Looking to get a new car.

This is a discussion on Looking to get a new car. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Right now I'm driving a 1993 Olds 88 and it's time to get a new or newer car, but I still want a full size ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Right now I'm driving a 1993 Olds 88 and it's time to get a new or newer car, but I still want a full size car. The wife and I have been looking and so far we like the Toyota Avalon, but it's not set in stone. What other cars are comparable and is there a full size two door? I haven't shopped for a car in along time. Rick
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

If you enjoyed the Avalon, go look at a Buick Lucerne. Enterprise rent a car uses both in their fleet, so current year programs are available used, in warranty. And Buick seems to have the edge in the floor mat department.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    If you enjoyed the Avalon, go look at a Buick Lucerne. Enterprise rent a car uses both in their fleet, so current year programs are available used, in warranty. And Buick seems to have the edge in the floor mat department.
    We did look at the lucerne, but didn't like the short arm rest. Elbow was on the leading edge all the time driving it. What do you think of the La cross, I haven't seen one yet.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

IMO, this is a awesome offering by Buick. Very cool lookin and built as good as any import. JMO. Good luck.
    2010Lacross.jpg
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I like the looks of the Challenger, which is a full-size 2-door. Other than that, I'm not sure it's in the same league as what you're looking for.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

We've had a lot of cars during our years and our last purchase has proven to be the best...a Chrysler 300 Touring...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Whatever you do, (and this is for *everyone* reading this thread), please strongly consider reading Don't Get Taken Every Time by Remar Sutton. He was the sales manager at a dealership, and he outlines the dirty tricks they are likely to pull in order to 1) separate you from your money and 2) make you think you got such a good deal that you'll come back next time, too. It's a very powerful book, and could profit you so much you could also drop the dough for a new custom 1911 on the way back home with your new car and still come out ahead. Seriously - he's talking about avoiding being bilked for thousands.

Since most probably won't read it (hey, I know you're busy), let me give you his three main points:
    1. Find out what your trade is worth: detail out your old car, and drive it to several used car lots and ask what they'll give you for it. With this you'll know its true value, and won't be a sucker for a low-ball trade in offer.
    2. Find out what the new car really cost the dealer (taking into consideration his rebates and end-of-the-month-sales-bonuses and such - don't believe his invoice). This can be done through several online services, I believe. Offer him a couple of hundred beyond that for his efforts, but be ready to go to the next dealer if/when he balks.
    3. Arrange your own financing through your credit union, and write him a check. This way you won't get eaten alive by the percentage rate (I had a friend fail to read the contract, and she paid 32% interest on her car).

He has lots more than just those three points, and I would encourage you to get the book- maybe as a gift for the kid about to graduate from college and start making his own mistakes (but read it yourself first). It's available used through Amazon for $7 (newest edition) or for shipping-plus-a-penny for the '97 edition. This ain't an affiliate pitch: it's a book I found that really opened my eyes and might help you.

Me? I got my last car through my mechanic for $700 and had him drop $800 more into it to turn it into a reliable car: you folks have made better choices than I have in the past, and thus have more options available now. Still, I think I would do much the same if I came into money. No dealers for me - old, ugly, but still gets from here to there is fine match for me. Hmm...

Note: I'm sure there are SOME dealers out there with integrity, but I'm afraid that the prevalence of shady behavior is pretty common. If you're one of the good guys in a bad industry, please accept my apologies, and my encouragement to keep on being a good guy.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com

It will tell you trade and retail for your used, as well as tell you retail for your new one. Just make sure you know every option or the price won't be as correct. Then you'll know almost dead on what you should pay, and what your trade should be. Once you find the car you want, tell the dealer you want to see the dealers invoice. Tell them you'll give them 500-1000 over the invoice price. (1000 would be for a harder to get car) Next you subtract any incentives the factory is offering, and finally.....this is most important, NOW you tell them about your trade! NEVER mention a trade BEFORE you negotiate the price! Or, if no trade, as said, have your financing already done! then give them your bankers card. Quick & easy!

On a personal note..... just bought the wife a 2010 Mazda 3 Grand Touring....
    we absolutly LOVE the car!! Every option for less than 25K out the door! If your looking bigger......try the Mazda 6 sedan, or the CX-7, CX-9 sport utes...

Happy hunting!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    We did look at the lucerne, but didn't like the short arm rest. Elbow was on the leading edge all the time driving it. What do you think of the La cross, I haven't seen one yet.
    Have not been able to touch a 2010 Lacross, heard tons of good things, but it is not full size.

