How did you come up with your Screen name.

This is a discussion on How did you come up with your Screen name. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mine goes back quite a ways now. In ancient history before the Internet there was the General Electric Network for Information Exchange (GEnie) which was ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How did you come up with your Screen name.

Mine goes back quite a ways now. In ancient history before the Internet there was the General Electric Network for Information Exchange (GEnie) which was basically a GIANT bulletin board system (BBS) and we were allowed to use a custom handle for a $10 fee. For some reason the name "Crashbox" appealed to me so I registered it. It is also a name I now commonly use elsewhere.

I have yet to completely figure out why it appeals to me but it probably stems from myself being out-of-sync with the rest of the world and clashing gears with others

2. Remove Ads

Being a drummer/musician/songwriter, I took mine from a '70's one-hit-wonder band named Jo Jo Gunne. They had a song called "Run".

I liked the sound of the name, dropped the "e" from the end and voila, JoJoGunn!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    WHEC724 is the designator of a ship that I was stationed on. 'Too many stories to tell from those days, and most are unbelievable anyway. I just keep 'em to myself now.

My avatar, well... 'Just a gun-toting toon. I'll switch to something better once I find it.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Mine is my Avatar <
    My best buddy Arko. He is named after the best dog I had prior to him, (retired patrol dog) and he came to me with a long German kennel name, which I shortened to Arko.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I stole it, but due to an ongoing competition (a shiny nickle is the prize) I won't divulge the source.

It's a play on Daddy Warbucks from Annie.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    golden shellback: it's a "crossing-the-line ceremony" and title.........

The ceremony of Crossing the Line is an initiation rite in the Royal Navy, U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, and other navies that commemorates a sailor's first crossing of the Equator. Originally, the tradition was created as a test for seasoned sailors to ensure their new shipmates were capable of handling long rough times at sea. Sailors who have already crossed the Equator are nicknamed (Trusty) Shellbacks, often referred to as Sons of Neptune; those who have not are nicknamed (Slimy) Pollywogs.
    Another rare status is the Golden shellback, a person who has crossed the Equator at the 180th meridian (International Date Line). When a ship must cross these lines, the ship's captain will usually intentionally plot a course across the Golden X so that the ship's crew can be initiated into the Golden Shellbacks (from wikipedia)

.........it was the most original thing I came up with when thinking about what 'handle' to use here.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Mine should be obvious...I'm in SW Tennessee and a big Vol fan.

The avatar, that's Mr. Cooper, our Maltese
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "QK" is for Quick Kill.
    Do a wikipedia or Google search for "Lucky McDaniel"
    Good reading.

Takes point shooting to higher level I guess... That's the way I practice anyway. When it comes to SD, the point and shoot is gonna work better than trying to acquire a sight pic, IMO anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    "Bunny" is my nickname in real life. (It's way easier to pronounce.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    "Bunny" is my nickname in real life. (It's way easier to pronounce.)
    OMG that avatar is a hoot.
    Great one Bunny!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

It's the reason I carry!
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The little kids in Vietnam would greet me each morning with voices that were as clear as bells. They would say, Mon yoi tiwee. The guys told me it meant, good morning birdpee. But I quick got hot on my language and learned it was, Good morning ensign.

The clear friendly voices of the children is a vivid memory. The night I joined this group, I had been a long time lurker. Something came up that I really, really wanted to comment about right then. In the rush to register, tiwee popped out.

I had shut tiwee out. He was some other guy. It is good tiwee is back. He did a pretty good job for a 22 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    The little kids in Vietnam would greet me each morning with voices that were as clear as bells. They would say, Mon yoi tiwee. The guys told me it meant, good morning birdpee. But I quick got hot on my language and learned it was, Good morning ensign.

The clear friendly voices of the children is a vivid memory. The night I joined this group, I had been a long time lurker. Something came up that I really, really wanted to comment about right then. In the rush to register, tiwee popped out.

I had shut tiwee out. He was some other guy. It is good tiwee is back. He did a pretty good job for a 22 year old.
    That's to funny
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

armado means "armed", like with a weapon, in Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post

Great read tiwee.

I knew there was some cool stories behind how some folks come up with their screen names...I'm glad you made it back man!

Thanks!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links