Terrorist actions in the news...?

This is a discussion on Terrorist actions in the news...? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have seen 2 news articles this week where the Feds are going after domestic terrorism in full force. The things they are being arrested ...

Thread: Terrorist actions in the news...?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Terrorist actions in the news...?

I have seen 2 news articles this week where the Feds are going after domestic terrorism in full force. The things they are being arrested and charged with are a little sketchy.

Now don't take this to mean that I am soft on terrorism. These .gov agencies have done a great job since 9/11 (as there have be no serious domestic incidents). Still, from the little info we have seen made public, i am scratching my head.

Terror suspect allegedly planned to attack Marine base - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A North Carolina man accused of plotting to wage holy war overseas also planned to attack the U.S. Marine base at Quantico, Virginia, according to new charges announced Thursday.
    Daniel Boyd previously was charged with conspiracy to support terrorists and conspiracy to murder.

The charge is one of three counts in a new indictment against Daniel Patrick Boyd, who authorities allege is the ringleader of a group of men charged with training in North Carolina for a "violent jihad." Boyd and another man, Hysen Sherifi, are charged with conspiring to murder U.S. military personnel.

"Boyd undertook reconnaissance of the Marine Corps Base located in Quantico, Virginia, and obtained maps of the base in order to plan an attack on Quantico," the charges state.

FBI agents found weapons, thousands of rounds of ammunition and $13,000 cash in Boyd's Raleigh-area home, an FBI agent testified at an August bond hearing for the men, who were arrested in late July. The original indictment says the men practiced military tactics in a North Carolina county that borders Virginia.

The latest indictment also charges Boyd, Sherifi, and Boyd's son Zakariya with possession of weapons in furtherance of a crime of violence, while Boyd faces an additional charge of providing a rifle and ammunition to a convicted felon.

Boyd and seven others already have been charged with conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists and conspiracy to murder, kidnap, maim and injure people. One of the men is believed to have fled to Pakistan, and the remaining men are in custody.

In August, a federal judge denied bail for the seven in custody, but expressed skepticism about the charges against them. Magistrate Judge William Webb said the defendants made a number statements espousing holy war, and said the statements could be interpreted in isolation as braggadocio.

But he agreed to keep them in jail because some of them had amassed a large arsenal and engaged in firearms training
    Those last 2 paragraphs really irk me. The judge is skeptical about if the charges are valid, but will hold them because of (what are possibly) legally owned firearms and legal training. hmmm....

Undertook reconnaissance of the base? Obtained a map? What does that mean? I like to take photos of things... I have lots of maps too? How many people on this board have undergone "military style firearms training"?

and this one: Official: More questioned in NYC terrorism probe - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK – Hundreds of investigators have widened their probe of a potential terrorist bomb plot by questioning more residents of a New York City neighborhood raided last week.

A law enforcement official familiar with the probe says investigators are re-interviewing people already questioned in Queens.

The apartments were searched after a visit this month from 24-year-old Najibullah Zazi (nah-jee-BOO'-lah ZAH'-zee), of Colorado. Backpacks and cell phones were removed from one home.

The official wasn't authorized to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Authorities are trying to determine the scope of a possible plot to detonate homemade bombs. Zazi, his father and a New York City imam have been charged with lying to the FBI.

The arrests and raids led to a flurry of nationwide terrorism warnings.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

NEW YORK (AP) — Police acting without the FBI's knowledge might have inadvertently helped blow the surveillance of a terrorism suspect and compromised a bomb plot investigation at a sensitive stage by questioning an imam about him, a criminal complaint suggests.

"They came to ask me about your characters," the Muslim religious leader, Ahmad Wais Afzali, told Najibullah Zazi in a secretly recorded Sept. 11 telephone conversation. "They asked me about you guys."

At least one of those New York Police Department detectives, referred to in the recently unsealed criminal complaint, works for a division that operates independently from an FBI-run terrorism task force.

Zazi, a 24-year-old Denver airport shuttle driver, his father and Afzali were charged last weekend with lying to the FBI in a probe of a possible al-Qaida plot to detonate homemade explosives. Authorities say they found bomb-making instructions on a hard drive on Zazi's laptop but knew of no specific time or place for a possible attack.

