Just finished a great book, a bit frightening though...

This is a discussion on Just finished a great book, a bit frightening though... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; just finished the book "Patriots", by James Wesley Rawles. It is a story about a group of friends, who see the events around them and ...

Thread: Just finished a great book, a bit frightening though...

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Just finished a great book, a bit frightening though...

just finished the book "Patriots", by James Wesley Rawles. It is a story about a group of friends, who see the events around them and begin to fear a breakdown of society. They begin to make preparations, one buys a home in the country in Idaho, and they store food, weapons, ammo, and anything that hey feel that they made need. Then, about 10 years into the preparations, society collapses. The book was written in the 90's, updates in 2000. As I read early in the book about the rampant inflation caused by the government getting heavily in debt, and printing tons of paper money not backed by anything, it really made me shutter, as I thought about the way Obama is taking the country. The bulk of the story deals with how the the group deals with life without electricity, creature comforts, and the defense from numerous scum bags and looters. As the story progresses, the UN gets involve, sending troops to pacify the country, and mainly secure their investments. The foreign troops turn out to be well organized, well armed looters, murderers, and rapists. They work to try to take the country back in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

It's a fantastic story, filed with great ideas for those into the survivalist camp. I highly recommend it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    That sounds like a great book, I think I'll hit the library tomorrow
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    sounds like a good book
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

like you said, I feel it hits too close to home
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

It has been mentioned in a couple of threads.
    You might want to check these out for other book suggestions.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nal-story.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ey-rawles.html
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

May have to read that book. Sounds very interesting!

Btw Squawker... How goes things with the new bird? Been worried about you lately and hoping you are recovering from your loss and enjoying the new companion!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Click on my link in my Signature line. Watch/Listen to that VID and then click on forecasts.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    It's an OK to moderately decent read--fictional storytelling is NOT the author's strong point.

Having said that up front, the story is just a vehicle to get across valuable survival data and survival principles--and those details are worth the price of the book.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Thanks for asking, Bark'n. The new bird is doing ok, but we're a bit disappointed. The day we saw him him the shop, he was on my shoulder the entire time, and when we got home, he spent the rest of the evening there. From then on though, he won't let either of us near him. We bought the bird on Sunday, and by Thursday we decided that he probably will never be what we want in a pet, and we took him back. The clerk, who was all smiles when we went in, scowled and told us that they don't make refunds. Now, both my wife and I distinctly remember her saying that we had a week to return him. When we said that to the clerk, she replied that she was speaking about the bird's health, and if he became sick in a week, we could return him. She also said there was a sign regarding the no return policy, and pointed to a sign on the front counter, below the top of the counter. First, I could understand one of us misunderstanding her, but not both, hearing the exact same thing. As far as the sign, we were never in front of the counter. We entered the store, and walked around to the birds. When we paid, we were on the side of the counter. Even had we been in the front, the sign was below belt level, and while I might if drunk make some claims regarding the abilities of that part of my torso, I doubt that the ability to read will ever be a part of it. Anyway, we're stuck. We are just trying to give the bird a good home, and hoping that the bird warms up to us. I my end up getting another, but I'll also want to get a second cage. It will be a little while on that. As far as my wife and I, we're getting by, past the worst part, but we still miss Tweeter terribly.

Links