Response to wife

This is a discussion on Response to wife within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife ask me yesterday, outa the blue. "Just how many guns are in the house?" I thought about it for a second and said, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Response to wife

Question Response to wife

My wife ask me yesterday, outa the blue. "Just how many guns are in the house?"

I thought about it for a second and said, "don't worry about that, they're all locked away, you just remember where your home defense gun is if you need it." I asked her why? She said, I just wanted to know. I left it at that. After thinkin about it for a while, I'm wondering if I was wrong not to let her know the exact number and where they are. Feeling kinda guilty for some reason, net even sure why.

Just curious what some of you folks think, or what you might do in the same situation. She's not an anti or a pro gun person, but she just says, I don't like guns.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Seems to me she should know how many, what, and where they are kept. Not because you have to share everything with her but.... what if something happens to you, she's now responsible for securing all her newly acquired guns.

I had the same conversation with my wife last December. It seems that I went a little overboard with my gun purchases after November 4th for some reason.

I eventually ended up telling her due to her persistence. She was less than thrilled to say the least. She's ok with me having guns, but she doesn't understand why anybody would need more than 1 handgun, 1 rifle, and 1 shotgun.

With her it was more of a financial thing though. I'm known for getting fired up into a hobby, spending lots of time and money on it, then moving on to something else. She was afraid that I'd lose interest in my guns after awhile. She did feel a little better when I showed her how well they keep their value, if properly taken care of. And I don't ever see myself losing interest in guns.

Admittedly I did spend a lot of money between Nov 4th and Dec. But my gun safe is more interesting now, and each one of my kids has an XDm waiting for them when they get older!

In my experience women just don't ask questions like that out of the blue, they usually have a reason. My advice is to tell her how many you have, then tell her why you have that many. If it will help, be sure to mention how well they hold their value.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    -Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I get that question occasionally too. Good thing he didn't ask last night, two more suddenly appeared, temporarily
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

LOL - Thanks Rugergirl! I'm glad it's not just a 'guy' thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Plop View Post
    I had the same conversation with my wife last December. It seems that I went a little overboard with my gun purchases after November 4th for some reason.

I eventually ended up telling her due to her persistence. She was less than thrilled to say the least. She's ok with me having guns, but she doesn't understand why anybody would need more than 1 handgun, 1 rifle, and 1 shotgun.

She's right...just like she only needs 3 pairs of shoes, white, black, and sneakers.

With her it was more of a financial thing though. I'm known for getting fired up into a hobby, spending lots of time and money on it, then moving on to something else. She was afraid that I'd lose interest in my guns after awhile. She did feel a little better when I showed her how well they keep their value, if properly taken care of. And I don't ever see myself losing interest in guns.

Admittedly I did spend a lot of money between Nov 4th and Dec. But my gun safe is more interesting now, and each one of my kids has an XDm waiting for them when they get older!

In my experience women just don't ask questions like that out of the blue, they usually have a reason.

There is no such thing as an innocent question. Repeat after me...there is no such thing as an innocent question.

My advice is to tell her how many you have, then tell her why you have that many.

She is your life partner. Tell her.

If it will help, be sure to mention how well they hold their value.

-Plop
    Help her to understand, then deal with the consequences, if any.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Mine has learned not to ask.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Plop View Post

In my experience women just don't ask questions like that out of the blue, they usually have a reason. My advice is to tell her how many you have, then tell her why you have that many. If it will help, be sure to mention how well they hold their value.

-Plop
    This will shut her up....Ask her how many pairs of shoes she has. Tell her that you don't understand why anyone would need more than 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of dress shoes, and 1 pair of work shoes. Now here's the important part....run!
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

When my wife asked that question, I thought it was going to be pretty much what the OP was saying. However...

She wanted to know so in case she ever had to use them when I was away, she'd know where they were.

She also wanted to know HOW to use them.

Then she wanted to go shoot them, get her permit and then OWN one herself.

Needless to say after the intital question, she has successfully completed the course.

Perhaps the OP needs to take wife to a range and let her shoot one? I did and my wife LOVES it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I would tell her. It's always better to be nice. Treat her with respect and love and you'll probably get the same thing back.

JoJoGunn,
    Good post.

If my wife asked me that question, I wouldn't be able to answer. But I would tell to just go count them.

Correct immediate answer is an honest "I don't know". If she won't tell you why she needs to know, she's got an agenda, like a potential argument brewing. IMHO, she started the conversation, she needs to be upfront about why, before you're upfront about how many. You many want to rent a storage shed for a short while :).

She's your wife and your best friend............it might be best, but I think SIXTO's wife knows best
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks for the input and the suggestions. I have tried most of the suggestions, and tried on several occasions to get her to the range, but she's just not into it.

She likes her soaps and shopping and all the other things that most ladies enjoy. Oddly enough, she's not really into shoes that much, but just about anything for the house and yard will just magically appear some where around the house, and she'll tell me, "We've had that, I bought it a while back". Oh okay..... green light for a new toy for me..

I would agree with those that say, I should tell her for safety sake, and for the most part she knows where most all of um are. I have two safes in the house, one upstairs and one down stairs. The only ones she don't know about are the new ones that show up from time to time on my hip or in my pocket. In-fact, that's how the question came up. She finally noticed the CW9 that I bought several months back as I was disarming and that's when she ask me"How many".

Anyway, I'm glad Rugergirl replied as she did. I was feeling like I may have been a little insensitive to my wife's question. Sounds like the subject will cross genders when it needs to, and it's nice to have a ladies perspective. Cheers,

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Correct immediate answer is an honest "I don't know". If she won't tell you why she needs to know, she's got an agenda, like a potential argument brewing.
    BINGO! That's what went through my head in that second it took me to answer......

After 14 years of marriage, I kinda know when one's brewing.... That or she's getting ready to buy some high dollar item, so she can use the old, "You got a new gun, so I can buy this". She's a clever girl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links