Important facebook/twitter etc security info

This is a discussion on Important facebook/twitter etc security info within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Facebook, Twitter users beware: Crooks are a mouse click away - CNN.com SNIP (CNN) -- If you're on Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking ...

Facebook, Twitter users beware: Crooks are a mouse click away - CNN.com

SNIP
    (CNN) -- If you're on Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking site, you could be the next victim.

Experts say cybercrooks are lurking just a mouse click away on popular social networking sites.

That's because more cyberthieves are targeting increasingly popular social networking sites that provide a gold mine of personal information, according to the FBI. Since 2006, nearly 3,200 account hijacking cases have been reported to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, a partnership between the FBI, the National White Collar Crime Center and the Bureau of Justice Assistance.

It starts with a friend updating his or her status or sending you a message with an innocent link or video. Maybe your friend is in distress abroad and needs some help.

All you have to do is click.

When the message or link is opened, social network users are lured to fake Web sites that trick them into divulging personal details and passwords. The process, known as a phishing attack or malware, can infiltrate users' accounts without their consent.

Once the account is compromised, the thieves can infiltrate the list of friends or contacts and repeat the attack on subsequent victims. Social networking sites show there is ample opportunity to find more victims; the average Facebook user has 120 friends on the site...
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    So no different than any other part of the internet.

Thankfully, I have a below average friend count.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

If you open your door to strangers, you get what you get. If you help them in through the front door, then you can get it in spades. Caution applies with the front door, but it applies equally strongly to any situation with strangers.

Obviously, it applies to computer accounts as well. On-line, definitely, consider only going to sites you know, clicking on attachments in emails from people you know or are expecting. Uncertain? Contact the sender via a different method (ie, telephone) and ask about the email/attachment.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

And use LINUX! At least to avoid the Windows virus/email/drive by websites! The rest of ^^^ totally applies!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

This isn't really new. Phishing happens all the time, except now they're using it to grab your facebook info. I get a few e-mails from my "bank" and "credit card companies" that look impressively realistic, but I know that they have no reason to ever e-mail me asking me to "verify" something.

People should always be suspicious when they click on something and it takes them to a login. Also, the facebook login is encrypted - it has an authenticity certificate you can inspect yourself for validity.

You knew it was coming. Whenever two or more gullible people gather they will get hit.

Working in IT for the past 14 years there are many days I pray to meet one of these knuckleheads face to face
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links