"Mrs. Katzenjammer, is there a problem?"

This is a discussion on "Mrs. Katzenjammer, is there a problem?" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Rant o' the Week: So how many have watched the various scenarios produced by a leading home alarm service company? Each time the BG busts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Mrs. Katzenjammer, is there a problem?"

Distinguished Member

"Mrs. Katzenjammer, is there a problem?"

Rant o' the Week:
    So how many have watched the various scenarios produced by a leading home alarm service company? Each time the BG busts in, the alarm goes off and the alarm company calls in about 1.4 seconds. She picks up the phone (it's always a woman) and a voice says, "Mrs. Smith, is there a problem?" The firm and masculine voice, on minimum wage, then says, "Help is on the way Mrs. Smith." Being the snarky guy I am, I mute that part and say, "This would be a good time to pray, Mrs. Smith, cause you and your fam are about to die!"
    One scenario has the enraged and jealous ex boyfriend who runs the other way when the alarm goes off and she screams. Yeah, that's gonna happen. As the the wry bumper sticker says, "When only seconds count, a cop is just minutes away."
    I'm not saying an alarm system is worthless. Not at all. But the commercial gives you the idea that the BG runs the other way as the police car tires are screeching around the bend on your block.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Too bad you can't sue for false advertising,If you think about it you got this guy calling your house while you may be calling 911 by yourself only to have your phone ring while in the middle of dialing,an alarm is a good early warning defense and should allow you enough time to draw and double tap before junior calls and you respond with yes send an ambulance for the bodies
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Remember, it's just a commercial.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post

Yeah, they do make it look like that's all ya need is their service and you're golden. I've got the whole house alarm and phone alerts thing for my home, but I prefer my choice of Gold, 124gr +p 9mm.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Rant o' the Week:
    So how many have watched the various scenarios produced by a leading home alarm service company? Each time the BG busts in, the alarm goes off and the alarm company calls in about 1.4 seconds. She picks up the phone (it's always a woman) and a voice says, "Mrs. Smith, is there a problem?" The firm and masculine voice, on minimum wage, then says, "Help is on the way Mrs. Smith." Being the snarky guy I am, I mute that part and say, "This would be a good time to pray, Mrs. Smith, cause you and your fam are about to die!"
    One scenario has the enraged and jealous ex boyfriend who runs the other way when the alarm goes off and she screams. Yeah, that's gonna happen. As the the wry bumper sticker says, "When only seconds count, a cop is just minutes away."
    I'm not saying an alarm system is worthless. Not at all. But the commercial gives you the idea that the BG runs the other way as the police car tires are screeching around the bend on your block.
    These commercials bother me, too! I've been in many homes with alarms...they don't call that fast.

I always add, "Don't worry Mrs. Smith, the police will be there in just 20 minutes."...OR...I take the part of a gun owner being called and add, "Oh there no longer a problem, just send the coroner, the BG is dead on the floor. How do I get red stains out of the carpet?"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    I think just about everyone on this forum has the same thought when they see that commercial.

I have seen a parody someplace where the female grabs a weapon and blows the bad guy away and when the guy on the phone asks if everything is OK she just says something like "yes".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Hold the phone!

Are you suggesting that commercials...on tv...are not (gasp) TRUE??! Next thing you'll be telling me is that the bills out of Congress are smoke and mirrors. Or, the POTUS was just campaigning when he promised all that stuff.

I am stunned.

Sorry, I just had to get it out of my system.

Yeah, those commercials drive me nuts, too.
    (Along with Congress, the POTUS, reality TV, local school boards..............)

Okay, I'm going back to bed now. I'm just too depressed.
    Maybe I'll go shoot something.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Yeah, same here.
    +1 on the alarm company calling after a few minutes, not seconds.
    +1 on the "when seconds count, a cop is only minutes away."
    I have seen that one with the gal with an AR-15, blowin' the bad guy away. Certainly a change.

Short hijack; what really bugs me, (just ask my daughter) is paying for cable, and having to watch commercials in the first place. If I am paying for the broadcast, shouldn't it be free?

We now return to your previous programming.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Yeah, I think the same thing each time I see those stupid commercials.

I had a "home alarm system" salesman come to my door hawking their services. I had to hold back our angry dog with a leash as I spoke to him. I told him to wait at the door for a moment. Went with dog in tow and got my S&W 9mm, brought it back to the door, racked a round into the chamber and told him, "These are my security system, thank you very much!"

His jaw dropped open and he left. Haven't seen any security system folks lately around my door. Wonder why?!?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Hold the phone!

Are you suggesting that commercials...on tv...are not (gasp) TRUE??! Next thing you'll be telling me is that the bills out of Congress are smoke and mirrors. Or, the POTUS was just campaigning when he promised all that stuff.

I am stunned.

Sorry, I just had to get it out of my system.

Yeah, those commercials drive me nuts, too.
    (Along with Congress, the POTUS, reality TV, local school boards..............)

Okay, I'm going back to bed now. I'm just too depressed.
    Maybe I'll go shoot something.
    All you guys make me laugh. And, believe me, this morning I needed it! tx!!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I do have an alarm service, and I thought I'd put it to the test (which is a good thing to do every so often anyway).

I set off the alarm, and my stopwatch at the same time. It took about 4 minutes before my alarm company called. I told them it was just a test, and that everything was fine.

But... assuming I did not answer the phone. The alarm company would then have to call the local police department. I know for a fact that it takes them about 10 minutes to get here, maybe a little faster if it was an emergency. So, we are looking at a minimum of 10-15 minutes, maybe longer, before help arrives.

Yes, I think the commercials are misleading, and it is a comforting thought to know I have a shotty and a handgun available if needed.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Short hijack; what really bugs me, (just ask my daughter) is paying for cable, and having to watch commercials in the first place. If I am paying for the broadcast, shouldn't it be free?

PLUS 1billion..!!!!!
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I think just about everyone on this forum has the same thought when they see that commercial.

I have seen a parody someplace where the female grabs a weapon and blows the bad guy away and when the guy on the phone asks if everything is OK she just says something like "yes".
    Right when the door get kicked in I pause the commerical and said the wife. Wouldn't makes more sense if the guy stepped into the house,she reaches IWB and send two Com ? Case closed!! She safe BG is

I have tested our alarm at the house. The office one got tested plenty when we first installed it, but that is a different story. Anyway at the house it really only took them about 15 to 30 seconds to call after the alarm was actually activated. Meaning when I took too long to shut the alarm off after entering the house. It is 30 seconds from the door switch before the alarm will trigger.

That being said, there is a mode you can set when at home that will automatically trigger the alarm when entry is made into the house. So by the time your phone called the alarm company, then the alarm company calls back I guess it would still be 15 to 30 seconds before the alarm company calls back, but the alarm will trigger immediately generating a very loud sound both inside the house and outside for the neighbors to hear. I don't use this mode when home because too often in the a.m. or at night if I go into the garage I would set the alarm off. I leave it in a 30 sec delay even when home.

Are the commericials unrealistic, yes. Do they get across a point that an alarm can be helpful, yes. Do they probably sell alarm systems, yes, that is what they are designed to do. If people are oblivious to their own security is an alarm system better than nothing, yes.

I take these commericals like any other commercials. They are designed to sell a product. If I am interested I might pay attention, if not, I have 2 to 3 minutes to get another beer, make popcorn, or take a wiz or do something else before the show comes back on.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The part of these commericals I cant understand is when the woman is running to hide she stops to answer the bliping phone!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links