You Can't Make This Up

You Can't Make This Up

This is a discussion on You Can't Make This Up within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman gored after trying to pet deer By:Linda Kotsaftis FLORISSANT, Colorado - A woman called a deer and tried to pet it, but the deer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Can't Make This Up

Talking You Can't Make This Up

Woman gored after trying to pet deer

By:Linda Kotsaftis

FLORISSANT, Colorado - A woman called a deer and tried to pet it, but the deer lowered its head and charged her instead, according to the Colorado Division of Wildlife

The 63-year-old woman was at her sister's house Monday evening when the attack happened. The sister's family had seen the deer at their home several times. The attacked happened at the home on Colorado Road 31 near Florissant on Monday. A driver on the road saw the attack and tried to stop the deer. The person was able to scare the animal away. The Teller County Sheriff's Office responded and while medical workers were helping the woman the animal kept coming back to the area.

One of them said, "We had to constantly harass it away from us." The woman, Joan Nutt, was transported to Pikes Peak Regional Medical Center in Woodland Park where she was treated for cuts and bruises. Nutt says she had grabbed hold of an antler of the animal and tried to fend it off, but it knocked her down. Wildlife Officer Aarno Flohrs says the animal walked right up to him when he arrived at the scene. The animal was tranquilized and later euthanized because it was "deemed a threat to human safety." "There was no direct evidence Nutt was feeding the animal, but this deer's behavior was a clear indication that someone in the area had tried to domesticate a wild deer and treat it as a pet," Flohrs said.

Nutt's brother-in-law, Ervin Stohl, told the this particular buck came to their house every afternoon. He says there is usually a bunch of females nearby. Stohl said, "There were no does today and the buck was angry." (Copyright KUSA TV, All Rights Reserved)

Personally, I believe the woman should have been euthanized, not the buck. Sad that the Beverly Hillbillies have found Colorado. She had the correct last name though. Lucky it wasn’t an Elk.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Nutt, how appropriate.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Isn't this the beginning of the mating season? Males lose all sense of fairness...
    The woman is lucky to be alive...those animals are nothing to mess with...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I lived in Florida one time and we had alligators around (imagine that). The tourist would go up to the gators and take their picture. All the while the gator was thinking "food".
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Why euthanize the deer? I say let the two of 'em keep on doin' their thing. After the 'Nutt' is taken care of, bring in the people who have been feeding the deer.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    nice
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Well, it's that time of year, almost.

You'd be bummed, too, if after shredding the tourist in the fuzzy purple sweater, they'd stop feeding you scraps from all that food they'd brung up the mountain, obviously just for you.

Until you've had a deer comin' after you, for having come too close to the group, you don't know what you're missin':

"Look at the pretty deer, Floyd! Aw, isn't he cute, now. Look at all the pretty fuzz on his head, between those hard, pointy-looking things. I'll bet he'd like being scratched there. Look at his tail twitch, flicking back and forth, faster and faster. Hey! The hair on his back makes a ridge, just like on Tom's dog when he gets riled. You don't think ..."

Nope. Apparently not.

Oops. Thirty miles in from Colorado Springs, you'd think it's outside the "yuppie" bubble from CS. Apparently not.

As for killing the deer, I can't say I approve. Though, I'm unfamiliar with whether they end up being as bad of a nuisance as happens with black bears.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Never underestimate human stupidity
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    I guess Bambi is not as gentle in real life as he is in the movie.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sometimes you feel like a nutt sometimes you don't
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The idiots and animal rights wack-o's always think Deer are gentle and friendly because of Bambi. Deer can be pretty darn mean tempered. I remember when I was growing up I heard about a hunter who fell asleep at the base of a tree during deer season and was stomped to death by a deer. At least that was the theory.

Deer are not particularly nice animals especially during this time of year.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Why is it that some supposedly educated folk think that something weighing in at oh 100+ pounds with 4 to 6 inch sharp spikes on it's head is cute and cuddly?

I wonder what part of "wild" animal didn't register?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

um...yeah.....WOW
    that is definitely one nutt that's a bit cracked!
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Happens all the time... It's worse with the Elk in Estes Park... I've seen cars totally destroyed by bull elk during the rut. Stupidity is something that never gets old. When I lived in the Springs there was a lady up in Green Mountain just outside of Woodland park that got upset when the CDFW fined her something like $20,000.00 because she was feeding all the black bears and had at one time over 15 in a 1/2 mile radius wreaking havoc on all the homes. Lots of lost pets and livestock in the area. The ignorant waste of air was leaving 5lb rolls of hamburger out all over her property...
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner69 View Post
    [A lady up in Green Mountain] ... was feeding all the black bears ... leaving 5lb rolls of hamburger out all over her property...
    Wow.

A person chumming for wild bears with 5-lb packages of hamburger can't possibly realize that, to a bear, a 125-lb package of "hamburger" that attempts to run away would be even more enticing.

Thirty-six packets of hamburger: $160.
    Telephone calls at 2am to Animal Control, over next 6mos: $123.
    Making it out, alive, with both hands, feet and the ability to use a spoon: Priceless.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links