Walmart just got into the cellular game...$30 for 1000 anytime minutes!

This is a discussion on Walmart just got into the cellular game...$30 for 1000 anytime minutes! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Walmart is offering a low priced nationwide cell service at two price points. $30 for 1000 anytime minutes 1000 text msgs and 30 MB of ...

Thread: Walmart just got into the cellular game...$30 for 1000 anytime minutes!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Walmart just got into the cellular game...$30 for 1000 anytime minutes!

Walmart is offering a low priced nationwide cell service at two price points. $30 for 1000 anytime minutes 1000 text msgs and 30 MB of mobile web access and a $45 unlimited everything plan (including 411 service). They partnered with Tracfone and will be using Verizon towers. The phones look a little boring but maybe by Christmas they will have some cool phones. BTW: They are CDMA so forget about using your fancy unlocked iPhone or similar offering.

www.Walmart.com or www.StraightTalk.com

www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=1045119

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/14/n...storm-walmart/

http://gizmodo.com/5381437/walmart-o...lan-nationwide

2. Remove Ads

That's not a bad price, and you are not locked into the ridiculous 2 year contracts. The only drawback is the rather pathetic phone selections, but if all you need and want is a basic phone it will do.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    That's not a bad price, and you are not locked into the ridiculous 2 year contracts. The only drawback is the rather pathetic phone selections, but if all you need and want is a basic phone it will do.
    I totally agree. The coverage of the Verizon network makes it very attractive too.

that might make verizon drop their prices a little to compete.

They may be using Verizon towers, but I'll bet a Verizon call blows the Walmart call off the tower.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i pay 50 for my boost
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    They may be using Verizon towers, but I'll bet a Verizon call blows the Walmart call off the tower.
    Don't think so. I think Tracfone has contract w/ multiple services. Tracfone's coverage is as good as anyones.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

If I am not mistaken, you only have 30 days to use 1000 minutes. If that is the case, I couldn't use to 1000 minutes if I was on amphetamines and caffeine.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Quote Originally Posted by gaowlpoop View Post
    If I am not mistaken, you only have 30 days to use 1000 minutes. If that is the case, I couldn't use to 1000 minutes if I was on amphetamines and caffeine.
    While that may be true, other national carriers charge as much as $90 per month for 1000 minutes and 1000 texts per month. Call me old fashioned but I'm the kind of person that uses a phone to make calls, not play twitter on facebooks. For $30 I can talk all month and not have any overages. It is also worth noting that there are not any hidden fees. You pay for the $30 card and simply the the applicable state tax on the $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    While that may be true, other national carriers charge as much as $90 per month for 1000 minutes and 1000 texts per month. Call me old fashioned but I'm the kind of person that uses a phone to make calls, not play twitter on facebooks. For $30 I can talk all month and not have any overages. It is also worth noting that there are not any hidden fees. You pay for the $30 card and simply the the applicable state tax on the $30.
    Couldn't agree more. No hidden fees and no gotchas at the end of the month. It also gets you out of paying all the stupid fees and taxes on the bills. By the way...What is a universal service Fee??? I always thought that was my basic bill.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Have you guys heard of Cricket Wireless? It is a prepay service. You pay monthly BEFORE you get the minutes. It is unlimited calls nationwide and text for like $45. Cricket | Cell Phone Provider & Wireless Carrier | Official Site
    I think this is better than the walmart plan. IMO.

this is very interesting.......

not to hijack just throwing this out there....

But check out google voice... it's due to come out to the public soon, it will revolutionize cell phone carriers and force them to give into lower more economical more bang for your buck plans just like this is starting to do.

check out these two links:

Make Unlimited Free Calls on Your Cellphone with Google Voice - Google Voice - Lifehacker

and

Google Voice

i work for a large dental supply/IT company and all of our phones are going to VOIP calling. This is putting a stranglehold on Verizon and other landline companies.

This walmart plan isn't too shabby. I think i would have to get the phone and have like an iPod touch to connect wifi with and just the phone for just that...a phone.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    this is very interesting.......

not to hijack just throwing this out there....

But check out google voice... it's due to come out to the public soon, it will revolutionize cell phone carriers and force them to give into lower more economical more bang for your buck plans just like this is starting to do.

check out these two links:

Make Unlimited Free Calls on Your Cellphone with Google Voice - Google Voice - Lifehacker

and

Google Voice

i work for a large dental supply/IT company and all of our phones are going to VOIP calling. This is putting a stranglehold on Verizon and other landline companies.

This walmart plan isn't too shabby. I think i would have to get the phone and have like an iPod touch to connect wifi with and just the phone for just that...a phone.
    I've been a Google Voice user since it was in early beta and called Grand Central GrandCentral: The New Way to Use Your Phones (about 2.5 years now). The service is great and I use my FREE Google supplied local phone number as my primary number. This allows me jump ship to any carrier that offers me the lowest price and I never have to worry about number portability because I simply link the Google Voice number to the new number. I have switched cell carriers a few times and never missed a single call. For my landline VoIP service I link a Skype Out number to my Google Voice and get unlimited calling to North America for about $30 a year.

Links