Don't tase me Bro!

Don't tase me Bro!

This is a discussion on Don't tase me Bro! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Law enforcement officers are instructed to shoot for a limb, thigh or belly.... "Taser International says the risk of an adverse cardiac event related to ...

Don't tase me Bro!

Law enforcement officers are instructed to shoot for a limb, thigh or belly....

"Taser International says the risk of an adverse cardiac event related to the weapon is extremely low, but that it's impossible to predict how a person will respond when a combination of drugs, underlying medical condition or a poor lifestyle are involved."

That's good to know... Being most individuals that would require such a method of control will most likely fall into one of those categories.

Sounds like some further research was in order before putting um on the streets for use as a none lethal alternative.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    It would seem to me that no matter where you shoot them, that electrical charge is going to reach the heart.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I've seen a couple of news feeds in the past where a guy was zapped multiple times in the lower body and belly. I recall one of the guys died as a result. I'd say you're probably right though. I kinda remember, one of the guys did have a medical condition too.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Well, it's to be used as a necessary stopping alternative to a bullet or multiple bullets.

Given the hindsight choice between "Tase or Toe-Tag" I'm best guessing that the bad guy would always choose the Less Than Lethal Taser.

Sounds like some further research was in order before putting um on the streets for use as a none lethal alternative.
    Reality is, stress causes some to check out. Anything that results in stress can set it off. Heck, being stopped and informed they're about to head to jail might well be enough. Hard to say. More research isn't needed in order to know that resistance of crime is a good thing. Likewise, it seems to me the documented testing that has been published over the years regarding these units strongly supports what's being stated in the article. In the end, nothing will be certain to save a "heart" case, or someone on the edge due to a life of drugs. I wouldn't think this means a given tool shouldn't be used pending further research.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The Taser is supposed to be an option instead of a gun. Unfortunately, some cases involving Tasers are in situations where a gun isn't warranted and therefore the Taser isn't warranted. An example is this 72 year old woman tasered during a traffic stop.

YouTube - Elderly woman Tasered

These is the training memo from Taser.

http://taser.com/legal/Documents/Tra...20Warnings.pdf
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Reality is, stress causes some to check out. Anything that results in stress can set it off. Heck, being stopped and informed they're about to head to jail might well be enough. Hard to say. More research isn't needed in order to know that resistance of crime is a good thing. Likewise, it seems to me the documented testing that has been published over the years regarding these units strongly supports what's being stated in the article. In the end, nothing will be certain to save a "heart" case, or someone on the edge due to a life of drugs. I wouldn't think this means a given tool shouldn't be used pending further research.
    Good points and I wouldn't disagree, but in the case I saw on the local news. The guy was arrested for a domestic problem with his wife or something like that, sorry I don't recall the details, but he had three officers on him and one holding the guys legs nailed him, I think it was four times with the taser. When officials ask the officer why so many times, he said, "cause he continued to struggle". Honestly, I'd say after the first one or two zaps, how could any of um actually tell the guy wasn't just reacting to the effects of the taser and not so much continuing to resist the officers attempts to subdue him.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not down on the LEO's or the use of what ever means necessary to handle the situation. It's the BGs problem for being there in the first place. As long as that never happens to anyone due to some kind of misunderstanding. And that never happens right?

IMO, a none lethal alternative means "None lethal" not just under certain circumstances and under certain conditions. Just sayin.

Senior Moderator
    I like the TASER.

You cant imagine how much of an impact just carrying one on your belt has.

It used to be that some of the more savy in and out Badguys knew exactly what they could get away with as far as pushing a cop to the limit, they knew that the cop wouldn't shoot them or use lethal force on them in a situation that didn't warrant it and you had better believe that they used it to their advantage.

The TASER has been around long enough that videos of people being tased on TV, YouTube or anywhere else on the Internet have been seen by just about everyone. People hitting the ground, yelling and screaming and flopping around on they ground like a head shot turkey is enough to convince some folks that they don't want any part of it.

The good thing is, that those that have been stupid enough to personally prove it don't want any part of it ever again.

In cases where people are being less than compliant, just placing the hand on the Taser is enough to get a wide eyed response that forces them to rethink their position.

We don't get to tase alot of people around here because the word is out. The taser is not really an option for lethal force, it is to be used before lethal force.

If you need to use lethal force, you should be using lethal force. The problem is that to arrest someone, the use of lethal force is not an option because lethal force is not warranted. Knowing this causes many people that knew they were going to jail would resist, causing injury to themselves or the arresting officer.

Now the standard is to use the Taser as a compliance tool. Meaning that many Dept's. would rather have you use the Taser first, rather than risk serious injury to the officer or the arrested person. For the smaller guys out there that encounter the big rough and burly biker type that likes to get drunk and fight, it is a serious force multiplier and it gives anyone, woman officers included, an actual chance to apprehend this type without bringing anyone to the ER, themselves included.

I think the Tazer is a great tool for law enforcement, but like any tool it must be applied properly to be successful and like any tool there is the potential for abuse.

One thing I take exception with though...
    Law enforcement officers are instructed to shoot for a limb, thigh or belly....
    No where have I seen this taught. Now the prevailing thought is if you have to use your gun, shoot to stop the threat. Shooting for a limb, thigh or belly is just as likely to be lethal as shooting center of mass. Shooting a leg or thigh on someone moving rapidly is not so easy to do in real life.

The "shoot to wound" train of thought went out decades ago. At least in this part of the country it has.
    Cant say for anywhere else.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    One thing I take exception with though...

No where have I seen this taught. Now the prevailing thought is if you have to use your gun, shoot to stop the threat. Shooting for a limb, thigh or belly is just as likely to be lethal as shooting center of mass. Shooting a leg or thigh on someone moving rapidly is not so easy to do in real life.

The "shoot to wound" train of thought went out decades ago. At least in this part of the country it has.
    Cant say for anywhere else.

I'm sorry HGS, I wasn't clear with my statement. If I'm interpreting your area of concern correctly.

The report I was referring to stated that the officers should aim with the Taser to one of these areas, not with their duty pistols.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Taser is not used in place of a gun. If an officer is in a situation where he needs his firearm, he's not supposed to use a Taser. Tasers are used to avoid fights where subjects and officers are more likely to be injured.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Taser is not used in place of a gun. If an officer is in a situation where he needs his firearm, he's not supposed to use a Taser. Tasers are used to avoid fights where subjects and officers are more likely to be injured.
    This is from Taser:

TASER devices use proprietary technology to incapacitate dangerous, combative or high-risk subjects who pose a risk to law enforcement officers, innocent citizens or themselves in a manner that is generally recognized as a safer alternative to other uses of force.
    My interpretation of "other uses of force" means guns.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

A little off subject, but has anyone saw the training video where LEO trainee was shot in the crotch. I wonder if that appendage qualifies.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    My interpretation of "other uses of force" means guns.
    Those "uses of force" would be hands on, OC, and maybe a baton. Deadly force is a different deal.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I'm sorry HGS, I wasn't clear with my statement. If I'm interpreting your area of concern correctly.

The report I was referring to stated that the officers should aim with the Taser to one of these areas, not with their duty pistols
    Gotcha.

The ideal spot to place the probes is actually in the back.
    Of course, in a fight, one takes whatever he can get.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links