Gas heater question

This is a discussion on Gas heater question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I figure most of you guys here are pretty handy. Now I know squat about gas heaters or how to turn them on for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas heater question

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Gas heater question

I figure most of you guys here are pretty handy. Now I know squat about gas heaters or how to turn them on for the first time in the winter. The one we have is a circa 1980's heater in the basement.

I went to try and get the heat to kick on since it's starting to get a little nippy here during the evenings. I turned the thermostat up... nothing. It's been off all summer... thats all I really know how to do and I really don't want to go screwing around with valves in the basement around the gas heater without having some idea of what I'm doing first. I remember last winter we had to do something to it, but I forget now.

Any pointers?

2. Remove Ads

Does it have a pilot light, and is it lit?
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    Does it have a pilot light, and is it lit?
    Does the pilot light use a match or is it electonic ignition (like on a grill)?

Most likely, you will have to read the front of the furnace. There has to be lighting instructions...every thing has instructions. (A cereal box will even tell you how to use a spoon.)

Turn the red dial to pilot and hold in for 30 seconds until you hear the flames ignite...etc, etc, etc..., it has to be on the front of the furnace...there may also be a metal cover on the front of the furnace (like on a water heater).

Do you have the manual for the furnace, it should be hanging around there somewhere...

Use caution if at first it doesn't light...let the space air out prior to a 'failure to ignite' for a few minutes before making a second try.

Good luck...read the manual or find one on-line.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    I can help you with this, but I need to know several things

What type of gas does it burn?

Do you know if it has a standing pilot light or a different type of ignition?

Can you see the control valve?

What type of heater is this, a wall furnace or a cabinet type heater, or forced air furnaced?

Does the unit use electricity and if it does is it plugged in and switches and breakers on??

does it have a wall type thermostat? and if it does, are the switches turned to heat?

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I can help you with this, but I need to know several things

What type of gas does it burn?

Do you know if it has a standing pilot light or a different type of ignition?

Can you see the control valve?

What type of heater is this, a wall furnace or a cabinet type heater, or forced air furnaced?

Does the unit use electricity and if it does is it plugged in and switches and breakers on??

does it have a wall type thermostat? and if it does, are the switches turned to heat?

Z
    Ya... the only things I can tell you is it burns natural gas. The wall thermostat is turned to heat, and we even put it up to 90 degrees to see if it'd kick on. We have baseboard heat which I guess draws it's heat from the unit in the basement. As for your other questions I'm not sure.

what brand is this heater?
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Its hard to say without seeing the furnace

If you have baseboard heat I would venture to say you have a natural gas burning boiler.

With the number of different procedures and precautions to consider it might be worth your time to have a service company come out look it over and provide you with some end user training on the unit. ( Basic checks and procedures) Just my two cents or even call a handy friend locally that can see the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    If you have baseboard heat I would venture to say you have a natural gas burning boiler.

With the number of different procedures and precautions to consider it might be worth your time to have a service company come out look it over and provide you with some end user training on the unit. ( Basic checks and procedures) Just my two cents or even call a handy friend locally that can see the unit.
    That probably what I'll do. Thanks for all the responses guys

More than likely you will need to purge the air in the gas line before it will light. If it is a pilot type ignition you will have to hold the purge valve button until the pilot lights and the thermal coupling gets hot enough to open the gas valve. The lighting instruction should be on a sticker on the cover, if in doubt which is probably why your asking, call someone who knows.

Good luck.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    In our town, the city gas men will drop by and help homeowners out. It is good public relations and helps insure the gas systems remain safe. Helps on liability claims from desperate people that have a fire without having insurance. They go for the deep pockets. Fewer fires or explosions are good for the city.

Two years ago, people with a wood stove lost their house in a fire and tried to sue the city because the house had gas service. Of course the gas was shut off outside the house since they were not using it. But, the city had to spend money and time to fend this off.

If it's a standing pilot, that's easy enough to handle. Anything beyond that, you'd need a multimeter and a manometer.

Better to be safe than walking around with no eyebrows and that nasty singed hair smell
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    In our town, the city gas men will drop by and help homeowners out. It is good public relations and helps insure the gas systems remain safe.
    Big Plus on this - almost all Gas Co's will make these service calls.

Google the Make and model number. You might be able to get the operating instructions online.

Make sure the pilot orifice and the burner are clean. A lot of times spiders will set a web or a nest in there and foul up the works.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Google the Make and model number. You might be able to get the operating instructions online.

Make sure the pilot orifice and the burner are clean. A lot of times spiders will set a web or a nest in there and foul up the works.

bosco
    I got in touch with the borough utility office. They are going to send a guy over later today to give it a go over and show me what to do and get it working for me. I'm a quick learner, and a hands on kind of guy... but I don't think I'd want to tinker with something so dangerous that I know nothing about.

Thanks for the advice guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links