should i buy this truck? - Page 2

should i buy this truck?

This is a discussion on should i buy this truck? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; thanks everyone for the responses and help. i got a chance last night to see and drive the truck. luckily my buddy who's a gm ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should i buy this truck?

thanks everyone for the responses and help.

i got a chance last night to see and drive the truck. luckily my buddy who's a gm mechanic was with me and we gave it all a good once over, the truck looks immaculate from the interior to the exterior. the interior is loaded, literally every option. he has a edge programmer with a lcd display that he just put in it a month ago. he hasn't done any serious hauling/pulling or anything like that. it had a silverline exhaust all the way back. cold air intake. it had 18in black rims with 33" tires tinted windows. it looked pretty sharp with the black. i asked my buddy who is a mechanic later on about it and he said if i was going to get one i would want that engine and that allison tranny. he said one of duramax's best motors was from 05-06. it rode great and definately had the power to go along with it. it was making about 18-19 mpg currently. but we didn't know what the tuner was set currently.

my buddy said it best, the mileage isn't the big deal or anything. it's just it has 140k miles on it which is nothing for that motor/tranny, but down the road it might need some suspension work or something like that nothing major it's just it has 140k miles on it, which are more then likely highway miles. also he just explained it's more expensive to have/maintain a diesel truck. he was overall really positive but i've never had a diesel truck so he wanted to just cover his bases with me. but overall he said it was a solid truck.

So i'm really debating on it right now. I wanted to just trade in my jeep so I didn't have to worry about selling in outright but if i get this truck that's what i'll have to do. i think he's a little high and my buddy agreed on that as well. so i'm gonna sit back and think about it. (the g/f loved it so i at least know i'm covered in that area :)
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Keep the Jeep, not an unbiased opinion here.

Yea, I know that doesn't help you much, but that seems pretty high priced for a truck with that many miles. Sure it has lots of gadgets on it, but do you want a truck or do you want a gadget mobile?

Oh, and if you want to go camping or whatever, the 22k, can buy a lot of cabin rentals at state parks or whereever you decide to go.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Keep the Jeep, not an unbiased opinion here.

Yea, I know that doesn't help you much, but that seems pretty high priced for a truck with that many miles. Sure it has lots of gadgets on it, but do you want a truck or do you want a gadget mobile?

Oh, and if you want to go camping or whatever, the 22k, can buy a lot of cabin rentals at state parks or whereever you decide to go.
    Exactly my point. I wouldn't want the extra hassle of such a vehicle to maybe tow something that isn't mine a few times a year if I'm lucky. Factor all the other costs in having a large diesel truck... no thanks.
    Now, if you had more of a purpose, like a business or something like that, OK.
    Don't misunderstand, the big diesel trucks are cool and I wouldn't mind having own myself... I just don't want the bills or hassle that go with it.

I guess I'm just looking at this from a different angle; the truck might be a great truck, but I see it as a large drain of cash with little to no return.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Lets set aside the merits of the actual vehicle, and look at reality for a minute.

What I'm reading here is that you want to buy a 22 thousand dollar item that has been well used. For what? To potentially haul something that isn't yours, and doesn't even exist yet? What happens if your parents decide not to buy the 5th wheel? Or what happens after a few months, and they decide its not for them? Your stuck with a well used 22K hole in your pocket.
    Have you actually looked at 5th wheel hitches? They are not cheap. And they make the bed of the truck *almost* useless. Can the truck with "33's" even fit under the 5th wheel that may or may not belong to your parents someday?

So, you are buying what amounts to a specialty vehicle, that you will be using its potential once, maybe twice a year? Sounds like a bad decision to me.

If they are willing to let you borrow the trailer, why wont they let you borrow the tow vehicle too?

Yeah, 100K doesn't mean with a diesel engine what it does with a gas engine, but, you still have all the other stuff that surrounds that engine. And that stuff isn't cheap.

Do you know how much fuel injectors cost for the Duramax? Get ready... you will be replacing them.

So, unless you will be getting a whole lot more use out of the potential of the truck than you let on here, I'd keep the Jeep or buy something that suits your practical needs a bit better. Don't get me wrong here, every red blooded American male loves the sound of a diesel truck... but, think it through. From what little bit I've seen here, it just doesn't make sense.

You can pick up a Silverado or 150 right now for cheap, if you really want a truck.
    + 50. You can buy a new gas powered F150 or Silverado for a few thousand more (25K ish) if you shop around. A big V8 will pull a trailer once or twice a year. Did I mention it would be new.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links