More IT Help Wanted

This is a discussion on More IT Help Wanted within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My Lantronix EPS1 print server seems to have lost its MAC address. I can't ping it. I have added it to the ARP table, but ...

Thread: More IT Help Wanted

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

More IT Help Wanted

My Lantronix EPS1 print server seems to have lost its MAC address. I can't ping it. I have added it to the ARP table, but can't ping. Tried to restore to factory defaults and had no luck with that either.

Is there anything else I can do, or am I looking at having to buy a new server?

Thanks,

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    My Lantronix EPS1 print server seems to have lost its MAC address. I can't ping it. I have added it to the ARP table, but can't ping. Tried to restore to factory defaults and had no luck with that either.

Is there anything else I can do, or am I looking at having to buy a new server?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, have you tried another cable? Sometimes they go bad.

I have a good link light on my hub so I assumed the cable is fine.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    On my servers, somewhere in the admin pages, is an option to renew the MAC address.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

My problem is I can't connect to the print server, can't even ping it.

- Thomas Jefferson

MAC addresses are hard coded into the network interface. You can spoof a MAC address for things like routers.
    Is there a way to print out the network config from the printserver? If you restored to factory defaults, it's most likely defaulted to DHCP and has a different IP address, or if you don't run DHCP, a 169.254.XXX.XXX IP address that isn't pingable.
    Take another device that needs network connectivity and plug it into the port the printserver is on, that will troubleshoot the cable/port
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    MAC addresses are hard coded into the network interface. You can spoof a MAC address for things like routers.
    Is there a way to print out the network config from the printserver? If you restored to factory defaults, it's most likely defaulted to DHCP and has a different IP address, or if you don't run DHCP, a 169.254.XXX.XXX IP address that isn't pingable.
    Take another device that needs network connectivity and plug it into the port the printserver is on, that will troubleshoot the cable/port
    What dunndw said. I would add first to check the properties of your default printer in Windows (I'm assuming its' Windows) and go to the ports tab, the IP should be there.

Worst case, default it per manufacturer's instructions and then you will most like need to configure your PC to be on the same subnet manually to configure the print server to match what IP range you are currently on.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links