Religious beliefs and self defense?

This is a discussion on Religious beliefs and self defense? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by grady Christ commanded his disciples to be armed... and it wasn't just so they could compare swords at the next barbecue or ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Religious beliefs and self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Christ commanded his disciples to be armed... and it wasn't just so they could compare swords at the next barbecue or fish fry.

Thank you.....I like that one. LOL!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Awesome replies folks. I humbled and honored by the company I share on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Exactly.

Christ commanded his disciples to be armed... and it wasn't just so they could compare swords at the next barbecue or fish fry.
    Although St. Rockus of Pure Kustom Togas & Leather, was known to have made some very nice sheaths. I believe you can see an example in the painting "The Last BBQ" by Larryangelo (Michaelangelos brother).

The key point is your attitude. You'd be violating the Commandment if you allow the feeling of hate.

Otherwise self-defense (and defense of others) is not only OK but commendable.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAz View Post
    Although St. Rockus of Pure Kustom Togas & Leather, was known to have made some very nice sheaths. I believe you can see an example in the painting by Larryangelo's (Michaels brother) "The Last BBQ".

I'm no expert on the bible, but I can't believe protecting myself and my family from the evil intentions of "bad guys" is a sin.

Last week I went on a motorcycle ride with a friend and his friend (Bill) who I had not met before. In the course of several days of riding I learned that Bill was a pastor of his church, and that he was pocket carrying a small .22 revolver. He obviously had no problem with the concept of self defense. I did question his choice of a weapon though! He replied that all his other pistols were too large for motorcycle carry.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    After the preparation, awareness, avoidance, negotiation, and all else fails, it will come to kill or be killed. No more. No less. God will sort out the souls.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ditto for QKShooter; Also - My prayer has been "Lord, please don't let me shoot anyone who doesn't need shooting."
    For God, Family and Country!

As you can tell...I feel strongly about what the bible has to say about defensive carry and lethal defense. I felt Sooooo strongly about it, I had my holster modeled around it.

If this is Not appropriate in this discussion, please delete.
    Last edited by 1911PKR; September 23rd, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAz View Post
    Although St. Rockus of Pure Kustom Togas & Leather, was known to have made some very nice sheaths. I believe you can see an example in the painting "The Last BBQ" by Larryangelo (Michaelangelos brother).

Keep in mind that King David was both a "man after God's heart" and someone who "shed too much blood to build the temple." I don't feel that the last statement is going to keep him from heaven, and neither did he from what I read. And David even committed and repented of a murder for hire of sorts. Saul of Tarsis was complicit in the murder of Stephen. Do you think Saul, later Paul, is now in heaven? I do. Most of my ideas on this subject have already been presented. Just thought I would add these. Great discussion. Something I have put lots of thought into. I don't feel any less Christian when I carry to Church Sunday morning, but I do feel more capable of taking care of my family, and my Church family if need be.

If you take a good look at the life of Jesus, his ministry was bookended by some pretty serious attacks on money changers in the temple. He spent the middle regularly verbally attacking the religious elite. The man was not scared of confrontation. He likely stopped the attack in the garden of Gethsemine more because it interfered with the greater plan of salvation instead of the defense aspect of it. The idea that Christians are required to be pacifists and just take one for the cause is misguided and not based in scripture. IMO.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    There are, of course, as many answers as there are people. An old Jewish maxim says, "Wherever there are two Jews, there are three opinions." The same is true of Catholics, Methodists, Presbyterians...well, you get the point.

However, to answer your question, the Commandment forbidding killing is about murder, not self-defense.

The biblical injunction about an eye for an eye was to limit retribution style killings (think Hatfield and McCoy killing one, then the other clan getting revenge by killing two, and continuing to escalate the vengeance).

I am a pastor. There are a lot of pastors on this board. I can't imagine a single one of them who believes that one does not have the right to self-defense. IMO, Jesus gave up his life so we don't have to. If someone wants to kill me for my belief, then I would likely submit. If some crackhead wants to take my life or my family's, I am protecting myself.

Finally, IIRC, it was Thomas Aquinas who first authored the theory of "just war." It defined when a Christian could go to war in a moral way. If there can be just wars, there can be just defense, even of oneself.
    +1 Couldn't have said it any better.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Thanks guys there are some awesome replies here with a lot of great info that I wasn't aware of as relates to the bible.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I've always believed that "thou shall not kill" pertained to one doing evil with malice in their heart towards another,i.e. to kill someone in cold blood versus in defense of one's own life or the life of another innocent. So what I'm trying to say here is that,is it believed that someone kills another human being in self defense is it viewed as a mortal sin? I've always been a pretty religious person and believe in my faith and in god,but I every now and then wonder how I'll be regarded in the next life if forced to do the unthinkable in this one.

I hope to god I'm never forced to use my gun to kill another human being,even in defense of my life or a loved ones. However if one is forced to do so does this mean they will be commended to hell,for the act of murder?
    Think of it as a soldier does in combat. I recall many years ago of being shelled and shot at for weeks on end. It was down-right exhillerating when we got to reciprocate with kill(s). You may consider that to be a cruel and uncaring attitude. However, I have yet to meet a solder who underwent a similar experience who had any scruples or regrets whatsoever.

All that being said, we all would like the opportunity to meet some of those guys who were shooting at us. Some of them were damn good, and it is now time to meet and re-live the past under more pleasant and less stressful conditions. To see how these attitudes change, see the story by my colleague:

Enemies No More
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

IF it helps.... I know several Ministers that carry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links