'Fess UP! Who puts a NAME to their firearm?

This is a discussion on 'Fess UP! Who puts a NAME to their firearm? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you remember the movie Full Metal Jacket this ain't as sissified as it sounds. I did it ONCE as I stated on another thread ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Fess UP! Who puts a NAME to their firearm?

Exclamation 'Fess UP! Who puts a NAME to their firearm?

If you remember the movie Full Metal Jacket this ain't as sissified as it sounds. I did it ONCE as I stated on another thread and I'll do a cut/paste to put that story here:

The very first 1911 I ever owned I still have although she's a safe queen. A Remington Rand 1911 made in 1943 from my research. She'd already been heavily customized when I got her as I entered active duty at Fort Lewis WA. Got her at an off post gunshop for exactly $425. She's the only gun to which I have ever attached a "name." Betsy from the John Wayne movie "Big Jake." That was a tactical decision, believe it or not.

My first date with the gal I eventually married was to Church. The second date was to the range. She already was familiar with firearms, her dad being a retired Marine Colonel who flew with the famous Black Sheep in WWII. But I trained her in self defense with my old Betsy. She loved Betsy so much she WANTED Betsy for herself! So I had to buy her a Commander 45 and install tritiums.

When we got married I used to train my wife for the hostage scenario. In the event either one of us got caught out of condition yellow at the front door and were taken by a BG and forced inside, we were to call out as code: HONEY! I'm home with COMPANY! Get BETSY and come say hello! This was the signal to the other party that hostilities were underway, to get their weapon, acquire the target and shoot. Hopefully the BG will think the captive is scared silly and referring to a child. It also meant it was the hostages responsibility to get to the floor by any means necessary, so as to provide a clear field of fire. We played it out several times with finger guns. That was years ago.

About six months ago, I got home early and yelled that I was home, however the wife didn't hear my voice. She did however hear the door close. Good girl and well trained, she had BETSY locked and loaded slicing the pie in a very tactical manner until she confirmed the friendly (ME). Was I upset to be confronted by the loaded weapon? Heck NO! I was rejoicing that she remembered her training so well! She's a KEEPER after 18 years.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; April 15th, 2006 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Cut & paste story from another thread to enhance this one
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

erh
    ExSoldier762 - I'll admit to making up some pretty foul names for various firearms I've had over the years... But a specific name for a single weapon; not really. I have on more than a couple of occasions been in situations where I could have made others call my firearm of the moment "Anything I Wanted Them Too..!" But, happily now that was another lifetime...

Eric Howland

Yep, Like my Kimber, my Colt , my Smith, etc. I don't name them, never even thought to name them.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

OD*
    Only two, a Winchester 1894 called Mr. Horn and a Colt Government Model the owner had engraved with his nick-name "Slut Puppy" and his initials, both are gone (initials & nick-name, not the guns).

But everybody still refers to it as "Slut Puppy."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    Never had one that I thought had enough of a "personality" to warrant a name.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    My friend calls his AR "The Big Dog" does that count?
    Curry

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I call my .50 Beowulf..."Hoggermeister",but don't tell the guyz at the range. Thanx ----

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Never had one that I thought had enough of a "personality" to warrant a name.
    Really? Old Betsy was made in 1943. I got her outside an army post (Ft. Lewis) in 1981. Between those years lies an awful lot of history including WWII, Korea & Vietnam. She could've seen combat in any or all. Not to mention a turbulent civil rights era and the swingin' 60's (not going THERE) ....so much history for a history teacher. Sorta like that Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire..."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    My friend calls his AR "The Big Dog" does that count?
    Damn skippy it sure does!

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Only two, a Winchester 1894 called Mr. Horn
    Would that be for Mr. TOM Horn? If so, kewl. Anybody else here know the story of Tom Horn? No fair if you use the movie with Steve McQueen.

Assistant Administrator
    Not really - closest I might get to it is acknowledgeing the presence of ''my friend''. More a euphemism than name!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Not really - closest I might get to it is acknowledgeing the presence of ''my friend''. More a euphemism than name!
    You know in my DISTANT past...I had a girlfriend who used to prattle on about how she wanted to see me and "my friend" often...and she wasn't a shooter in the strict sense of the word.

VIP Member
    Mina, Joao & Pietro.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    Mina, Joao & Pietro.
    Lemme guess, is Pietro your Beretta Mini-Cougar 45? My wife named her little M84 Pietro, until she decided she wanted her Colt Commander. This was an appeaser to her demand for my Betsy. She decided the M84 was too inaccurate and didn't have the same ummmmm authority as Betsy. LOL

i named two of mine, my wife named a third.

my ar180b i named post office gun. i know that's sick but so's my sense of humor.

my kel tec sub 2000 is the amazing fold-a-gun.

my wife named my hi point carbine. that @#$& ugly gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links