Movie Pet Peeves

This is a discussion on Movie Pet Peeves within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; -Air vents are HUGE. -Ridiculous Explosions -Main Character can get his face beat in, yet he barely bleeds. -Cars chasing airplanes on the runway for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Pet Peeves

-Air vents are HUGE.

-Ridiculous Explosions

-Main Character can get his face beat in, yet he barely bleeds.

-Cars chasing airplanes on the runway for WAY too long.

-Street Cops being portrayed as idiots.

-Ugly women
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    Poorly and incorrectly worn berets in movies:

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    -Air vents are HUGE.
    My dad, the 30+ year HVAC technician always laughs at the movies that portray people crawling through huge ducts. He told me even if they were big enough for a person, which they aren't, they could NOT support the weight!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    My dad, the 30+ year HVAC technician always laughs at the movies that portray people crawling through huge ducts. He told me even if they were big enough for a person, which they aren't, they could NOT support the weight!

And the screws would shred them....

25+ yrs in the Trade myself...

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Since there is a gun-related "pet peeves" thread, I thought I would start one for NON gun-related ones!

My first one - when someone sets off a fire sprinkler and the ALL go off. Fire sprinklers don't work that way.

What are yours?
    Sorry Random,not all sprinkler systems are that way.A dry system will activate the entire grid with only one head being heated or tripped.A wet system will only spray the area where each head is tripped to minimize water damage.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Any movie when Brad Pitt solves any problem...like that could happen!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Protagonists breaking a man's neck with a simple action, such as moving your arms rapidly in opposite directions while cradling a man's head.

Knockout punches with one punch...every time...and non-sucker ones at that.

Lasers sounding in outer space. Vacuum up there...no sound.

Instant DNA results (more TV than movies)

105 lb chicks that can beat up 220 lb dudes with no problem with some fancy bullshido moves.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Computer software is always entirely fake in movies or on TV. Typing is unnatural. Any computer can be hacked in 3 minutes.

Surveillance pictures of suspects are always zoomed and 'enhanced' way beyond what is possible.

In, old westerns, people die instantaneously after being shot from a revolver, but people in new action movies can't be killed with a machine gun or grenade.

I hate it when I recognize that a few lines of dialog (or an entire scene) were included for reasons other than telling the story, e.g. explaining a technical matter to a character for the audience's benefit.

I hate inaccurate or incongruent sound effects.

I pretty much hate anything that distracts me from the movie.

When the good guy/gal finally puts the bad guy down they drop the weapon. Inevitably the bad guy grabs them from behind and the struggle begins anew. If someone is trying to do me in and I get the chance to turn the tables on them I am not going to stop with one whack of a shovel to their head. They and the shovel will become "one."

Actors trying to be as badass as Clint Eastwood, but failing miserably.

Yes I'm talking about you, Chuck Norris.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Ever since starting my EMT-B class, I can't stand any medical stuff... a lot of bad CPR on tv. or using a medical term that has nothing to do with whats happening, and the famous shocking a flat line.... as we say in class "the only time you shock a flat line is when your on TV." or the patient not responding for 20 mins, then miraculously coming back to life because the nurse pounded on his chest and uttered the magical words "don't die on me"

I must also agree with the previously stated.. manual shifting of an auto... holding a gun to someone's head, THEN chambering a round... hammer cocking on a glock... a revolver that holds 30 rounds... the soccer mom van that can outrun cop cars, and take city turns doing 90+... dropping tons of bodies in a city without anyone noticing...
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

shooter with a Glock runs out of ammo, click, click, click.....

good guy is clearing a building with his handgun drawn and at the ready, then before he enters the last room THEN he racks the slide to chamber a round.

A lot of really minute Marine Corps things, like when they have uniform stuff wrong, or terminology wrong. I mean, Hollywood is like an hour from Camp Pendleton, they can't find a recently retired E-8 or E-9 to keep them on track?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    Ever since starting my EMT-B class, I can't stand any medical stuff... a lot of bad CPR on tv. or using a medical term that has nothing to do with whats happening, and the famous shocking a flat line.... as we say in class "the only time you shock a flat line is when your on TV." or the patient not responding for 20 mins, then miraculously coming back to life because the nurse pounded on his chest and uttered the magical words "don't die on me"
    Right on! As an EMT also, I get barbed looks from the wife by laughing during the most inappropriate times during those shows.

VIP Member
    I hate any movie where the effects are the star and the plot (if any) only gets in the way.

Good effects should compliment a movie, not overwhelm it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links