should i buy this truck?

should i buy this truck?

This is a discussion on should i buy this truck? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ok.....so when i have questions and i need some opinions....there's no other place to turn to then DC. So here my conundrum. I want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question should i buy this truck?

ok.....so when i have questions and i need some opinions....there's no other place to turn to then DC.

So here my conundrum. I want to get a truck, I currently have a 2004 wrangler hard top/soft top all that and I'm wanting to get rid of it and get a crew cab chevy/gmc/toyota fro $25k and under.

So I'm not in a huge rush and one of my dad's friends sells used cars so I just ramble off what I want and he says he'll keep his eyes pealed....well later last night (this all started yesterday) we went to a wedding and I ran into a guy I haven't seen in a while.

Well we're just catching up and all that and he says he has a buddy (whom i know as well) who has a 2006 Chevy 2500HD w/ a duramax and allison tranny. fully loaded. leather sunroof heated seats crew cab leveling kit 33's and a diesel tuner on it and he said it's super sharp the truck's got 140k miles. He said he's asking around $22k for it. He said our buddy jeff bought this from a executive oil man down in texas who just drove rig to rig to rig all day long.

I don't mind having a diesel and I would like a big truck because my mom and dad are going to be getting a 5th wheel toy hauler in the near future and the g/f and i would love to take it and vacation. Also I don't drive very far for work or anything like that, maybe 20-30ish miles a day.

So i'm just wondering what do you all think? Price and mileage wise? any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

As always thanks for the help.
    -Chris
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Personally, I'd go with Ford or Dodge in the heavy duty 3/4 ton diesels. 140k miles and all the extras for $22k isn't overpriced with what you're looking at though in my opinion. I'm pretty much a Dodge man myself, and been into a lot of vehicle forums in the past. I just seem to think that Ford and Dodge are better with the overall package similar to what you've portrayed here. I also think the Cummins engines put the DuraMax diesels to shame. They all have their pros and cons. A programmer or tuner does make a lot of difference on gasoline and diesel systems. Might do some research by joining a vehicle specific forum and find out what current owners have to say. After all, you're making an investment here.

VIP Member
    140k is a lot of miles for a GM product. If I trusted the trucks history I think I might do it. Not having any real first hand knowledge of the truck I would pass.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Personally I would be hesitant to buy any vehicle that had a tuner and that someone else had driven. IMO, it means someone was trying to get more out of the vehicle than it was designed to do. If it had a pyrometer and all service records I may look at it.
    That said, I modded a diesel powered motorhome years ago. The difference was that I was the only driver, I had installed full instrumentation and did not abuse it.
    oldogy
    After reading your following post I would suggest your friend, the mechanic, look and evaluate the vehicle and get his 'take' on the tuner.
    If that is the six speed tranny it should be bullit proof if it has been maintained. It is one sweet tranny.
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

thanks guys for the insight i'm just trying to cover all of my bases.

And Ram Rod those cummins are super tough. I should have put this in the CX the other reason I want to buy a gmc/chevy is my best friend is a gmc/diesel mechanic so I know he'll be doing all of my work while i watch and ponder. :)

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

thanks oldogy he knows his stuff so i'll be running it all thru him first to see what he thinks. i hope it works out cause i've been wanting a gmc/chevy diesel that's loaded. so we'll see

NRA Member/Supporter

A little different take.

All three makes have strong points, and make good trucks. I sell Chevy, and the Allison and fuel economy are strong selling points. I'm a stingy horsetrader, so 22k strikes me a bit high.

I would suggest you look at this another way. Are you going to pay cash, and will it be a daily driver? I see lots of guys who bought 80-100K used trucks because they were affordable(relaltive to $50,000 plus new), and get trapped in them. Unless you borrow 36 months, you're likely to be seriously upside down most of your time with the truck. If your situation changes, it will be all but impossible to get out of the truck.

It's a shame to use and wear out all that capability commuting to work. And you get to pay more for fuel and oil changes. If you can get a deal you like on the truck, spend a couple thousand more, and buy a beater truck for daily driving. 4.3 S10s and 4 banger Rangers can run for ever on the cheap. Drive the Duramax occasionally to keep it healthy, and use it for your heavy hauling. In ten years you still have a very capable truck, paid for, with decent miles on it.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member
    Just purchased a F250 4 door lariat, all the leather and power equipment, (no sun roof which is fine with me) 1 owner diesel, 73K miles, just as clean as can be. No power chip, that to me would possibly be a deal breaker. As much power as a diesel has, what would the prior owner would be doing that they would need to add a power chip???

