'Bedazzler': Non-Lethal Weaponry

This is a discussion on 'Bedazzler': Non-Lethal Weaponry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Our first open source Homeland Security non-lethal weapon project - The "THE BEDAZZLER: A Do-it-yourself Handheld LED-Incapacitator". After attending a conference where the $1 million ...

Our first open source Homeland Security non-lethal weapon project - The "THE BEDAZZLER: A Do-it-yourself Handheld LED-Incapacitator".

After attending a conference where the $1 million "sea-sick flashlight" (named "THE DAZZLER") was demonstrated by the US Dept. of Homeland Security, we decided to create our own version. For under $250, you can build your own dazzler and we've released the source code, schematics and PCB files to make it easy. A great Arduino project for people who really like blinking LEDs. We also added in a mode selection so you can put it into some pretty color-swirl modes, great for raves and parties!

Yes this project does indeed cause: Nausea, dizziness, headache, flashblindness, eye pain and (occasional?) vomiting! So don't use it on your friends or pets

Please note: This is not a kit, nor for sale...so don't ask us. All documentation is on the design and download pages

Source w/ video - Bedazzler - DIY non-lethal weaponry

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Can you send the spec's to DHS and save the tax payers the $1 million?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I'm sure they already are aware and have as much.
    It's not fair nor accurate to call it that simply though.

The $1M price is inclusive of the R&D necessary to figure out the science, develop the technology, research it's effectiveness and prove it is viable, create a working prototype, test that on multiple subjects across multiple uses, make edits/revisions which are always necessary with product development, followed by...tada end product development and delivery.

Reverse engineering and duplicating other peoples work through their as patented and thus public plans is of course going to be easier and far less expensive.
    But that is because all the leg work and cost has been fronted by someone else to start.

Anyway this would be an interesting DIY project for a hobbyist as toward a personal or home defense item.
    Further it could be hard wired and mounted at ones door as well as handheld as shown.

Just an idea...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Uhhhhh... trademark infringement...?

This is the first thing I thought of...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'm still waiting for the do-it-yourself "Brown Note" amplifier.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Uhhhhh... trademark infringement...?

This is the first thing I thought of...
    The first thing I thought was gluing rhinestones to the EDC for the confusion factor!

Seriously though, I'm an electronics tinkerer, and it looks like an interesting project.

Links