If you go with the Avalon, give the floor mats to the cat for a scratching post.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    IMO, this is a awesome offering by Buick. Very cool lookin and built as good as any import. JMO. Good luck.
    2010Lacross.jpg
    Here's one of those weird things about GM that they try to hide. We've all heard how great cars like the Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, 2010 Lacrosse, and the Pontiac G8 are and how they blow away the imports. The problem is that all the cars I listed are imports. The Lacrosse is supposed to be built in the US and it might be, but the design and parts were mostly made in Germany by Opel as the Insignia. Same with the Sky and Solstice. The G8 is Australian built by Holden. I actually bought a GTO because I liked the Holden Monaro, which is what the GTO is. Like I said, GM has some awesome car offerings available, but most of them were designed, built, and imported from Europe or Australia.

Lacross is being built in Kansas City, in one of the highest ranked plants for quality, for any brand. The Camaro, and G8 use a Holden Platform, but are far from Australian.

Using a platform as a basis for a new model is very different than the old days of Mazda building a truck and painting FORD on the tailgate. It's more about evolving proven engineering. A Ford Edge is on a Fusion platform, which is on a Mazda 6 platform. Try to interchange any parts.

Dont pay 500-1000 over invoice. The dealership is receiving money from the manufacturer for each car they sell. They can sell the car at invoice or a "loss" and still make money. They all make money on the back end from the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We've had a lot of cars during our years and our last purchase has proven to be the best...a Chrysler 300 Touring...
    That's a dandy if I needed a family car...but I drive trucks. Wife drives a PT Cruiser and it's one nice road trip vehicle that I enjoy driving. Just give me a +1 for Chrysler vehicles. I wish I had a Charger, but I wouldn't trade my truck for one (unless it was the SRT-8 with 450hp and black).

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    Dont pay 500-1000 over invoice. The dealership is receiving money from the manufacturer for each car they sell. They can sell the car at invoice or a "loss" and still make money. They all make money on the back end from the manufacturer.
    Only if there are rebates on the vehicle.....most times they won't tell you, and if you don't know..... you think they sold the car less than dealer invoice, but they made money because of the rebate. A car dealer pays for the vehicle upfront for the invoice price, then sticks an MSRP sticker in the window. Two things a dealer will NEVER do.....sell the car at a loss, and sell it for dealer invoice w/ no rebates on the car. Ever.
    Exeception would be...... with the closing of the dealerships around the country, many dealers are buying vehicles from other dealers at auction or in a deal to get rid of inventory so then can get SOME of their investment returned...... I have seen some pretty good deals...upto 50-70% of dealer invoice, but that is VERY rare & only in EXTREME circumstances........ You cant count on that everytime you purchase. And if your looking for a specific vehicle....prolly not...... your only gonna get that on a vehicle they cant get rid of very easy......
    As I said....when you find the vehicle you want..... $500 over dealer invoice, NOT MSRP, and THEN have them take the rebates off.....if there are any.....
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    Only if there are rebates on the vehicle.....most times they won't tell you, and if you don't know..... you think they sold the car less than dealer invoice, but they made money because of the rebate. A car dealer pays for the vehicle upfront for the invoice price, then sticks an MSRP sticker in the window. Two things a dealer will NEVER do.....sell the car at a loss, and sell it for dealer invoice w/ no rebates on the car. Ever.
    Exeception would be...... with the closing of the dealerships around the country, many dealers are buying vehicles from other dealers at auction or in a deal to get rid of inventory so then can get SOME of their investment returned...... I have seen some pretty good deals...upto 50-70% of dealer invoice, but that is VERY rare & only in EXTREME circumstances........ You cant count on that everytime you purchase. And if your looking for a specific vehicle....prolly not...... your only gonna get that on a vehicle they cant get rid of very easy......
    As I said....when you find the vehicle you want..... $500 over dealer invoice, NOT MSRP, and THEN have them take the rebates off.....if there are any.....
    I worked for several years in the car business. Yes the rebates do make a difference. But the dealership is receiving money per car sold that you the consumer never know about or are aware of in the sales process. You are the front end. A dealership can sell at a loss on the front end and still make money on the back. (i.e. money from manufacturer that is not rebates). There are alot of tricks and terminology that are very hard to understand unless you have been on the other end. They are that way for a reason.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links