Oh boohoo, cry me a river!

This is a discussion on Oh boohoo, cry me a river! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; haha, good stuff. I find it hard to believe this is actually reported as news. The bear meat I had was kind of greasy and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh boohoo, cry me a river!

haha, good stuff. I find it hard to believe this is actually reported as news.

The bear meat I had was kind of greasy and put me off. Is that normal?

2. Remove Ads

I'm a hunter and I do not believe those are the type of guiys I would ever hunt with
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Good grief! Moron can be found anywhere!
    You know what this sounds like?
    It sounds like the cop called some friends and ask them to put
    the bear down because it was near the road and causing
    trouble with traffic.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Technically legal? maybe....morally unethical...pretty much.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'd have to hear more on this but I can see both sides. On one hand they were "hunting" on the other hand it's kind of distasteful if they where right off the side of the road with all of those people around. I dunno I'm still in between.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think we have to remember that this was in Alaska, not downtown Chicago. Customs and attitudes are much different there.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

The bear had a perfect chance to kill just like the hunters did. Its not a national park, it was a hunting zone. While it dosent sound like the guys in camo were technically hunting persay the bear had just as much a chance to kill as they did. im sure it was gruesome for the families to see if they dont see it normally, but it sounds legal. Could be more too it though so can't say for sure.
    "On the subject of Osama bin Laden... we will track him down. We will capture him. We will bring him to justice, and I will follow him to the gates of hell."-John McCain

Not knowing Alaska's specific laws, I view this as nothing more than a successful hunt. I believe Kansas law used to say that you had to be at least 50 ft. off the edge of any roadway though I can find no mention of this in the current regulations.

If having your life put in danger becomes a criteria for sport hunting, then 99.99% of all sport hunting is done. I've never been attacked by a quail or a turtle dove, had a squirrel or rabbit charge me baring it's teeth or had ducks dive bomb me and try and knock me out of the boat. If all aspects of this are legal, I cannot see how this is any less ethical than me finding a game trail and sitting in a tree stand to ambush a deer.

While I don't hunt much any more I do, and always will, consider myself a hunter. I won't do anything illegal, I won't take a shot that I don't believe can result in a kill, I'll make every effort to track down wounded game and I won't trespass on another person's property without permission. Any successful hunt results in the death of a game animal. If everything these hunters did was legal, I'll only say "congratulations on a successful hunt." If they broke the law, then they should be strung up by their ears.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've hunted all my life and would never take a hind shot at an animal for starters. Next, road hunters are NOT hunters they are opportunists.

Hoss, at least when you set on a game trail you are out in the woods in their element employing hunting skills not alongside a highway.

The only way I could condone these actions are when a person NEEDS the meat to put food on the table, then sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do to keep the family fed. As long as it is legal...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I've hunted all my life and would never take a hind shot at an animal for starters. Next, road hunters are NOT hunters they are opportunists.

Hoss, at least when you set on a game trail you are out in the woods in their element employing hunting skills not alongside a highway.

The only way I could condone these actions are when a person NEEDS the meat to put food on the table, then sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do to keep the family fed. As long as it is legal...
    You're making a couple of assumptions based on one persons account that may, or may not be, accurate.

First, I see no confirmation that they took a hind shot. What may have been a hind shot from the observation angle of the woman quoted in the essay could very well have been a perfect quartering away shot from the angle of the hunters.

Second, we may have very different definitions of "road hunting". I mainly hunt only in Kansas, so I base my opinion on Kansas law. Since permission is needed to hunt any land other than the public hunting areas, I define "road hunting" as those unethical hunters who fire at game from the road or right-of-way without getting permission from those landowners to hunt their property. I do not consider someone who spots game from a roadway and then seeks permission from the landowner to pursue that game to be "road hunting". In most of the area around me, locating snow geese from the roadway and then securing permission to hunt them is a widely used method to hunt a bird that randomly comes down in a different wheat field every day. While a lot of farmers aren't too favorable to letting hunters go into a planted wheat field and set out hundreds of decoys to try and lure geese to their planted field, a good percentage of them are more than happy to allow hunters to try and sneak up on a flock that is already out there eating their crop.

