Apartment 'break in' by mgmt - Page 2

Apartment 'break in' by mgmt

This is a discussion on Apartment 'break in' by mgmt within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 980 Grade 1 Deadbolt I am not sure of the pricing but I doubt it is anywhere 350 dollars. I have dabbled in locksmithing and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apartment 'break in' by mgmt

Lock suggestions

980 Grade 1 Deadbolt

I am not sure of the pricing but I doubt it is anywhere 350 dollars. I have dabbled in locksmithing and just today "bumped" a schlage 5 pin in 2 hits (about 10 seconds) and the first hit was my fault. The six pins are a sturdier lock and also use a less generic key blank. None of this will keep out a seasoned picker but it will keep out the smart guys watching you tube. The door brace is a good thought. As to strengthening the jamb plates will go a ways against a brute force attack.

Lock Reinforcement Hardware - Door Locks & Deadbolts - Ace Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Time to install a 'motel type' door lock...and have a serious talk with management.
    There is absolutely no reason to enter an apartment after sundown...PERIOD!
    I think the time for PC talking is over!
    People really only learn from pain.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Pain, or humor: To gently suggest a bit more situational awareness I photoshopped my daughter's face onto this image and sent it to her asking if she needs new boots.

I believe she's getting new locks tomorrow and a noisemaker by the end of the week... and I'll follow up on this. Thanks, all for the advice.
    Attached Images
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

this really sounds like something that could happen, I bet it did happen just this way. Still, they should not go into tenant rooms after sundown. I agree with the other member who said put locks on each bedroom door, heck I do that in my own house.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

OK going to make this short and sweet .

1) I was in the Apt. Maintenance business for 20 + years and a Maint. Supervisor for the last 18 of those years , and all the Co.s and Managers I worked for , had it in the leases that you could not change the locks for fire and flood reasons .

2) I made sure all locks where changed with a lock I re-keyed and cut new keys for . and no lock was mastered . a maint. person ( male or female ) had to go to the office day or night to get the keys from a locked key box. and log it out , IF that was not done , then you where fired for not following Co. prodacall.

3) I made sure every property had a key machine and blank keys . the ONLY reason to enter an apt. at night was FIRE and Flood and NEVER with out knocking three time with the handle of you screwdriver to make sure no-one was at home .

and if it is a Management Co. that runs the property for an owner , you can about bet the bank on it being run that way , I have only once walked in on a resident , and that was because his toilet ran over and was leaking down stars on another residents bed . and he had earphones on and didn't hear the knock . and until the last 5 years on the job did I worry about getting shot LOL

oh and P/S I put a mushroom pin in every lock so no-one could "Bump-Key" them and if all keys was some how lost we had to drill out the lock.

OK I lied it was long and bitter .

I used to be in property management and was the head of maintenance for two privately owned dorms at two community colleges. Per my orders NO personal were to enter a room without 24 hours notice to the tenants with stated reason, in an emergence they had to be with police, EMS, or the fire department.

The only exception was if the occupants were home and called for help.

All doors had steel knock down jambs and the doors had steel reinforcement around knobs and bolt to help prevent the bolt from breaking through the door.

In the summer all the entry door locks were removed and rotated to another dorm room in the opposite building.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Unfortunately, most apartments follow that same practice of not changing locks when tenants change.

It might be worthwhile for you to put a lock on your daughter's bedroom door, or at least for her to use a door-jam or burglar bar of some kind while she's sleeping.
    At least 1 room in every dwelling should be outfitted as a safe room, even if its just reinforcing the frame an locks.
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

You might suggest a change in policy regarding entering a room at night only in a declared emergency with emergency personnel present.

On the other hand, the easiest solution I can recommend is to have your daughter's bedroom door rehung with a solid core or steel door which she may deadbolt at night.

No running afoul of apartment policy and no complaints about "overboard" security from her roommates.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Actually their story was some guys living there called them. No details beyond what I gave you

But the question you and edr9x23super raise is a valid one: the apartment manager I just hollered at made it abundantly clear that they NEVER send two guys, and that their behavior suggested that the fellows were nothing of who they claimed to be. If one of the apartment guys DID take a non-employee into a unit, she says that at the least he'll lose his master key and he might be fired. And if it wasn't one of their people she'll have the lock changed today. She asked if the girls had called the authorities (which gives credence to her words of concern).

Of course, my reaction to a new lock was that if it was one of their people using a master key we would put our own lock on the door as they've demonstrated that they can't be trusted with a key to it. She (predictably) raised the "what about a fire or a flood?" argument; my counter was that if it was a flood, call the girls by cell phone since they attend school all of six blocks away, and if its a fire then just break through the door - and I would pay for it!

Thanks for the comments so far; hoping for more.
    I just wanted to post the same that I did in another topic, this is commonly used to avoid such behavior from Apt. Mang. and any others.

UltimateLock

UltimateLock

This Forum topic
    Got my attention today when I was reviewing our web traffic over fifty people visited the website. I just wanted to be available if any have question you are more than welcome to ask.

