House across the street was broken into

This is a discussion on House across the street was broken into within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last night my neighbor's dogs were driving me nuts, been barking for 3 1/2 years. I was having a bad day, so was the wife. ...

Last night my neighbor's dogs were driving me nuts, been barking for 3 1/2 years. I was having a bad day, so was the wife. So at 10:00 P.M. I yelled out the door "Shut Up!" Come to find out the dogs were outside in their back yard barking and their house had been broken into. The woman of the house told me that men in masks broke in and her husband was on the kitchen floor covered in blood. I asked if she called the police and she said she did. I closed my door, got my wife in the baby's room, stationed the dogs in the hallway and got my firearm.
    Here is the part that is really bothering me. No fire truck or ambulance came to provide medical attention. There was only a State Trooper and 4 or 5 Sheriff's Deputies. Over the last month there has been an increase in visitors to the home that I have never seen before and on two occasions I could smell pot smoke coming from the home all the way across the street.
    In my mind nobody would randomly target this home when the owners are home, 2 big dogs and all the lights are on unless they knew the house had something they were looking for. I was not approached by the police to see if I had witnessed anything. Should I go to the police and see if I can provide any information that could be useful? Any advise would be appreciated.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Well, you apparently have neighbors who are into the drug culture. What's new?

If you in fact have smelled pot smoke, then at the very least, they are users.

People who use illegal drugs are at risk for trouble to befall upon them in one form or another.

I don't care how people live their lives as long as it doesn't affect me. I have neighbors on both sides of me and across the street who are into the drug culture. One neighbor is wearing an ankle bracelet as I type this.

I give them a wide berth and they do the same with me. They know I work in EMS and don't hassle me. They do not know I am a tactical medic on the county SRT team. I don't treat them any different as anyone else. Our LEO's know who they are so they don't need me attempting to perform any enforcement on them and I don't bother. Yes, I have had on duty LEO's call me and say, keep an eye out if a certain car stops by at so and so's house and call me if you see it. No prob. But, I have to live next to these people and I do my best not to create problems for me. The LEO's know this as well and do what they can not to create waves for me from these people either.

It's always a cat and mouse game with druggies. For the most part my neighbors keep to them self, however a couple of them do deal and we are pretty sure at least one of the houses cook meth. The cops keep a watchful eye, and I keep a watchful eye. The drug task force has had them on their list for a while and do what they can to make cases. Like I said, one is wearing an ankle bracelet right now because he is on house arrest. I have been told he did make a sale to one of the UC officers of the task force, so in the long run, he may end up doing some time. But then again, maybe he won't. The judicial system is what it is and plea's are made and probation is dolled out like candy in a parade, so it remains to be seen what ends up happening.

So, to answer your question...
    Quote Originally Posted by chains1240
    Should I go to the police and see if I can provide any information that could be useful?
    Just what exactly are you going to tell them which may be useful? Did you actually see anything? Unless you can provide any specific details as to who broke in and what vehicle they were driving and what the license plate number is, just what else is going to be useful? Oh yeah officer, I smelled some pot coming from their house one time! Not exactly the crime of the century.

My advice is to just be watchful and look after yourself and yours. I'd chalk the incident up as just finding out a little bit of "intel" regarding the type of people your neighbors are and keep that info to yourself and act accordingly with regards to your own safety.

I'm sure there are gonna be a lot of others who don't agree with that course of action, and that's cool.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n, gave some pretty good advice.

No sense in drawing any more attention to yourself of putting yourself into the mix of some drug users/dealers.

You already know that they people who broke into their house were not afraid to do it when they were home. Do you want you, your wife and child to be targets of these people should they get wind of your trying to "help" the police even though you don't really have any info to help them with.

I am in no way saying you shouldn't be concerned about what is going on, nor saying you should not keep an extra eye out on the neighbors. Just right now you don't have anything useful enough to draw attention to yourself and your family.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    ...on two occasions I could smell pot smoke coming from the home all the way across the street.

Wow... you got a sensitive sniffer, or you live next to Snoop Dog...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Thanks for the advice guys. I will just put this incident in the ol' memory bank. They can't be too traumatized by the incident since they have their front door wide open today. If they were looking for something in that house my house is just as unlikely to be targeted as before.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Wow... you got a sensitive sniffer, or you live next to Snoop Dog...
    Not a sensitive sniffer. A man swung the front door open to go to his truck and my wife and I both smelled it wafting across the street.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Guy prob owed some money or some drugs to someone tougher than him, not a break-in....more like a collection I bet.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Sounds like you live across the street from Cheech and Chong...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Well, you apparently have neighbors who are into the drug culture. What's new?

If you in fact have smelled pot smoke, then at the very least, they are users.

People who use illegal drugs are at risk for trouble to befall upon them in one form or another.

I don't care how people live their lives as long as it doesn't affect me. I have neighbors on both sides of me and across the street who are into the drug culture. One neighbor is wearing an ankle bracelet as I type this.

I give them a wide berth and they do the same with me. They know I work in EMS and don't hassle me. They do not know I am a tactical medic on the county SRT team. I don't treat them any different as anyone else. Our LEO's know who they are so they don't need me attempting to perform any enforcement on them and I don't bother. Yes, I have had on duty LEO's call me and say, keep an eye out if a certain car stops by at so and so's house and call me if you see it. No prob. But, I have to live next to these people and I do my best not to create problems for me. The LEO's know this as well and do what they can not to create waves for me from these people either.

It's always a cat and mouse game with druggies. For the most part my neighbors keep to them self, however a couple of them do deal and we are pretty sure at least one of the houses cook meth. The cops keep a watchful eye, and I keep a watchful eye. The drug task force has had them on their list for a while and do what they can to make cases. Like I said, one is wearing an ankle bracelet right now because he is on house arrest. I have been told he did make a sale to one of the UC officers of the task force, so in the long run, he may end up doing some time. But then again, maybe he won't. The judicial system is what it is and plea's are made and probation is dolled out like candy in a parade, so it remains to be seen what ends up happening.

So, to answer your question...

Just what exactly are you going to tell them which may be useful? Did you actually see anything? Unless you can provide any specific details as to who broke in and what vehicle they were driving and what the license plate number is, just what else is going to be useful? Oh yeah officer, I smelled some pot coming from their house one time! Not exactly the crime of the century.

My advice is to just be watchful and look after yourself and yours. I'd chalk the incident up as just finding out a little bit of "intel" regarding the type of people your neighbors are and keep that info to yourself and act accordingly with regards to your own safety.

I'm sure there are gonna be a lot of others who don't agree with that course of action, and that's cool.
    I agree with Bark'n

There is a lot to be said about flying below the radar sometimes, this is one of those cases IMO.

BTW if that dog has been barking for 3 1/2 tears he must have one heck of a sore throat.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links