IT help needed

IT help needed

This is a discussion on IT help needed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just relocated my office. As part of the move I am now on a different ISP provider. My Outlook has stopped sending email. I ...

Thread: IT help needed

IT help needed

I just relocated my office. As part of the move I am now on a different ISP provider.

My Outlook has stopped sending email. I can still receive email but I can't send it. I get the following message:

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: Rob P., Server: 'SMTP.Rob P.'s provider.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '571 imp09 smtp.Rob P.'s provider.net NzYuMTkzLjkxLjI1MA== You must connect from Provider IP space. E1110', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 571, Error Number: 0x800CCC61
    I have checked to be sure that I am using a secure connection with my email provider. Tools/Accounts/properties/servers/settings and made sure the "my server requires authentication" box is checked. Going to the Advanced tab I checked that the outgoing mail is port 25 and the SSL box is checked. When I check the incoming mail SSL box the port changes from 110 to 995. If I uncheck the box it returns to "110" automatically.

I can manually go to the server website and send mail but it's clunky and a PITA to do that. What do I need to do to get my email running again?

BTW, I'm going out of town this weekend so will be away from the offending computer so I can't make changes to see if they work until next week.

jgp
    Most ISP's block port 25 to prevent abuse (spammers). If the SMTP server is under your control, then you can have it set up to listen on an additional port for your authenticated connections. Try port 465/SSL. If the server is provided by someone else, contact them and ask them to set up a workaround for the "port 25 blocked by ISP" syndrome.
    Texas CHL Instructor
    http://safety-on.com

If you changed ISPs and are trying to check your old e-mail account, change your outgoing mailserver to your current ISPs mailserver, and take out the "my server requires auth" part.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

It sounds like 1 of 2 things:

1. Old ISP info is still in the SMTP requires authentication settings and needs to either be removed or changed to reflect new ISP.
    2. Nothing is in the SMTP requires authentication settings, but the new ISP may require it.

Give that a shot, your new ISP should have tech support to assist in the details and server name, etc.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

ok, so here's more info:

I am subletting my new office and the internet connection is part of the lease. Do I have to contact the landlord's ISP for the workaround or do I contact my own email provider?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    ok, so here's more info:

I am subletting my new office and the internet connection is part of the lease. Do I have to contact the landlord's ISP for the workaround or do I contact my own email provider?
    You will need to contact at least the landlord's ISP as they control your connection out to the Internet.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Contact the landlords ISP and get their outgoing server info, also make sure they are not blocking any mail ports to force feed their mail service. If they are providing connectivity to a commerical space I doubt they are blocking e-mail ports, but there are stupid people all over the world.

You need your ISPs outgoing mailserver name.

If that doesn't work, and you're using Outlook, You can always pay a bit and go with a Hosted Exchange server. The service I use (and resell) is 20.00/mo
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Sponsored Links