The arrests came after a series of high-profile raids of several city apartments in a neighborhood where Zazi had recently visited, and were followed by an intense flurry of nationwide warnings of possible strikes on transit, sports and entertainment complexes.

A criminal complaint suggests that the NYPD and FBI might have tipped off Zazi even before the imam's call by towing and searching a rental car he was using on his trip to New York City. The maneuver, authorities say, produced evidence of the bomb-making instructions on his laptop.

In the phone conversation with Afzali, Zazi said the car's disappearance convinced him he was being watched.

NYPD and FBI officials have denied that the potential missteps forced their hand in last week's raids, prompted Zazi to abort his New York visit and caused friction between the two agencies, which work together through the Joint Terrorism Task Force.

NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly, asked Tuesday whether he had any concerns about the handling of Afzali, declined to comment on the investigation beyond what was in court papers, saying the probe was classified.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne insisted the NYPD and the FBI "worked closely and successfully in this case and in scores of others." He declined further comment.

Zazi's arrest in Colorado touched off several national terrorism warnings and advisories, with authorities cautioning transit systems, sports stadiums, hotels and entertainment complexes to be vigilant as investigators search for more suspects in a possible al-Qaida plot to set off hydrogen-peroxide bombs.

Law enforcement officials said Zazi might have been plotting with others to detonate backpack bombs on New York trains in a scheme similar to the attacks on the London subway and Madrid's rail system in the last few years. Backpacks and cell phones were seized in raids on apartments Zazi visited in New York.

In a statement, the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security said that while the agencies "have no information regarding the timing, location or target of any planned attack, we believe it is prudent to raise the security awareness of our local law enforcement partners regarding the targets and tactics of previous terrorist activity."

Afzali's attorney, Ron Kuby, has said his client had a history of giving police information as a community liaison and religious leader in his Queens neighborhood. Kuby claimed Afzali was doing their bidding by talking to Zazi and finding out what he was up to.

"My client is being blamed for an investigation botched by the authorities," Kuby said Tuesday. "It's much easier to blame some obscure Afghan imam."

A criminal complaint says NYPD detectives first visited Afzali at his home on Sept. 10.

Around that time, the public was unaware that federal authorities were tracking a suburban Denver man with possible links to al-Qaida who had driven to New York City — Zazi. The complaint says that unnamed detectives showed Afzali photos of Zazi and that Afzali admitted he recognized him.

Kuby said one of the detectives was his client's usual police contact, an investigator assigned to the police department's Intelligence Division, not the terrorism task force.

The day after police spoke to Afzali, the FBI intercepted his phone call with Zazi discussing the NYPD's inquiry. The next day, Afzali's lawyer said, his client had his first-ever contact with the FBI, when he agreed to answer questions at their Manhattan headquarters.

On Sept. 14, Afzali also agreed to a search of his home, then gave DNA samples and a written statement on Sept. 17, the attorney said.

Afzali was arrested on Sunday on charges he lied in the statement by denying that he had tipped off Zazi.
    He was initially arrested for lying to investigators. (if he did, he was dumb!) I also read that he obtained hydrogen peroxide to build an explosive device. Did he buy a bottle at Walmart to dye his hair or was this really a serious bomb-making pursuit? Evidence of bomb making instructions? The US Military published the "Improvised Munitions Handbook" in WWII. Does that count?

I suppose we shall have to wait and see the legal process unfold to know if the info we are being given is true...

2. Remove Ads

We have plenty of home-grown terrorists who think that a Jihad against the United States Government and/or citizens is a noble venture. Tim McVeigh comes to mind, and although he wasn't Muslim, he was still a terrorist no doubt. I have no problem in our agencies finding any terrorist, be they home grown or imported. However, they don't need a license to trample over our Constitutional rights either. Being vigilant is one thing, but oppressive is another. It's a very hard job to do, and I wouldn't want that kind of responsibility sitting on my shoulders, so I'm glad there are those who can do it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The FBI is not tracking people because they are buying chemicals for personal purposes or for ferterlizing their gardens. These are bad guys, and sometimes proving it is difficult. At least the intended project(s) has been 'delayed', or better yet...cancelled.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Does anyone else find it amazing that when these types of stories were coming up during the Bush Administration that the media was always saying that the White House was 'crying wolf' to deflect attention from other matters?

