TLC new show Mall Cops

This is a discussion on TLC new show Mall Cops within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Reality T.V. has gone too far. Not everyone's reality is very interesting, that's WHY people watch TV ! lol. I think we see so much ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TLC new show Mall Cops

Reality T.V. has gone too far. Not everyone's reality is very interesting, that's WHY people watch TV ! lol. I think we see so much of this crap these days because it's a whole lot cheaper than paying real actors, writers, and other professionals . More profit margin for the producers . The dumbing down of America continues.
    You are right about the History channel too, the other night they had a show on about prophecies, I was disgusted that they treated it with any degree of seriousness.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    Even the History Channel, which imo started out really great, has become, again imo, ridiculous, in large part.
    Yes -- History channel, Discovery channel, AMC, Food Network, Nat Geo, Science channel, are almost unwatchable at this point. Others aren't even worth mentioning.

The worst is when they do an all day marathon of the same cruddy shows. If I'm going to dedicate time to watching TV, I need to be learning something or seriously entertained. I guess I have odd taste.

I did happen to catch Key Largo, with the DVR, the other week (Bogart, Bacall, Ed G. Robinson)... easily one of the best movies ever made. I might watch it again if things keep up the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    The worst is when they do an all day marathon of the same cruddy shows. If I'm going to dedicate time to watching TV, I need to be learning something or seriously entertained. I guess I have odd taste.
    Or, like Hallmark channel right now, they have a 3 WEEK MARATHON of I Love Lucy reruns.

TV is lame. Even on traditional "movie nights" like Friday and Saturday evenings there is NOTHING worth watching on TV. I attribute this to the manifest idea that everything needs to be on DVD and nothing is going to be released to mass TV markets for airing for "free" until the video is an old and moldy classic that no one wants to see.

Stan...

Yes -- History channel, Discovery channel, AMC, Food Network, Nat Geo, Science channel, are almost unwatchable at this point. Others aren't even worth mentioning.

I did happen to catch Key Largo, with the DVR, the other week (Bogart, Bacall, Ed G. Robinson)... easily one of the best movies ever made. I might watch it again if things keep up the way they are.
    You sound like me. I thought I might be the only one. I have never watched a 'reality' show, dancing with the whatevers, idol, or any such truck. And it really tourques me off that AMC and TMC keep showing the same westerns over and over. I love those but there are so many good ones, that are rarely shown. I 'gotta take a blood pressure pill now.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Or, like Hallmark channel right now, they have a 3 WEEK MARATHON of I Love Lucy reruns.

TV is lame. Even on traditional "movie nights" like Friday and Saturday evenings there is NOTHING worth watching on TV. I attribute this to the manifest idea that everything needs to be on DVD and nothing is going to be released to mass TV markets for airing for "free" until the video is an old and moldy classic that no one wants to see.
    Well I'd rather watch I Love Lucy (actually, Fred Mertz is funny) than any reality TV, but who would actually watch a marathon of anything?

What is equally annoying is movies on high definition channels that are broadcast in standard definition (or less) -- for example, every time I see a listing for Heat (DeNiro, Pacino, 4 stars), I turn it on and the picture looks like a YouTube video. An old VHS would actually look better. Luckily, it's being released on blu-ray on November 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    You sound like me. I thought I might be the only one. I have never watched a 'reality' show, dancing with the whatevers, idol, or any such truck. And it really tourques me off that AMC and TMC keep showing the same westerns over and over. I love those but there are so many good ones, that are rarely shown. I 'gotta take a blood pressure pill now.
    I hear you... Rio Bravo is one of my favorite westerns, but I can't watch any movie more than about once a year... Seriously, we have over 100 years of film making that we should be able to enjoy, and what do we get? The same movies over and over. It's diabolical.

I guess I'm really just paying for the internet service.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Pretty much in agreement with you guys.

And the Detex... I had the misfortune of working one site, a junkyard, that I had to use those old Detex clocks. They were made quite well. I accidentally hit it on everything I came into contact with and it never missed a beat.

A few years ago I saw security using a cell-phone shaped handheld scanner on a bar code that was attached to a door window, not sure if it was a Detex or not. Funny, at first I thought, "How stupid, if the window gets broken then he can't scan the code!" Then I realized that was the point (I hope).
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Is it just me... or is there absolutely nothing worth watching on TV, these days? Every time I turn it on and flip through the channels, I turn it off after finding nothing even remotely interesting.

It's just a big mess of 'people doing dangerous things' (with endless slow-mo replays), 'people trying to be more shocking', 'alien/evil spirit sightings and rumours', bad old movies, re-runs of old sports, Green propaganda, 'smashing things', 'uber-witty comedy' (for the in-club), info-mercials, news blathering (balloon boy, etc.), and on, and on...

Dreck, dreck, dreck!

Puke, puke, puke!
    I don't get it . . . 3K plasma TV's, High Deffinition, $100.00 a month cable bills to watch trash, commercials and re-runs. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ENTERTAINMENT ON TV?
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links