Flying thru JFK last week

This is a discussion on Flying thru JFK last week within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I flew out of JFK for the second time with my Glock locked inside my COM.(With my TSA/AG letter and airlines policies placed in my ...

Thread: Flying thru JFK last week

I flew out of JFK for the second time with my Glock locked inside my COM.(With my TSA/AG letter and airlines policies placed in my pocket.) I placed a cable lock thru the ejection port and out the mag well. My brother in law picked up my house at 4:15 am from Nassau County, NY and traveled directly to JFK arriving at 4:45 am. I walked in Delta airlines and waited my turn in line. Upon reaching the counter I informed the ticket agent that I had an unloaded firearm to declare. She called the Port Authority Police and calmly stated that she had customer who needed to declare a firearm. She gave me 2 orange tags to sign. I placed one on the com cable and the other on the outside handle of the bag. She placed a sticker on the front of my bag as well. The PA showed up with in 10 minutes. When they came into the terminal they were looking around. So I waved them over. I told them I have an unloaded firearm to declare. I presented them with my Nassau County pistol permit even though the permit has my picture he requested my DL. I opened the COM they looked down and said "OK" I locked the COM and suitcase and the ticket agent walked me over to TSA. The TSA ran my bag thru the x-ray machine while I waited at the door. They requested that I open the bag. They looked around and thru told me to close it up. (I think my shoes placed on the inside edge caused a shadow.) I asked if they will be removing the tag and sticker they said they would.
    Upon arriving in San Antonio I walked quickly to the front of the luggage carousel to be the first to grab my bag. But my bag never came out. Now I am kinda pissed and worried. I walked over to Delta baggage assistance and my bag was sitting there. Agent asked for Id and told me to take my bag. The point of the sticker is to direct the bag to him and only him. The kicker is that the orange firearms tag was still on the outside. I asked him about the tag. "Oh they were supposed to remove that JFK". So much for asking. I walked out to the rental car and suited up for the drive to Houston. Look for trip to Houston post.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I flew out of JFK for the second time with my Glock locked inside my COM.(With my TSA/AG letter and airlines policies placed in my pocket.) I placed a cable lock thru the ejection port and out the mag well. My brother in law picked up my house at 4:15 am from Nassau County, NY and traveled directly to JFK arriving at 4:45 am. I walked in Delta airlines and waited my turn in line. Upon reaching the counter I informed the ticket agent that I had an unloaded firearm to declare. She called the Port Authority Police and calmly stated that she had customer who needed to declare a firearm. She gave me 2 orange tags to sign. I placed one on the com cable and the other on the outside handle of the bag. She placed a sticker on the front of my bag as well. The PA showed up with in 10 minutes. When they came into the terminal they were looking around. So I waved them over. I told them I have an unloaded firearm to declare. I presented them with my Nassau County pistol permit even though the permit has my picture he requested my DL. I opened the COM they looked down and said "OK" I locked the COM and suitcase and the ticket agent walked me over to TSA. The TSA ran my bag thru the x-ray machine while I waited at the door. They requested that I open the bag. They looked around and thru told me to close it up. (I think my shoes placed on the inside edge caused a shadow.) I asked if they will be removing the tag and sticker they said they would.
    Upon arriving in San Antonio I walked quickly to the front of the luggage carousel to be the first to grab my bag. But my bag never came out. Now I am kinda pissed and worried. I walked over to Delta baggage assistance and my bag was sitting there. Agent asked for Id and told me to take my bag. The point of the sticker is to direct the bag to him and only him. The kicker is that the orange firearms tag was still on the outside. I asked him about the tag. "Oh they were supposed to remove that JFK". So much for asking. I walked out to the rental car and suited up for the drive to Houston. Look for trip to Houston post.
    Glad you got everything ok...but man those things are like big STEAL ME stickers...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

You won the NY lottery.
    Lucky you weren't arrested.
    Not that you did anything wrong.

You are very lucky! Technically, even though we have NY State permits, we are not allowed in NYC with firearms. Even though federal law supposedly trumps the NYC laws, they could have given you a big headache.

Glad it worked out ok. Don't know if I have the nerve to try it though.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Good job you were legal passing thru. You helped us all out.

Coming from a NY resident, I would rather fly through one of the sateliite airports (outside of NYC) like White Plains or Newburg. Way too much of a headache to check in an uloaded gun NYC. I am glad that all went well though. Traveling at a major NYC airport is like travelling through the former Soviet Union.

I am telling you nobody looked at me twice. The PA oficers must of have some training. Great guys all the way around. No diffrence that If I stated I had a surf board. I will be flying to Vegas in 3 weeks. Will let you know how that goes.

Sponsored Links