Funny you aren't hearing that now.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    News update today. Seems like they are releasing more info that truly implicates this guy... he does sound like a BG. Good for the NYPD and Feds!

NYC terror attack apparently was set for Sept. 11 - Yahoo! News

NYC terror attack apparently was set for Sept. 11

File - Terrorism suspect Najibullah Zazi arrives at the offices of the FBI in AP File - Terrorism suspect Najibullah Zazi arrives at the offices of the FBI in Denver for questioning

* N.Y., Colo. Terror Probes Slideshow:N.Y., Colo. Terror Probes
    * Feds Say Man Tried To Cook Up Homemade Bombs Play Video Video:Feds Say Man Tried To Cook Up Homemade Bombs CBS4 Denver
    * The Ingredients Of Terror? Play Video Video:The Ingredients Of Terror? CBS 2 New York

By IVAN MORENO and P. SOLOMON BANDA, Associated Press Writer Ivan Moreno And P. Solomon Banda, Associated Press Writer 2 hrs 5 mins ago

DENVER An Afghan immigrant wanted to carry out a New York City terror attack involving hydrogen peroxide bombs to coincide with the Sept. 11 anniversary before federal authorities foiled the plan, a U.S. prosecutor said Friday.

Tim Neff told a federal judge that Najibullah Zazi "was in the throes of making a bomb and attempting to perfect his formulation."

"The evidence suggests a chilling, disturbing sequence of events showing the defendant was intent on making a bomb and being in New York on 9/11, for purposes of perhaps using such items," Neff declared in arguing for Zazi's transfer to New York.

Ken Deal, the chief deputy U.S. marshal in Denver, said Zazi was put on a U.S. government plane and flown out of southern Denver's Centennial Airport at 12:15 p.m. MDT little more than an hour after U.S. Magistrate Judge Craig Shaffer ordered Zazi transferred to New York City to face charges of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction.

Deal said it was possible Zazi could appear in federal court in Brooklyn late Friday. The charge against Zazi carries a possible life sentence upon conviction.

Zazi, a 24-year-old Afghan-born coffee cart owner in New York and Denver airport shuttle driver, sat expressionless during the Denver court hearing, staring at a decanter on the defense table.

Zazi's attorney, Arthur Folsom, argued at the hearing that Zazi should be released on bond with electronic monitoring. He said Zazi has family ties in Colorado: His parents and five siblings.

"If that's not an indication of strong family ties to the state of Colorado, I don't know what is," Folsom said.

Shaffer disagreed, saying Zazi had been in Colorado less than a year. "He has very little reason to stay," the judge said.

Zazi has publicly denied being a terrorist since he was arrested on Saturday and charged with lying to FBI agents during three days of voluntary interviews. That count was considered a holding charge pending Thursday's indictment.

The U.S. indictment says Zazi received explosives training from al-Qaida and bought large quantities of hydrogen peroxide and nail-polish remover at beauty supply stores to make bombs, possibly to detonate on New York City commuter trains.

Investigators have fanned out across the Denver area and New York City, going to beauty shops, home improvement stores and neighborhoods Zazi frequented looking for possible accomplices, while the government issued national terrorism warnings for sports complexes, hotels and transit systems.

A law enforcement official told The Associated Press on Thursday that Zazi had associates in New York who were in on the plot. Court papers say that during the summer, Zazi and three unidentified associates bought "unusually large quantities" of hydrogen peroxide and acetone a flammable solvent found in nail-polish remover from beauty supply stores in the Denver area, products with names like Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer and Clairoxide.

Zazi searched a Queens home improvement store Web site for another ingredient needed to make a compound called TATP (Triacetone Triperoxide), the explosives used in the London bombings that killed over 50 people, prosecutors said.

A government motion seeking to deny bail laid out a chronology of the alleged scheme, which prosecutors said had been in the works for more than a year.

