Just ordered an emergency generator.

This is a discussion on Just ordered an emergency generator. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I can't wait to see how this plays out. After looking all over the Internet, I finally decided on a generator from generatorsales.com . ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, I can't wait to see how this plays out. After looking all over the Internet, I finally decided on a generator from generatorsales.com . I went with what they call a "13.5 kW Industrial Portable Triple-fuel" model.

Actually, it's an 8kW with a 13.5kW surge rating. Could have saved about $60 and gotten one that ran off propane only, but I decided I liked being able to use gasoline in a real pinch.

The interesting thing to me was that if I wanted to replace my current 125 gal propane tank with a 250 gal, I'd have to move it 10 (or was it 15?) feet from the house. For various reasons, that would be awkward.

My current tank is a horizontal one, sitting on the ground. What they will do is replace it with a pair of 125 gal tanks, that are vertical. Seems the code doesn't limit the number of tanks you can place against the side of a house, just the size.

I'll not be buying the tanks, they'll be leased like the one I have now. That will double the $, but it will only come to $120 a year and we're paying both the gas bill and the tank lease in monthly payments, already. When they make the switch, I'll get full credit for the propane still in the tank, so I'll only have to buy the extra to fill it up. The gas guys will put the pipe in to feed the generator. That will come at a price, but it ain't too bad.

I do have a friend who's a licensed electrical contractor. He'll help me wire it in, safe and legal-like.

No "automatics" in my set-up, I don't really want them. Worst case would be a max of 12 hours without power before my wife or myself can get home and start it up. That's within my requirements.

Looks like I'll be all set for the next hurricane, although I suspect in doing this, I've just guaranteed my part of Florida will not get a major hit, ever again.

Kind of like carrying a gun. It's a bit of a hassle and cost some bucks, for something I hope I'll never need.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Smart move there MM and if your lucky no more hurricanes

Great thing to do. I have been meaning to start the research proces too. I live in a small town that has a hard time keeping the power on during good weather.. A few months ago, we were hit with a real ice storm. We were without power for small amounts of time, but not to far from here power was out for over a week.

It really makes one wonder how to heat a house when the furnace fan doesn't run..

Maybe since you have now guaranteed the re-routing of hurricanes, your neighbors can all pitch in to help pay for your genset?

Hmmmmmm. . . Now that's a thought.

mm

I wish I could remember the number, but I heard on the news that there is a very high percentage of Florida residents that have generators now. Why pretty soon, the entire state will just drop off the power grid!!
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    Looks like I'll be all set for the next hurricane, although I suspect in doing this, I've just guaranteed my part of Florida will not get a major hit, ever again.
    I thought the same thing, Mike. We had a tornado on Easter weekend 2004 and then hurricane Ivan in September. Spent several days without power each time.

I bought 2 generators. Both portable and run on gasoline. One is 6200 peak and 5500 continuous and the other is 2200 peak and 1600 continuous. We have a 10'X10' building that houses the freezer and the extra refrigerator and I use the small gen to power those. We had one small outage about 12 hours in mid 2005. Then does the name Katrina ring a bell? Several days again. Glad we have them. Although I hoped that buying them would ensure that I wouldn't need them.

kastiron: That's one nice thing about my 1922 Craftsman style bungalow even though we don't use the fire places. The original owner in one of the changes of heating methods put a natural gas insert in the fireplace in the living room and it is still there and works. Our problem is usually keeping cool when the power goes off. Our house does pretty good even without the AC and we have a big 24 inch heavy duty fan that we aim at the ceiling in the breakfast room while we eat or sit around the table and read. It works pretty good.
    It is time next month to take all the gas cans and empty them into my truck and siphon the gas from the generators and do the same. Then drive the truck to the station and by new gas. I use an additive that extends the life of the gas, but don't keep it much over 6 mos. I make sure the truck has at least a half tank, put in the generator gas and the gas from the cans, and finish filling up when I refill the cans. So far have had no problems.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    although I suspect in doing this, I've just guaranteed my part of Florida will not get a major hit, ever again.
    If that holds good Mike and hope it does obviously - you have bought very cheap insurance

I only have a basic 6.5k unit, gas only but have things wired so I can plus it in outside the house to feed the main board - a switch box is there for the purpose.

I won't use it until we are out some while but then my main needs are well pump, freezer and in colder weather the furnace. I'd like bigger and better but like guns - some gen'y is better than no gen'y!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My biggest draw is likely my 1 hp. well pump. If need be, I can simply switch that off and only turn it on, as needed. I do need power to the Koi ponds, but those pumps are 1/8 hp, and only draw 2 to 3 amps each, while running.

With this generator, I should be able to run the heat pump air conditioner for a few hours, during the hottest part of the day, probably while the well pump is turned off. The place is well insulated, and has ceiling fans, so we should be able to keep the indoor temps livable that way. The heat in the house was a major issue during the last outage.

