Long lost friend passes

Long lost friend passes

This is a discussion on Long lost friend passes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every once in a while I google the names of people I've lost touch with ... sometimes I find out where they are now, sometimes ...

Unhappy Long lost friend passes

Every once in a while I google the names of people I've lost touch with ... sometimes I find out where they are now, sometimes I read something interesting in the paper about them, but most of the time I don't find anything that I can be 100% sure is about them.

Well tonite I googled the name of a guy who was my best friend from about 6-14 years old. His father and step mother lived next door to me and he came down every weekend (and often on wedensdays).

We became instant friends and for many years where very close, but then as we both got older his father and step mother moved and we kind of drifted apart.

We occasionally looked each other up over the next few years, but the last time I talked to him was about 15 years ago.

So Here's what I found

source

Matthew S. Deering

WALTON - Matthew S. Deering, 35, died March 24, 2006, in rural Marion County.

He was born Aug. 11, 1970, in Newton, the son of Sam and Janice Glenn Deering.

He belonged to First United Methodist Church and the National Rifle Association. He served in the U.S. Army.

Survivors include: three daughters, Meghan Deering and Ashley Deering, both of Newton, and Caitlin Deering, Hesston; his father and stepmother, Sam and Teresa Deering, Wichita; his stepfather, Ron Ostlund, Walton; a half-sister, Molly Deering, Wichita; two stepbrothers, Jim Ostlund, Moundridge, and Jeff Ostlund, Mount Hope; a stepsister, Melinda Ferguson, Newton; a companion, Amy Spangler, Walton; his first wife, Christie Horn, Newton; and his second wife, Tiffany Goodall, Hesston.

He was preceded in death by his mother, Janice Ostlund; and grandparents, Guyola Deering, and Jerry and Lola Glenn.

Funeral will be at 2 p.m. Monday at Petersen Funeral Home, Newton, with the Rev. Nathan Morgan presiding. Visitation will be from 5 to 9 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home. A private family burial will be held.

Memorials may be sent to the Kansas Wildlife and Parks, in care of the funeral home.

03/26/2006
    Its weird that I haven't thought about Matt in a decade and I happen to google his name only a couple of weeks after his death!

Its also weird that I'm deeply saddened by the passing of someone I really don't know anymore ... I'm also a little freaked out.

He was exactly 1 year and 2 days younger than I.

VIP Member
    I'm sorry over the loss of your friend.....I'll say a prayer for him and his family tonight.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

DC Founder
    That is quite a coincidence. There are several people I have wondered about, what they are doing, where they are, etc. Maybe I should try that. Hopefully I won't find anything like you happened to find. Sorry to hear about your friend. News like that always makes us think about our own mortality....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Zund, that is sad. Even with lost contact a friendship never dies. These are the folks who we can meet 10, 20 years on and talk as if we saw them last week.

Savor any memories you have, and there must be many - and let that remind you (as these things do me) of your own mortality and vow to let each day matter that bit more - make things count.

I hate the local paper obit's - way too many folks younger than me popping off
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Thats always unfortunate. I had the same type of experience with a guy I served with in the military.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I am truly sorry for your loss, I will keep you in my prayers.
    Curry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    Its also weird that I'm deeply saddened by the passing of someone I really don't know anymore ... I'm also a little freaked out.

He was exactly 1 year and 2 days younger than I.
    My sympathies to you, Zund...

You're young enough not to have experienced the loss of friends your age (I'm guessing here), and as Chris said, it reminds us that we are mortal. It's one thing when someone who has lived a long life passes on...we realize that it's part of the cycle. That all goes out the window when a young person dies, either by accident or a sudden medical condition. It makes you confront your own mortality, and thats what causes a mind to become a little freaked out.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

You and your always friend will be in my prayers.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

My condolances go out to your and yours. Its a bummer you had to find out that way he died by a search

Administrator
    Sorry to hear that.

Hey folks look up the name of an old friend & say Hello before it's too late.
    Somebody "out there" probably really wants to chat with you & talk about old times & great days gone by.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'm a firm believer in 'heavenly promptings'. You should contact his family and give them you condolences. There might be something to it.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    condolences on the loss , and yes like jarhead said , do contact the person you remember best , and explain who you are ect.. as needed and express to them what he ment to you , i dont know the circumstances of his death but my cuson ( who was raised like a brother with me ) just died under difficult circumstances and the out of the blue calls saying "i cant be there , but i knew him and he had a great impact on my life " have been a hell of a comfort for me .. help what you can you may well be helped back in the visit

Links