Third, we have no confirmation that these hunters were even "road hunting" by any definition. Since the area they shot the bear in was a "legitimate hunting area", they could have been heading there to begin with. We have no indication that the "opportunity" for this bear was any more than a lucky coincidence. If hunting in an area that runs up to a highway is unethical, then Alaska should restrict hunting to X number of feet from a roadway.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    haha, good stuff. I find it hard to believe this is actually reported as news.

The bear meat I had was kind of greasy and put me off. Is that normal?
    If I wasn't so low on the bear meat I have, I'd invite you to dinner!! The bear meat I have is extremely lean, almost to a point! I could have left more of it, but I like it the way it is.

The bear meat a long time ago, I had was greasy too and had an off flavor. Not gamey, just bad. I think it is all in the way it is treated from when it is shot until it is frozen. Same applies to venison. It can be really good or really bad. I have had both and that is why I prefer to hunt does. I already have a 4X5 mounted on the wall and to me doe meat is a lot more mild. But, I have had bucks that tasted just like steak. I do all of my own butchering, so maybe this part of it.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    You're making a couple of assumptions based on one persons account that may, or may not be, accurate.

First, I see no confirmation that they took a hind shot. What may have been a hind shot from the observation angle of the woman quoted in the essay could very well have been a perfect quartering away shot from the angle of the hunters.

Second, we may have very different definitions of "road hunting". I mainly hunt only in Kansas, so I base my opinion on Kansas law. Since permission is needed to hunt any land other than the public hunting areas, I define "road hunting" as those unethical hunters who fire at game from the road or right-of-way without getting permission from those landowners to hunt their property. I do not consider someone who spots game from a roadway and then seeks permission from the landowner to pursue that game to be "road hunting". In most of the area around me, locating snow geese from the roadway and then securing permission to hunt them is a widely used method to hunt a bird that randomly comes down in a different wheat field every day. While a lot of farmers aren't too favorable to letting hunters go into a planted wheat field and set out hundreds of decoys to try and lure geese to their planted field, a good percentage of them are more than happy to allow hunters to try and sneak up on a flock that is already out there eating their crop.

Third, we have no confirmation that these hunters were even "road hunting" by any definition. Since the area they shot the bear in was a "legitimate hunting area", they could have been heading there to begin with. We have no indication that the "opportunity" for this bear was any more than a lucky coincidence. If hunting in an area that runs up to a highway is unethical, then Alaska should restrict hunting to X number of feet from a roadway.

Hoss
    Hoss, If the account of the "hunt" was acccurate as to it's circumstances and location, then I personally cannot in any way consider this hunting. Maybe legal and maybe not, I don't know but I certainly wouldn't consider it ethical. Additioanally it was irresponsible and dangerous. As the article stated, there were other people there including children and the possibility of wounding a bear in a crowded environment when it was not necessary to protect a human life is, in my opinion, pathetic. I would never hunt with the so called "hunters" from that article. They obviously have no respect for hunting or the game that they "hunt". Someone used the term moron to describe these "hunters" and that seems to be a perfect title.
    NRA life member.

“They got to the edge of the highway,” Locke said. “The bear had run partway up the hill and they opened fire on his backside.”

No assumptions Hoss just going by the above quote by the OP. I'm just giving my opinion as per the article no more no less. Around here we have people that ride the roads day and night looking for easy prey weather they have permission or not. More often scum bags that have had brushes with the law before and could care less.

Many of these idiots have shot decoy deer at night put out by ENCON, at least one has done it TWICE and arrested both times.

Yes we do seem to view road hunting differently and think you would feel the same as I do with my interpretation of it.

At the very least it was a bad idea given the number of people around and a poor demonstration of hunting. Again it's JMO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Seems to me, The Trooper might have called the hunters ; ) H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Whatever you think about the methods, if the hunt was done IAW state laws then it is an "ethical" hunt. Maybe you wouldn't do it that way, maybe you don't like it...but if it is lawful it is ethical. Also remember that there are still people who hunt for food, because they need it to survive not just because they like it.

One of the problems I run into down here is that people don't like deer hunting with hounds. Their way is the only way to hunt. If hunters would just STOP judging others for their legal methods of hunting the anti-hunters would have a much stronger group to fight. /rant off/
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links