Need Help With Rifle Question

This is a discussion on Need Help With Rifle Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cousin bought an almost new weartherby 300 magnum from a close friend of his, and a scope from another friend. Both of these people are ...

Thread: Need Help With Rifle Question

Need Help With Rifle Question

Cousin bought an almost new weartherby 300 magnum from a close friend of his, and a scope from another friend. Both of these people are extremely trustworthy that he bought from. He had some rounds loaded for it through the local sporting goods store(they load hunting ammo for lots of hunters) with 150 gr. bullets. Cousin started at 50 yards and got it shooting hole for hole or real close. At 100 yards it's all over the place and he can't close it in. Any ideas about what may be wrong, i suspect the ammo, but I don't know that much.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

2. Remove Ads

Well, it could be some shooter error, problems with that tend to get worse with distance, but just 50 more meters isn't that much further. Do you know what kind of scope, and what range he zero'd it for?

How much bigger are the groups getting at 100m? I'd suggest putting it on a rest or some sandbags, and having a couple of different people shoot it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Be sure to check the scope rings/mounts and make sure they are still tight sometime it takes a couple of tightenings to make them to make them settle in and stay tight. It does not take much scope movement to really open up a nice group.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

rings are tight, honestly he's like a sniper...prob. the best rifle shooter I know, shooting from a sandbag and rest from a chair. Not sure how much bigger the group is getting at 100 yards. He's really ticked off right now. His dad told me about this, cousin is working right now.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Did you go back to 50 yds to see if the groups at that range are still tight at that distance?
    Flinching.
    Loose scope rings or mount.

Is it a good quality scope? Weatherby rifles are free bored. If his rifle is not free bored he will need to make sure the bullet ogive is not contacting rifling. Check by blacking out a bullet and chamber it. Then check for rifling marks on bullet. Also a 300 Weatherby travels at over 3300 fps, make sure barrel is clean and cool. They kick, check for flinching...it happens.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    It is very probable that it's the ammo. Try a different load with a heavier bullet. (180 grain)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Scope reticle is tilted. In other words.....the scope isn't square with the rifle. Most common problem I've seen in this instance.

Distinguished Member
    Replace the scope. 300 bee is a kicker, and will make a cheap scope cry uncle.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It is very probable that it's the ammo. Try a different load with a heavier bullet. (180 grain)
    Bullet weight can effect accuracy greatly, as can powder charge. The bullet is probably not stabilizing at longer distances.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks guys, I'll let him know this stuff. You all have given some great advice.

Scope is a Leopold variX3 something.

It's probably a messed up scope mount, crappy ammo, or your cousin's shoulder. The .300 is a kicker and will easily bruise a unprotected shoulder with about a dozen full power loads, and you'll start anticipating the recoil. The 150 grain bullet should be fine out to past 400 yards.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

well, nevermind...he carried the rifle back and got his money back.

Links