Survival lighter?

Survival lighter?

This is a discussion on Survival lighter? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was thinking of keeping a butane cigarette lighter in the car. Since they are wind proof I thought it would be handy to have ...

Thread: Survival lighter?

Survival lighter?

I was thinking of keeping a butane cigarette lighter in the car. Since they are wind proof I thought it would be handy to have incase I ever get stranded and need to start a fire. I'm not a smoker so I don't know much about their tolerances. Will they store safely in a hot car without leaking or blowing up? I don't mean oven hot but I have seen my car get up to 105 in the sun.

RONSON JETLITE BUTANE TORCH LIGHTER *BRAND NEW - eBay (item 310171460555 end time Oct-28-09 1852 PDT)

Now if it is safe to keep in the car, which would you assume would be better? One with the button that turns off the flame or one with the flint spark like this one.

Ultra Thin Butane Torch Cigarette Cigar Lighter - NEW - eBay (item 360195801983 end time Oct-12-09 1910 PDT)

I assume that the flint one will at least supply me with a spark even if I run out of gass. Or is a regular plastic lighter fluid lighter better?

How about this Light my Fire

Or even better, if you carry a knife Magnesium Firestarting Tool

Both are much more reliable than a lighter.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Administrator
    Watch the refillable types, you have to keep up with them, other wise the fuel drys up leaving you with a tiny piece of flint in a neat case. I really like my Zippo, but I have to fill it often even though I dont use it much at all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My main concern would be leaking of the fuel. Definitely not a Zippo style unless you also keep extra fluid, even then not sure about leakage and evaporation and stagnation. FWIW I found out the hard way that charcoal lighter fluid doesn't work in them. I would think BICs should be stable, although they are harder to light in cold weather (when you may be wearing gloves). Go old school and have strike-anywhere wood matches, and ziploc bags of dryer lint!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Go with one of the small soldering torches with a canister refill. If it's just for lighting fires. Keeps the flame away from your fingers. Kind of like this. Check the auto parts stores.

Turbo-Lite Mini Refillable Butane Torches - SOLAT-2060CR

Any kind of liquid fuel or liquid gas type lighter is a poor choice for long term storage and reliability. Yes, they are handy when they work and no reason not to use one if you have one. However for emergency survival situations or having something to store long term for emergencies, it's kind of a poor choice.

Your best bet is a flint and steel with some available tinder or the magnesium fire starter. Both are already mentioned in post #2.

Another decent alternative is the "strike anywhere" kitchen matches stored in a waterproof match container which has an "O" ring gasket seal on the lid.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I forgot and left one of those long butane lighter thingys on my dash board this summer. It exploded and blew little plastic fragments all over the place.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Lead Moderator
    A hand operated non gas lighter and some cotton ball/fire tender might be a better option for long term. Kept dry they will work. I tend to keep a few kinds of methods in my truck bag & hiking/camping gear.
    Finally , try your survival gear before you really need it. Knowing it works and how is important before you get in a bad situation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yup, pots # 2 Magnesium Firestarting Tool is the way to go IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Flint and steel will not fail, even wet. Tinder can be found almost anywhere. Cheapo toilet paper works good for tinder. Cabelas
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Administrator
    Back when this guy first started selling on Ebay I bought a couple of his kits. They work really well.
    His early kits were slightly different but, really all you need is the block of Magnesium and the flint for hundreds if not thousands of fire starts.
    Back when I bought from him there was no pouch and the flint was not lanyard mounted. It was just a plain large rod.
    The first thing I did when I received it was to go into the backyard & snatch up some dry pine needles.
    I shaved the Magnesium block with my knife & then also used a tiny portion of the rear of my knife blade to spark the flint.
    It took a few minutes to shave enough Magnesium off the block and onto the tinder but, after doing that I got a fire going in about a minute.
    So I drilled a shallow hole into the block of magnesium and Epoxied the flint rod into that.
    It's completely waterproof and utterly reliable.

Fire Starter Magnesium and Flint, Survival Camping *!!* - eBay (item 310172316735 end time Oct-09-09 17:30:37 PDT)

A Blast Match and some dryer lint in a zip lock bag.
    XD45C
    XD9SC
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    www.migunowners.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Flint and steel will not fail, even wet. Tinder can be found almost anywhere. Cheapo toilet paper works good for tinder. Cabelas
    Did you ever watch the show "Expedition" on the History Channel? There was a survival expert with the group named Benedict that carried tampons in his survival kit. He said they were great for starting fires in the wet. Sounds wierd but it worked.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    How about this Light my Fire

Or even better, if you carry a knife Magnesium Firestarting Tool

Both are much more reliable than a lighter.
    +1 I used the magnesium stick when I was in boy scouts, it doesn't take much to get a fire going.
    [One Nation Under God]

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    +1...Flint and steel WILL NOT FAIL! That doesn't include operator error though. Seriously, I can't count the number of times I've been out hiking or something and my nifty new or even old lighters FAILED. Flint and steel don't fail. Get a good striker set...or better yet 2 or 3 of different types. Keep one everywhere.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sponsored Links