Zazi a legal U.S. resident who immigrated in 1999 began plotting as early as August 2008 to "use one or more weapons of mass destruction," when he "and others" traveled from Newark, N.J., to receive explosives training in Pakistan, prosecutors said.

Within days of returning from Pakistan in early 2009, he moved to the Denver suburb of Aurora, where he used a computer to research homemade bomb ingredients and to look up beauty supply stores where he could buy them, according to prosecutors.

A second law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation said associates of Zazi visited Colorado from New York to help him buy the chemicals, using stolen credit cards to make the purchases before returning to New York.

Security video and receipts show that some of the purchases were made near a Colorado hotel, according to court papers. On Sept. 6 and 7, Zazi checked into a suite at the hotel with a kitchen and a stove, the papers say, and tried to contact an unidentified associate "seeking to correct mixtures of ingredients to make explosives."

"Zazi repeatedly emphasized in the communications that he needed the answers right away," the papers said. "Each communication" was "more urgent than the last."

FBI explosives testing later found residue in the vent above the stove, authorities said.

On Sept. 8, court papers say, Zazi searched the Internet for home improvement stores in Queens before driving a rental car for a two-day trip to the city. The visit triggered a series of searches in Denver and New York City over the past two weeks, and netted backpacks, cell phones and a scale at a Queens home where Zazi spent the night.

A law enforcement official said Thursday that authorities had been especially worried about Zazi's Sept. 10 visit to the city because it coincided with a visit by President Barack Obama, and considered arresting him right away. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation continues.

Beauty supply store employees in New York and the Denver suburbs said authorities had been asking whether anyone had come in buying a lot of hydrogen peroxide or acetone.

At Beauty Supply Warehouse in suburban Denver, Paul Phillips said a co-worker told investigators he had sold chemicals to Zazi. Company president Karan Hoss said the firm turned over security video of a man matching Zazi's description to the FBI. A check of sales found that someone bought a dozen 32-ounce bottles of a hydrogen peroxide product in July. More was purchased in late August, Hoss said.

Zazi's father, Mohammed Wali Zazi, and a New York City imam, Ahmad Wais Afzali, appeared in court Thursday on charges they lied to investigators. Mohammed Zazi, 53, was ordered freed under court supervision in Denver until an Oct. 9 hearing. Afzali, who was accused of tipping off the Zazis to the federal probe against them in a tapped telephone call, was released in New York on $1.5 million bail.

Sounds like a clear cut case of racial profiling to me

Now this stuff is scary.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Does anyone else find it amazing that when these types of stories were coming up during the Bush Administration that the media was always saying that the White House was 'crying wolf' to deflect attention from other matters?

Funny you aren't hearing that now.
    That thought has crossed my mind.

We are living in some really crazy times and WE have some home grown terrorists to deal with as well as the Muslim's. I for one think they may slow it down a notch or two when they start to execute the treasonous slimeballs.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    Actually there have been 4 terrorist "bombers" total caught recently.
    It was on the news today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Two men unconnected to each other or to the investigation that has spawned recent national terrorism warnings are in federal custody after attempting to detonate what they thought were bombs outside an Illinois courthouse and a Texas skyscraper, authorities said.

Michael C. Finton, 29, who also went by the name Talib Islam and idolized American born Taliban soldier John Walker Lindh, was arrested Wednesday in Springfield, Ill., after federal officials said he attempted to set off explosives in a van outside a federal courthouse in the Illinois capital.

Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, 19, who is a Jordanian national, was arrested Thursday in Dallas after federal officials said he placed what he believed to be a car bomb in a parking garage beneath the 60-story Fountain Place office tower.

In both cases, decoy devices were provided to the men by FBI agents posing as Al Qaeda operatives. Both are charged with trying to detonate a weapon of mass destruction and face up to life in prison if convicted.

Finton also is charged with attempting to murder federal officers or employees.

Finton appeared in federal court in Springfield on Thursday and said he was an unmarried, part-time cook at a fish and chicken restaurant in the central Illinois city of Decatur. He was ordered held pending action by a grand jury. A message was left for his attorney, federal defender Robert Scherschlight.

