Advice on Italy?

This is a discussion on Advice on Italy? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So we are leaving a week from today. Don't envy me, it's for Mr. Bunny's work, not a vacation. But we've never been to Italy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Italy?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Advice on Italy?

So we are leaving a week from today. Don't envy me, it's for Mr. Bunny's work, not a vacation. But we've never been to Italy before, and it looks like we'll be there for 6 cities in 7 days, and then 2-3 days to tour on our own without any book-signing commitments or appearances scheduled.

Has anyone been? Any advice? Stuff to do and see? Stuff to avoid?

Here's the cities we will be at during Mr. Bunny's book tour:

1) Milan
    2) Florence
    3) Rome
    4) Terni
    5) Piza
    6) Naples

Thanks.

PS: No, not planning on bringing any firearms IN to the country, but I have an FFL lined up in case I find any I want to ship back home. That's all I need, right? Just a US FFL to take delivery?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    So we are leaving a week from today. Don't envy me, it's for Mr. Bunny's work, not a vacation. But we've never been to Italy before, and it looks like we'll be there for 6 cities in 7 days, and then 2-3 days to tour on our own without any book-signing commitments or appearances scheduled.

Has anyone been? Any advice? Stuff to do and see? Stuff to avoid?

Here's the cities we will be at during Mr. Bunny's book tour:

1) Milan
    2) Florence Museum which houses David by Michelangelo.
    3) Rome Go early in the morning to the vatican. Get in line and then go as fast as you can to the Sistine Chapel. You should have a half hour or more almost to yourself before the crowds kick in. Once it gets crowded, go back through the museums.
    4) Terni
    5) Piza
    6) Naples Pompeii. If you can, go to Positano. VERY romantic and beautiful. Can't wait to go back with Mrs. MiklColt45.

Thanks.

PS: No, not planning on bringing any firearms IN to the country, but I have an FFL lined up in case I find any I want to ship back home. That's all I need, right? Just a US FFL to take delivery?
    Italy is great. Have a ball.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; October 21st, 2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: add stuff
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Buy this book...........

Lonely Planet Italy Travel Guide

Should be available at larger bookstores.

Visit this website..............

Search results: italy - TripAdvisor

Mrs. GB and I do all our vacation research on this site. It's full of reviews from real people that were there as recently as a few days ago. Get reviews for hotels, restaurants, sights to see etc. Trust me on this!

Also watch out for pickpockets, usually children.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Dont eat anything that ends with an "i"
    Check out the marble and alibaster products great values if your into "girly"stuff like shopping.
    Wallets in front pocket,Italy has Olympic Gold in pickpocketing
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Too bad you are not going to the island/region of Sicily. Lots of beautiful sites there such as Taormina, Mt. Etna volcano, Agrigento, Siracusa etc. It is so much cheaper to travel there. Best food ever!

My mother and father were born there and I usually travel there every year. Be prepared to pay one hefty premiun when dining in the big cities of Milan and Rome. They will rake you over the coals. When I traveled, I ate in neighboring towns/villages. With respect to Rome, the major highlights were the Vatican and the Roman ruins e.g. Coliseum. In Milan, the Duomo cathedral and the last supper painting. While in Milan, I would suggest taking the train to a city North of Milan called Varese. Very beautiful. From Varese one can take a bus to Switzerland to Lugano. A lakeside city.

On a final note, with any large city, be very careful in Milan and Rome. Plenty of degenerates there. Be on guard and maintain situational awareness!

EW3
    One of my sisters got married in Florence 2 years ago, but I couldn't make it due to ANG duty.

They all did a wine tour there which everyone said was a lot of fun, that would be something to look into if you are a wine drinker.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    The only problem I had with Italy was that there were too many Italians. Otherwise it was very nice. Central Terminal in Rome is pretty confusing but I am sure being pretty will help to smooth out the bumpy spots. I didn't / don't have that blessing. ;)

All the restaurants always include gratuity so don't leave extra. Wine was very reasonable and many good bottles could be had for around $5 USD. Food and accommodation is rather pricey. The leggy mini skirt girls on Vespas in Rome rush hour traffic always made me cringe a little at the thought of a road-rash catastrophe. Stop at the Beretta factory in Brescia if you can. Have fun.

Lead Moderator
    If you love history you'll probably just drive yourself nuts, just not enough time to see it all.

Good luck, and have fun... Take lot's of pictures.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Spend more time in Florence.
    You'll see and know why when you're actually in Florence.

You need to check if the firearm is importable before purchase/shipping (i.e. no Glock 25/28). If memory serves me right, AD military stationed/deployed overseas used to have an exemption. Check with your FFL/BATFE for the legalese.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

As an avid coffee drinker, all I can say is hit as many cafes as you can and then tell me about them.

Have fun and take in the sights.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    If you want to bring any firearms back check out the BATF website:
    Types of Importers

Non-Licensed Resident of the U.S.

Any person residing in the U.S. who does not hold an FFL. A non-licensed resident of the U.S may obtain an approved ATF F 6 (Part I) import permit to import sporting ammunition for his or her own use but not for resale or other commercial purpose. However, a non-licensed resident of the U.S. may not obtain an approved ATF Form 6 import permit to import nonsporting ammunition or any firearm. Any non-licensee who desires to import a firearm into the U.S. must have the firearm imported on his or her behalf by a qualified FFL, and the subsequent transfer of the firearm to the non-licensee must be in compliance with Federal, State and local law.
    I never brought any firearms back myself but knew other crewmembers who did, no problem at all with the proper paperwork.
    Have a safe and fun trip as others have said much to see and do and watch out for the Sangria it will sneak up on you.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Bunny,

Florence (Firenze) and Rome (Roma) are probably the two most beautiful cities in Italy, in that order.

Make sure you take a digital camera you're used to along with at least 2-3 '2'or'4' Gig memory cards.

Enjoy the espressos, cappuccinos and espresso macchiatos(my favorite). Italy and Spain has the best coffee. If you're a coffee drinker you will miss it when you get back. Make sure you try a pizza in Naples(Napoli). My favorite is the 'Margarita'.
    Check out the 'CapoDiMonte' ceramic flowers and 'Florence' Sculpture d'Arte by Giuseppe Armani.

Get contact #'s of the American embassies and consulates in the cities you are visiting in case you need to contact them.

Have photocopies of your passports and any special docs you may have. You might also have someone back in the states have a copy of each doc also, just in case it might need to be faxed to you.

In over seven years living in Sicily, I can not remember once an LEO not being respectful to me. They are very serious but respectful. Just show respect to them and be polite. But the most important thing to know if you are going to drive, if you ever see LEO hold up a 'lollipop' sign, DO NOT drive by them. Be sure to stop.

Have a nice trip.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

the best thing you can do in any of the cities is fined a nice cafe and sit there and enjoy the best espresso while relaxing. although I did enjoy the catacombs in Rome a lot.
    PS the David is over rated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links