I do like to offer this video for you to learn more of The Ultimate Lock | Premium Home Security Deadbolt Door Lock
    residential 3000

YouTube - Home Security Deadbolt Door Lock -The Ultimate Lock

A reinforced bedroom door and door frame with its own deadbolt lock sounds great. Then she won't have to rely on her roommates remembering (or choosing) to lock the apartment front door.

It sounds like her roommates do not fully appreciate security, so they are untrustworthy to rely on.

If I paid for the reinforcements to be made, I would have no problem telling the other roommates why I was reinforcing my daughter's room only: "because YOU can't seem to remember to bolt the front door."

OK, got the call back from the apt manager (a very sharp and pleasant woman).

1) It was their guy (one guy; we're still waiting for the roommate who confronted him to call, as the report of 'two people' may have been inaccurate);
    2) The fellow was called by the renter who lives in same apartment number IN THE NEXT BUILDING, saying he was travelling and would the maintenence guy PLEASE turn off his extremely loud alarm clock as it would disturb the whole building if it rang the next morning for hours on end.
    3) The maintenence fellow had never been to this particular property before so he wasn't aware of the duplicate numbering (though a 15 years veteran at his previous job and they didn't want him to leave - only recently hired here),
    4) He says he knocked and rang the doorbell per procedure (plausible with the fans and exhaustion on the gals' part),
    5) He then let himself in (expecting nobody there), walked into Bedroom #1 and flipped on the light... only to find a girl asleep in the bed. Saying a bad word to himself he turned off the light and began his retreat (hoping she didn't awaken). But she did awake, and confronted him.
    6) After leaving, he then went to that same number apartment in the OTHER BUILDING and found and turned off the alarm clock per the caller's request.
    7) The maintenence guy forwarded to the manager a long email he had just finished writing to his pals about the incident, and it matched my daughter's report in everything except the number of people (which wasn't seen but guessed from voices) - the email was too long to have been written while they were on the phone.
    8) The apartment manager sounded so sharp (think of your best teacher or school administrator), that I'm pretty confident that her BS alarm would have gone off had he been trying to cover. As it was, he laughed ruefully when she called him with, "Did you have any maintenence calls last night...?", saying, "I figured I would get a call on this."

Looks like an honest 'oops' to me, but a useful attention-getter. Turns out they do NOT change out the locks between tenants unless they are missing keys - ludicrous, of course, and I harrumphed at my daughter for letting this one get by. I called and left a message sweetly stating, "This is of course unacceptable, and we'll expect those locks changed. If you don't want to do it today, we'll expect them to be changed out on Monday." And my daughter will be getting some long screws for the plates as well.
    A very good follow up report Sir!

I agree that it seems to be an honest mistake. This is one of the pitfalls of apartment living! It is very unfortunate, but people should know going in, that there is a chance things like this do happen.

The apt. manager seems to be very conscientious and professional in her management of the property. Consider that to be a big plus! Often times, that is not the case.

At this point, I think you are handling it well. Of course you should harden the door frames on both the striker plates and the hinges with longer screws. That should be done on any structure regardless of renting or owning. And it's one of the cheapest things to do.

Same goes for following up to ensure the locks are changed. I understand their policy of not routinely changing locks for all new tenants unless keys are missing. That is purely an economic decision, but you are certainly within your rights as a tenant to have the management change them. Like someone else posted, they will almost certainly keep one of the keys for their lawful use and it is probably written into the lease, so, likely no way around that.

However, your daughter could and should harden her personal bedroom door with the long screws as well and also maybe get one of those "Door Braces". They are cheap, usually under $20 and are very effective. Another alternative is one of the wedge shaped Door Alarms. They are usually in the $10 range. I use one of these when I travel and stay in motels and hotels. They not only act as a "door stop" but they sound a loud piercing alarm like a smoke detector. That would usually startle an intruder to the point they flee immediately. They are very effective!

Either one of those can be used either on the front door or your daughters bedroom door and not violate any lease agreements. (In case of fire, with the door brace type device, they are easily kicked away from the inside to allow quick escape but work very well against forced entry from the outside)

All the items I mentioned, including the screws for the hinges and strike plates can be had for somewhere in the $30 range. Probably less if you shop around. Just google "door brace" and "wedge door alarm" and you'll get a ton of sources for each of those.

Door Brace

Door Alarm

I hope these cheap and economical ideas help your situation.
    Last edited by Bark'n; September 21st, 2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add door alarm description of operation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Door Brace

I don't think the brace will stop anyone from getting through the door in that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I don't think the brace will stop anyone from getting through the door in that picture.
    Agreed! Poor picture for demonstration, but hopefully people get the point! They do work extremely well against forced entry.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Pain, or humor: To gently suggest a bit more situational awareness I photoshopped my daughter's face onto this image and sent it to her asking if she needs new boots.

I believe she's getting new locks tomorrow and a noisemaker by the end of the week... and I'll follow up on this. Thanks, all for the advice.
    Now that is a good one!!
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

If you all like, go to our youtube channel and watch what Pop A Lock did in showing how resistant our locks our.

If you have a Pop A Lock in your area, I can forward you a contact so that you and your daughter can get a great rate and a secure install on any of the products you chose... that door noise thing sounds great for my office....

Ultimatelock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links