Off topic question for the LEOs here

This is a discussion on Off topic question for the LEOs here within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A freind of mine just brought up an interesting question. "Ok, say there is someone traveling to Michigan to enjoy our lakes and spend some ...

Thread: Off topic question for the LEOs here

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

Off topic question for the LEOs here

A freind of mine just brought up an interesting question.

"Ok, say there is someone traveling to Michigan to enjoy our lakes and spend some money.....they are trailering a boat from out of state. A state that does not require trailer plates (Tennesee, Wisc, Minnnesota, etc.).

What is this person supposed to do when they get here? Get a temp registration? Get a Mi trailer plate?

How does this to work?"
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    This is all hypothetical, right??
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Moderator
    If they are just visiting and not taking up residence, they shouldnt have to do anything.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    This is all hypothetical, right??
    Unfortunately no. From the way I understand things the guy is traveling from TN to MI for an upcoming bass tournament and was ticketed by a MI county sheriff.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If they are just visiting and not taking up residence, they shouldnt have to do anything.
    Even if a citation is issued?

Senior Moderator
    If his state does not require a trailer plate, and his license shows to be from said state, then that ticket is bogus and should be dismissed in court...unless state law requires some sort of visitor registration which I doubt.

For instance, Arkansas does not issue a front license plate, in some states that issue both a front and a back, and they insist on giving tickets for no front plate, knowing that more than likely they will not return for the court date and just pay the ticket. Should they show up for the date, most likely it would be thrown out of court.

Yes, it is wrong and it no, it ain't right but that is the way it is.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Kentucky has no front license plate, nor do their light trailers need registration. They travel in Ohio all the time which Ohio residents requires both. However, a Ohio registered vehicle pulling a non-tagged trailer is PC for a traffic stop. Once the trailer is declared to be a KY trailer and with a few questions after that....no citation is issued (generally), but it still gives the opportunity to check for wants and warrants.

yea..... bogus ticket. Just an easy way to make a few bucks, pretend to be doing a job, and knowing that the person will 99% of the time NOT be coming back for court........ Have him call the DA's office and speak with the DA that would handle the complaint should it go to court. May have to be kinda forceful also..... not dis-respectful mind you, but they may try to brush you off.....
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

I cant speak for those states but I can speak for Oregon. Usually not a good idea to ticket a washington tagged car in the same scenerio here in oregon unless its proven that the occupant and subjects have assumed residency in oregon(30-90 days) im sure it varies from state to state..
    I wouldnt write it and would see it getting tossed unless the above mentioned was met.

Administrator
    Hotguns pretty much explained it. However, I'm not ready to say that the ticket was written solely for revenue purposes. There are so many other factors that play into the officers discretion. The front plate example... yeah, thats bogus.

Anyway, even in states that don't require tags, usually do sticker it with a state inspection sticker. That sticker usually will be found on the tongue.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I wouldn't pay it and just forget about it unless he plans on returning to Mi. All they can do is issue a local warrant. They sure aren't going to extradite him for a traffic ticket and the warrant will expire in 6 months.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I wouldn't pay it and just forget about it unless he plans on returning to Mi. All they can do is issue a local warrant. They sure aren't going to extradite him for a traffic ticket and the warrant will expire in 6 months.
    BAD IDEA!
    where in this country does a warrant expire after 6 months?

Links