Off topic and really stupid!!!!

This is a discussion on Off topic and really stupid!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Muslim teen sues Abercrombie over its 'Look Policy' Posted Sep 20th 2009 3:10PM by Tom Johansmeyer Filed under: Law, Abercrombie and Fitch (ANF) More Abercrombie ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off topic and really stupid!!!!

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

Off topic and really stupid!!!!

Muslim teen sues Abercrombie over its 'Look Policy'
    Posted Sep 20th 2009 3:10PM by Tom Johansmeyer
    Filed under: Law, Abercrombie and Fitch (ANF)

More

Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE: ANF) is being sued by a Muslim teenager who wanted to work at an Abercrombie Kids store in Oklahoma's Woodland Hills Mall. When she applied in June 2008, Samantha Elauf was told that the hijab she wears is inconsistent with Abercrombie's "Look Policy." So, the 17-year-old took her concerns to U.S. District Court on Wednesday, where a lawsuit was filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

A spokeswoman for the retailer wouldn't comment on the lawsuit but did indicate that the store has a strong policy around equal employment opportunity and that it accommodates religious practices "when possible."

In this case, the EEOC thinks it was possible and is seeking back pay and a permanent injunction against Abercrombie & Fitch from engaging in (what the EEOC says is) discriminatory employment practices. Also being pursued are monetary and non-monetary losses because of "emotional pain, suffering, anxiety, loss of enjoyment of life, humiliation and inconvenience." The suit also indicates that the plaintiff is looking for punitive damages.

This sort of action isn't completely new to Abercrombie & Fitch, which settled a lawsuit by the EEOC in 2004 – paying $50 million in a case where the company was accused of promoting whites ahead of minorities and developing an image that was almost all white.

What's America turning into

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Doesn't working in a store like that require to you to wear their clothes? A uniform of sorts? So if Muslim Mary can't or wont wear the uniform, why should she be hired?

I think next time I want to work somewhere, I'm going to tell the boss that I wont follow the company rules right away, then sue when they don't hire me. Stupid.

Actually, I support anybody who doesn't want to hire a person for any reason. Protected classes included. It is their company, they should run it how they see fit. The free market will decide what is acceptable and what is not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Doesn't working in a store like that require to you to wear their clothes? A uniform of sorts?

Actually, I support anybody who doesn't want to hire a person for any reason. Protected classes included. It is their company, they should run it how they see fit. The free market will decide what is acceptable and what is not.
    If wearing their clothing line as a sort of work uniform isn't a requirement now, I bet it will be in the future. OR it should be. If that's the case, I would think it should curtail similar lawsuits in the future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Sounds to me if the Muslim teenager wants to live and work here, then she needs to assimilate and not expect everyone to change to her customs.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    More proof that the government is more than willing to run our lives.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Hmm, I can think of lots of places that require the employees to wear a uniform.
    Will we have people suing every business that requires a uniform?

What a load of manure.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

You know, this is America. We have our own customs, language, and values. If people from other cultures wish to live and work here, they need to abide by our culture, not theirs. We can and do have toleration for other cultures, sure, but this goes way off the chart. Why is it always that when someone comes from another country, we suddenly have to accomodate or change to meet their culture? I'm all for sending her back to her previous country. There, she can live the way she feels comfortable.

I'm sure that if an American woman went to a Muslim country and got the chance to work, they would require her to abide by the laws of that culture, period. She would not have the opportunity to sue anyone.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Slightly different story, A&F, has already been sued over another teen trying to work there. She was hired, then fired for not following the "Look" policy. Because she had a prosthetic arm! She didnt want to wear gloves that covered her prosthetic arm, and was often hidden in the back room anytime Upper Management came to inspect the store. This company has other incidents of similar conduct.
    Also the Hijab is not discribed, for all we know it could be just the headscarf, its like wearing a cross for muslims. Its like you working at a store and getting fired for wearing your cross or other religious symbol.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Well, there's hijabs ...

and hijabs ...

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, there's hijabs ...

Would anyone want to go into an Abercrombie & Fitch and buy some thong underwear from this woman?

I Think Not!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Would anyone want to go into an Abercrombie & Fitch and buy some thong underwear from this woman?
    Depends on the thong.

NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't think she's the same woman ccw9mm.... Me thinks you're trying to sneak a different one in on us!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't think she's are the same woman ccw9mm.... Me thinks you're trying to sneak a different one in on us!
    I think it's the coloring. Nice shade and hue.

You complaining? I'll remove 'em. That's fine. Just say the word.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No way... pics are fine...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I rest my case.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links