The generator is now on order. Once it gets here, I'll call the gas company back and get it all done.

I will add a deep discharge battery, power inverter, and a relay to keep aeration going to the ponds. The air pump will normally run off 110v, but when the power drops out, it will automatically switch to the battery. And the relay will also power a trickle charger to keep the battery charged when there is power. The whole thing goes back to 110 power, automatically, when the power is restored.

That's the only automatic function I'll need.

My first problem will be to remember just where two power lines are buried, when the gas line for the generator goes in the ground.

mm

When I lived in California, I worried about this subject for the longest but didn't jump. If I would have stayed, I would have had one put in.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Great purchase!

I have a 6500w portable gas powered generator. Bought it during a ice storm, so I _know_ I paid too much for it... but it kept us warm through the 13 days we were without power. Fuel was a problem, I have three 5 g fuel cans, and had to drive back and forth to fill them every day. In a SHTF situation, fuel would be a major issue.

Nothing automatic about this arrangement, I have a pig tail wired to my furnace (gas furnace, electric blower motor), and a couple good extension cords.

One of my summer projects this year is to build a solid mount for the generator, something permanent that I can attach the thing to so that I don't have to worry about someone stealing it. I'm thinking about buying a larger muffler for it as well.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Exclamation I have a 10KW 12KW surge

looked a long time went with a Honda for reliability issues, points I found out while shoping.

1. You loose several % for natural gas power and several more % for propane. so a 10KW gas tri fuel will only give around 8KW on natural gas and 6.5KW on propane.

2. Gasoline is more cost effective for long term running, I checked on fuel consumption rates vs fuel costs for the various fuels gas vs natual vs propane, and when running on propane the engine is a hog, so check out those rates and how much it is going to use under load vs how long do you plan on being with out power.

3. do you really need power 24/7 in an emergency. My water is a well and in order to flush we need power so I've found when my power goes out, which it has for several days at a toss. Power in the early AM untill every one is up and off to work. Power in the evening to watch news, cook food, bring the refrig back to temp, and make ready for night night. So what you really need is about 6-7 hours of power a day in order to get by with out any discomfort.

4. How much fuel? I usually keep about 35 gallons of stablized fuel out in the shop, at full load I will usually burn 4 gallons a day this gives me enough for about a week and the longest I have been without power is about 4 days.

5. how many KW do you really need? 5kw to run the frig, some lights, and TV, don't plan on running any thing else that uses a motor though, look at the rate and increase that by at least 50% for start up, microwave 1.5KW, TV just a few hundred, hot water (electric) 4.5KW, water pump depends on if it is 110 or 220 in which case you had better be feeding both sides of the electrical feed. You can run a house on 5KW but expect to make some sacrafices on just what you are going to run at the same time.

6.Don't kill the power guys, install a disconect or else you are liable.

just some points I though you might be interested in.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am looking at getting a genset , but it wont be tied to a site , more a jobsite genset to use on the place as well as be avalable for shtf , kinda limits it to gasoline for convience sake , and just starting to look really dont even know how big i want yet , but let us know how that one seems to turn out

i fix gennies for a living. if you're getting a gasoline powered one use stabilizer and be sure to start them once a month for about 10 min. put a small load on them, light or power drill works fine.
    sometimes they lose their magnetism after sitting and you can use said power drill to remagnetise them. plug drill into gennie while it's running. pull switch on drill, turn drill by hand and it should power it up. if not, change reversing switch on drill and try again.
    for choosing size voltsxamps=watts
    another thing, hard starting loads like fridges, freezers, ac's, takeup to 2.5 times the running watts to start.
    6 amps at 120 volts=720 watts
    to start said fridge=1800 watts
    also do not run gennie for extended periods at more than 80% of it's rated continous output.

Assistant Administrator
    Craig - what is stabilizer - do you know, chemically?

I must admit my standby gas is not treated with any and always seems fine if I use some for a mower for example.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95Carry..i don't know what it is chemically, but it works by keeping what they call low end distillates(for easy starting) from evaporating as fast.
    I've been trying to find out what's in it, but the companies aren't talking.
    Up where you're at, fuel storage isn't that bad. doesn't get as hot.
    The best thing to do is keep your fuel out of direct sunlight in a sealed container. heat makes it break down fast. i put a clear 1/2 gallon of gas in the sun here. it took one month for it to go bad.
    I keep mine in 30 gal. drums under a lean to. i also put them on boards to reduce the temp. change during the day.
    The best stabilizer i've found is sta-bil. briggs&stratton is good too.
    The best thing to do is rotate your fuel cans and run your equipment every now and then.
    If people did that, i wouldn't be overrun with gennies that won't start everytime a storm threatens.
    These people will wait until the storm's 18 hours out before seeing if it runs.
    If anybody else has any questions, feel free to ask. if i don't know the answer, i can try to find it. that's why we have company reps.,lol.
    p.s. maybe i'll figure out how to space paragraphs on this thing one day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links