Smadi, who federal prosecutors said lived and worked in the north central Texas town of Italy, was to appear in court Friday. Court documents did not list a defense attorney.

Finton had been closely monitored by federal agents including in the months leading up to his arrest, according to a federal affidavit in his case. It said an FBI agent who posed as an al-Qaida operative presented Finton on Wednesday with a van containing materials he described as explosive but which actually were harmless.

The two men parked the van at the courthouse and close to the office of U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock, R-Ill., which Finton allegedly hoped also would be damaged. They then drove a short distance to where Finton twice used a cell phone to try to detonate the explosives, the affidavit said. He was arrested immediately.

A similar scenario played out Thursday in Texas, where the FBI had been keeping tabs on Smadi since an undercover agent discovered him in an online extremists group, according to an affidavit in that case.

"He stood out based on his vehement intention to actually conduct terror attacks in the United States," FBI supervisory special agent Thomas Petrowski wrote.

Undercover agents communicated and met with Smadi over several months, posing as members of an Al Qaeda sleeper cell, according to Petrowski's affidavit. The agents provided Smadi with what he believed was a car bomb but was actually an inert device, it said.

Smadi on Thursday parked a vehicle containing the device in a garage beneath the Dallas office tower and set the device's timer, the affidavit said. Smadi then met with an agent, who drove several blocks away and Smadi dialed a cell phone in an attempt to detonate the bomb, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit in the Illinois case traced two years of activities by Finton. It said Finton's parole on a previous conviction was revoked in August 2007 and writings found at the time included reference to a letter to Lindh, who was captured fighting for the Taliban in Afghanistan. The affidavit said Finton later told police and agents that he idolized Lindh, who is now in prison.

Public records show Finton was in an Illinois prison from 1999 until 2005 aggravated robbery and aggravated battery convictions. After getting out, Finton told his parole officer he had converted to Islam, the affidavit said.

The affidavit said Finton's bank records showed that in March 2008 he received a wire transfer of $1,375.14 from "Asala Hussain Abiba" in Saudi Arabia and the next day sent the money to a travel agency. It said that April, he went on a monthlong trip to Saudi Arabia, but did not provide details on what he did there.

Authorities said the Finton and Smadi cases are not connected to that of Najibullah Zazi, a 24-year-old airport shuttle driver who federal officials allege received explosives training from Al Qaeda and bought large quantities of hydrogen peroxide and nail-polish remover in a plot to build bombs for attacks on U.S. soil.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Actually there have been 4 terrorist "bombers" total caught recently.
    It was on the news today.
    I don't get the up to life in prison part, why not execution?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    WHY waste them just by simply executing them?

Personally....I'd ship them to Iraq...feed them only stale bread & water...and give them "jobs" as expendables walking and riding in front of our troops since they seem to love bombs so much.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    WHY waste them just by simply executing them?

Personally....I'd ship them to Iraq...feed them only stale bread & water...and give them "jobs" as expendables walking and riding in front of our troops since they seem to love bombs so much.
    That's the best idea I've heard yet.

NRA Member

Animal Rights terrorists tear down TV towers,
    Islamic terrorist looks to blow up building in Dallas,
    Islamic terrorist looks to blow up Federal Building in Illinois,
    Islamic Terrorist constructing bombs in Colorado,
    Islamic Terrorists looking for targets in NYC,
    Far-left Anarchists battle police at G20...

And peaceful protest against health care reform and tea parties makes Pelosi cry and fearful for the safety of officials. Ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Freakdaddy View Post
    Animal Rights terrorists tear down TV towers,
    Islamic terrorist looks to blow up building in Dallas,
    Islamic terrorist looks to blow up Federal Building in Illinois,
    Islamic Terrorist constructing bombs in Colorado,
    Islamic Terrorists looking for targets in NYC,
    Far-left Anarchists battle police at G20...

And peaceful protest against health care reform and tea parties makes Pelosi cry and fearful for the safety of officials. Ridiculous!
    I was thinking the same thing!

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

Up is down...and down is up.
    Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. Winston Churchill

Links