Need running cadence device

Need running cadence device

This is a discussion on Need running cadence device within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello all. I am looking for a device, such as a watch, that I can set for 10 min mile or 6 miles per hour ...

Thread: Need running cadence device

Question Need running cadence device

Hello all. I am looking for a device, such as a watch, that I can set for 10 min mile or 6 miles per hour and it will beep for me when I need to plant my feet. Like a metronome would click so I can train outdoors at a specific speed. Does anyone make anything like this?
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

You might find something here. Not sure but it came up in a search of Google.

Metronomes from zZounds.com
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I use my breathing. Breathe in on the left foot, breath out on the left foot. If I need to breathe any faster I'm running too fast to maintain that pace, if I can breathe slower then I need to speed up.

VIP Member
    Something to consider: whatever you find would have to be adjustable. With the wide variety of stride lengths between people it would be hard to hit the right pace.

I don't know about you, but I would want it to stop after about a minute anyway. Not sure I could handle the electronic beeping for that long.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Perhaps you could find a nice DI to teach you some songs. Seems like my heart rate monitor had a feature like that. Not sure because I didn't use it.

Actually you can order/buy military cadence cds out there. I had some loaned to me from a friend that I downloaded on to an MP3 player for when I ran. Mine were Ranger...but you can get Marine, Green Beret, etc. Makes the runs go by quicker to.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

U.S. Calvary Store used to have those CD's. They're available online or at their showrooms across from Gates 2 & 7 at Fort Campbell, Ky. (Home of The 101st Airborne). I don't worship Airborne Rangers, but they DO have a time-honored tradition of running their recruit's little behinds into the ground!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    I just downloaded some on ITUNES and uploaded it to my ipod.. works GREAT!!!
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSWON View Post
    I use my breathing. Breathe in on the left foot, breath out on the left foot.
    I did the same thing. I found it to be fairly effective.

If you're willing to break up your breathing into 2-step, 4-step or 8-step variations, then you can essentially have three "gears" in your running. Worked well, for me, to handle these three basic situations (in terms of intensity):

• High: for handling brief sprints or incline grinds. This was the 2-step breathing sequence. Breathe IN on the 1st step, OUT on the 3rd, and so on. Anything faster than ~5:50/mi for me required this pace of breathing at least a portion of the time.

• Medium: for handling "race" pace and brisk training runs beyond 4mi or so. This was the 4-step breathing sequence. Breathe IN on the 1st step, OUT on the 5th, and so on. This was good for speeds up to ~6:00/mi or so, though improved fitness could drop me back into the 8-step sequence a fair amount of the time.

• Low: for handling training runs up to about ~7:00/mi or so. This was an 8-step sequence. Breathing IN on the 1st step, OUT on the 9th, and so on. Any faster than 7:00/mi, and generally I'd have to start boosting the air intake in order to stay energized.

Basically, this ties the breathing (as proxy for the heart's performance) to the pacing. Three gears in breathing could result in three pretty good ranges of speeds I could achieve. I knew to within 0:10 or 0:15sec/mi how fast I was going anyway, so this was just gravy.

It was a good gauge, in the days before all the fancy electronica. Of course, very often I was simply trying to keep up with my "training" buddies, to whom a 5:50/mi pacing was a relaxing evening jog ... which I could never understand.

You might consider fartlek-style interval training. There are lots of good write-ups out there on this method. Think: telephone poles, or every second "hash" line on the street. You can break up the run into a series of brief, high-intensity sections, then space those out as you work up and down in intensity. The whole run is getting you a better training "base", but the basic focus is on the regular, shorter periods of higher-intensity running. On longer runs on a road with lots of telephone poles, this can be a simple way to add a sort of cadence to your run. Of course, it'll be based on your fitness level, but doing fartlek training will accelerate that pretty quickly.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would always recall my favorite cadence from the Army. My favorite was always the one that ends in "If my 'chute don't open I'll use my reserve and if that don't open I'll loose my nerve" I don't know why I found that funny, I just do
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

There's nothing like the real thing! USMC has metronome by the name of Sr. Drill Instructor. He'll keep you right on track! And you'll know immediately if you put the wrong foot down or at the wrong time! Stop by and see your nearest recruiter! Tell them Bark'n sent you!

Ok, you might check out Casio line of sports watches. They make lots of fitness watches where you might find what you are looking for.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    There's nothing like the real thing! USMC has metronome by the name of Sr. Drill Instructor. He'll keep you right on track! And you'll know immediately if you put the wrong foot down or at the wrong time! Stop by and see your nearest recruiter! Tell them Bark'n sent you!

BTDT

FWIIW -- Sr. Drill Instructors have other techniques that will help you get in the best physical shape of your life.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Smile Service Cadences

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I would always recall my favorite cadence from the Army.
    Speaking of favorite cadence from the service reminds me of a story from when my son went to the Police Academy.

The instructor in charge of PT, a former member of the Corps, took him aside the first day and told him that when he (the instructor) called for someone in the class to call a cadence my son was not to call a USMC cadence w/o prior approval.

Can't imagine why.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links