The weapon shops of isher

This is a discussion on The weapon shops of isher within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone read this book? As a big fan of science fiction, I just recently stumbled across this book and what a great piece of literature. ...

Anyone read this book? As a big fan of science fiction, I just recently stumbled across this book and what a great piece of literature.

It is an interesting mix of 2A philosophy and classic sci-fi. There's also a lot of social commentary on political/corporate power clashes and urban vs. rural lifestyles. I was surprised to find that those idea could be integrated and articulated so well without sounding "preachy".

But there are enough plot twists and compelling story lines to make it an interesting read even for those who don't share the same political views gun owners do.

Anyways, it probably sounds like I'm getting paid for such an endorsement (would be nice if I was), but I'm just trying to spread this forgotten gem around. Highly recommend you guys check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggles View Post
    Anyone read this book? As a big fan of science fiction, I just recently stumbled across this book and what a great piece of literature.

It is an interesting mix of 2A philosophy and classic sci-fi. There's also a lot of social commentary on political/corporate power clashes and urban vs. rural lifestyles. I was surprised to find that those idea could be integrated and articulated so well without sounding "preachy".

But there are enough plot twists and compelling story lines to make it an interesting read even for those who don't share the same political views gun owners do.

Anyways, it probably sounds like I'm getting paid for such an endorsement (would be nice if I was), but I'm just trying to spread this forgotten gem around. Highly recommend you guys check it out.
    Not sure if it was that one, but I did read one of them. Good take on 2A, and how a good weapon can restore the balance of power.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Actually, I think there was three books with one being a rewrite of another.

I read them first about 40 years ago (yes they are that old). and liked them then. I reread them again and I still like them.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Ah, I'd forgotten all about it. I will have to re-read it. Been a long time since I read any good SF. And I'm quite sure I'll have a very different reaction to that story than I would have had in my 20's.

"I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

jfl
    Read it 40-50 years ago; good book, have always liked A.E. VanVogt, especially the "null-A" series.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I remember the title and some of the plot line, and that it was well written. I'll have to dive into my collection and see if I have a copy to re-read.

If you have time to read books your slacking on your DC contribution to reading and posting
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

[sticks tongue out] "thbthbthbthbthbthbthbt !!!"

Books always come before online chatting. No contest!

"I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Links