Looked for 6 months, paid 19,500. Had great service records

Wife drove it home from shopping last week and got 20.1mpg, so not too bad.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member
    Forgot to add, while I would never admit it in front of Ramrod, I do think Dodge has the best motor, chevy has the best transmission, and Ford the best interior.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Forgot to add, while I would never admit it in front of Ramrod, I do think Dodge has the best motor, chevy has the best transmission, and Ford the best interior.

Z
    Hah! I caught you! Funny thing is.....I might agree (see pros and cons for all).
    I'd just like to elaborate on the programmer aspect a bit since a few have mentioned it as a possible downside. When we hear the term, most of us immediately think performance upgrade in terms of more power. Tuners were made to optimize vehicle performance in a number of ways, and depending on specific usage. Sure....you can tune the vehicle to race, have more torque, etc....... Vehicles have their limitations and it's a money game. That's why vehicle manufacturers don't put out vehicles that are already optimized. It's like you putting a different recoil spring in your pistol...an aftermarket magazine spring.....a titanium firing pin, etc..... Vehicles are put on the market generically. One fits all so to speak. Many options available with a tuner, and this doesn't mean the previous owner has abused or gone above and beyond what the vehicle is capable of. Most tuners will allow you to:
    1. tune the speedometer for changes in tire size
    2. tune for economy
    3. tune for performance
    4. tune for towing
    5. read the OBD fault codes, help find and eliminate the causes
    All optimizing for specific applications and re-adjusting the curves in the original program for best results according to usage. This doesn't mean the vehicle has been 'hot-rodded'. I just wanted to clarify things about aftermarket programmers for vehicles...gasoline or diesel. The diesel vehicles are more capable of seeing gains and better all around performance by using a tuner than the gasoline systems.
    Further recommendations on vehicular care include synthetic oils vs standard oils, optimized air intake filtration/flow, double oil filtration systems, and almost anything you don't know about prolonging the life of your vehicle, engine, or drive train that auto manufacturers wish you never knew.

05 Silverado here. IMG00030.jpg

What's not to love about the Silverado. Get the Chevy!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    05 Silverado here. IMG00030.jpg

What's not to love about the Silverado. Get the Chevy!
    +1

My 2000 RCSB GMC has 105,000 and still looks and runs like it did new.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Administrator
    Lets set aside the merits of the actual vehicle, and look at reality for a minute.

What I'm reading here is that you want to buy a 22 thousand dollar item that has been well used. For what? To potentially haul something that isn't yours, and doesn't even exist yet? What happens if your parents decide not to buy the 5th wheel? Or what happens after a few months, and they decide its not for them? Your stuck with a well used 22K hole in your pocket.
    Have you actually looked at 5th wheel hitches? They are not cheap. And they make the bed of the truck *almost* useless. Can the truck with "33's" even fit under the 5th wheel that may or may not belong to your parents someday?

So, you are buying what amounts to a specialty vehicle, that you will be using its potential once, maybe twice a year? Sounds like a bad decision to me.

If they are willing to let you borrow the trailer, why wont they let you borrow the tow vehicle too?

Yeah, 100K doesn't mean with a diesel engine what it does with a gas engine, but, you still have all the other stuff that surrounds that engine. And that stuff isn't cheap.

Do you know how much fuel injectors cost for the Duramax? Get ready... you will be replacing them.

So, unless you will be getting a whole lot more use out of the potential of the truck than you let on here, I'd keep the Jeep or buy something that suits your practical needs a bit better. Don't get me wrong here, every red blooded American male loves the sound of a diesel truck... but, think it through. From what little bit I've seen here, it just doesn't make sense.

You can pick up a Silverado or 150 right now for cheap, if you really want a truck.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 5th, 2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: just cleaned a few things up
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    +1

My 2000 RCSB GMC has 105,000 and still looks and runs like it did new.

That's a sweet lookin truck! Very nice.

I like the floor too!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I would definitly want to give it a good once over .... since its an 06 the injectors wont give you much if any problems , but the headgaskets on those specific models of engines are known for leaking on the right rear head and that gets pretty salty . as far as longevity of the truck we have seen them in our dealership with well over 500,000 miles on the the original drivetrain provided that they are well maintained and not flogged to much ..... id see if he would take 18k for it if not find another .
    proud to be an infidel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links