I'm stunned, and I'm angry, really angry

This is a discussion on I'm stunned, and I'm angry, really angry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A friend posted this on another forum. I read it, I read it again to make sure I had seen what I thought I saw. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm stunned, and I'm angry, really angry

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

A friend posted this on another forum. I read it, I read it again to make sure I had seen what I thought I saw. And then I read it again and got really ticked off. When my temper cools down I will be writing a few letters, I hope you will too.
    This is what was posted:

"SHIMANO AMERICAN CORPORATION
    News Release

Media contact:
    John Mazurkiewicz/Catalyst Marketing – 574/289-1331 – jpmazurk@ameritech.net

For Immediate Release – 10/5/09
    FEDS TO 60 MILLION AMERICAN ANGLERS:
    WE DON’T NEED YOU

IRVINE, Calif. USA – October 5, 2009 – A recently published administration document outlines a structure that could result in closures of sport fishing in salt and freshwater areas across America. The White House created an Interagency Oceans Policy Task Force in June and gave them only 90 days to develop a comprehensive federal policy for all U.S. coastal, ocean and Great Lakes waters. Under the guise of ‘protecting’ these areas, the current second phase of the Task Force direction is to develop zoning which may permanently close vast areas of fishing waters nationwide. This is to be completed by December 9, 2009.
    Dave Pfeiffer, President of Shimano American Corporation explained, “In spite of extensive submissions from the recreational fishing community to the Task Force in person and in writing, they failed to include any mention of the over one million jobs or the 6o million anglers which may be affected by the new policies coast to coast. Input from the environmental groups who want to put us off the water was adopted into the report verbatim – the key points we submitted as an industry were ignored.”
    Recreational fishing generates a $125 billion annual economy in the United States and supports jobs in every state according to government figures. Through the Sport Fish Restoration program, anglers have provided more than $5 billion through excise taxes on fishing tackle to fishery conservation and education for decades.
    In addition to the economic aspects, anglers lead the nation in volunteer conservation efforts on behalf of improving fish habitat, water quality and related environmental areas. “There was no mention of the fishery conservation efforts which anglers have led for over 50 years in every state – an environmental success story that has no equal in the world”, said Phil Morlock, Director, Environmental Affairs for Shimano. “The Task Force did not make any distinction between the dramatic differences between harmful commercial fishing harvest methods and recreational fishing, even though we spelled it out for them in detail,” added Morlock.
    Claiming to be the result of a public consultation process the report states, “Having considered a broad range of public comments, this report reflects the requests and concerns of all interested parties.”
    The original White House memo and not surprisingly the Task Force report contains multiple references to developing a national policy where Great Lakes and coastal regions are managed, “consistent with international law, including customary international law as reflected in the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea” - a 300-page treaty the U.S. has never ratified.
    “We question what implications there will be for state authority and jurisdiction in the Great Lakes and coastal regions if the U.S. adopts the U.N. Treaty,” said Pfeiffer.
    The report makes it clear that future authority for implementing the policy for coastal and inland waters will fall under White House jurisdiction with a new National Ocean Council comprised of over 20 federal agencies at Cabinet Secretary or Deputy Secretary level. No reference to Congressional jurisdiction is indicated.
    “This significant change in U.S. policy direction is the result of a 90-day fire drill process as ordered by the President that, not surprisingly, lacks balance, clarity and quality in the end product,” said Morlock. “People who simply want to take their kids fishing on public waters deserve better from their government,” he added.
    Shimano is joining with other members of the recreational fishing industry to urge anglers to contact their members of Congress and the administration to request this process be required to adopt the economic, conservation and social contributions of recreational fishing as key elements of the policy. It is critical that we ensure Congressional oversight and state jurisdiction and management continues.
    E-letters can be sent to the administration and members of Congress by visiting KeepAmericanFishing.org. The future of fishing is in your hands.
    ###
    Editor’s Note: Phil Morlock is attending Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus functions this week in Washington, DC, but will make himself available for questions, interviews on this. Contact John Mazurkiewicz with Catalyst Marketing for arrangements. "
    Keep America Fishing

take action.

Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

When fishing is outlawed, only outlaws will have lures. Let's see, the Feds will shore-up & support outdated, ineffective, commercial failures in the Banking & Automotive Industries, but will close recreational fishing areas to the public?!? If this had been a movie 25 years ago I wouldn't have watched it, believing it to be too far-fetched. Sounds like "Large Mouthed Bass" (or somebody) has bought themselves some serious lobbying clout. Does nobody in Washington speak for me anymore?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

thanks for the post.

I just forward that on to friends who are Outdoors Editor’s of news papers, in hope they will make contact, and express our concerns.

I dunno...reading the actual report it seems they were well intentioned, but fouled up royally.
    I found the actual whitehouse report here:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/doc...rce_FINAL2.pdf

At first glance I would expect this to mean next years licenses and tackle will be considerably higher to cover the cost of all this bloat...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    thanks for the post.

I just forward that on to friends who are Outdoors Editor’s of news papers, in hope they will make contact, and express our concerns.
    Thank you!!!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    If true, I'd be angry too.

However I just checked the Shimano site and there's no mention of it.

Check it out at Press Releases
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Give it time, my source is a former Shimano rep himself and the release is dated yesterday, I'm sure the site will be updated soon.
    More info from the Task Force is here:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/doc...rce_FINAL2.pdf

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Change you can believe in.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Someone needs to examine the neck of Ms. Liberty... I believe those are strangulation marks.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Oh boy. And now it begans.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Crap now I gotta buy a black fishing rod and as many tactical lures as possible before they outlaw them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Crap now I gotta buy a black fishing rod and as many tactical lures as possible before they outlaw them
    Don't forget your pre-ban high cap tackle boxes too!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

10-4 on that; first guns, then fishing, what next??

I am going to forward this to my kool-aid drinking relatives, who are all big fisherman and see what they have to say about it..... Maybe they will see my point of view now that their hobby is threatened...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Don't forget your pre-ban high cap tackle boxes too!!
    Ya mean the ones that only hold ten lures?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I think the so-called environmentalists would have us living in grass huts like savages if they had their way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links