Gas Prices and what we can realistically do

This is a discussion on Gas Prices and what we can realistically do within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.gasbuddy.com/ Please see my post under thread "went for an oil change" Pass this info on and let's make our displeasure not only known but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices and what we can realistically do

Gas Prices and what we can realistically do

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Please see my post under thread "went for an oil change"
    Pass this info on and let's make our displeasure not only known but felt by the profiteers and price gougers.

George

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Didn't know about this, thanks. Looks like there are a couple of stations near me that have a .20 difference. Stuff like that is useful to know.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

DC Founder
    There are absolutely price gougers out there, but remember who makes most profit from a gallon of gas than anyone else when Congress starts trying to do something (anything) to the gas companies, the federal government, followed closely behind by most states. I would suggest a call to your representatives....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The best way I've found to save gas is not to take unnecessary trips. Don't use the truck when the car (which gets twice the mileage) will do.
    When I do have to make a trip in the truck I plan my route and stops to save fuel.

My 1st new car was a 1965 Impala SS, 327,4 sp, no air, (how I miss it). $3133 out the door. Price a new Impala/ Monte Carlo today. $32000 out the door with the V-8. Gas in those days was about 30 cents per gal. Today, pushing $3.00. A tank of gas then cost me a larger percentage of my income than it does today. Be thankful you are living in the USA, Europeans are paying close to $2.00/ liter.

Voting out all the liberals who constantly fight drilling in anwar is a great start.

That, and I am looking at some fuel efficient cars.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Check the Toyota Prius. My wife and I both have them and love them, getting about 58 mpg

I get 20mpg with my Blazer and I get 60-65mpg with my motorcyle. Care to guess which I am using this spring/summer/fall?

If I spent the same $$ on gas for one tank of gas for my truck on my motorcycle, I would get about 350 miles on my truck and about 1019 miles on my cycle with that same amount of money. I wish I lived in AZ or NM where I could ride year round. I'd sell my truck and get a beater 4cyl car (or better yet the VW Jetta diesel) to drive when it rains or is too windy.

You really can't do much. Bend over and take it. Buy a motorcycle, more efficient car. Or buy a diesel and make your own biodiesel.

I am going to do that when I get my cop job. Keep my Blazer for a winter beater and buy my VW Jetta diesel (52mpg). A biodiesel fuel maker system is $4K and will cost me 70-90 CENTS a gallon to make. The system makes 42 gallons in a 24hr period and only requires 1 hour of operator hands on time. All is needed is used cooking oil (Asian restaurants, McD's, Burger King, KFC), lye, and methonal.

Diesel engines were designed to run on vegie oil, not petroleum diesel. This is where the oil companies screw you dry by selling you something your vehicle isn't designed for.

Same thing with the octane rating. You wouldn't believe the number of morons who run premium in their cars when they don't have to, claiming they get all this cool stuff. Does your engine knock or ping when you run 87 octane? No. Then use 87 octane. This is what the octane rating is for. It doesnt' burn any cleaner or contain any wonder chemicals. I used to educate them on the octane rating and now I just shake my head and hope they don't breed.

With Bush and Cheney in office, they are laughing all the way to the bank. Their oil buddies are laughing at us too. They will wait until it gets way out of hand to where there is a severe drop in sales due to people not being able to afford it. Then and only then will the government do something about it. Watch gas get to $7-8 a gallon and then they will step in, unless someone is elected that doesnt' have oil interest or investments (hopefully not Clinton).
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

$3.17 a gallon ghez!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I hate to say this, but if you want to lower prices on gasoline, you have to lower demand for oil INTERNATIONALLY, which is not going to happen, as China and India both are expanding their economies and using more oil, AND increase supply by drilling for oil here in the USA, like in the Gulf of Mexico, or the Atlantic coast of Florida, or ANWAR or some other place the Eco-idiots tell us are too fragile to allow drilling. We could convert our coal to oil - the Nazi's had a process that worked in WWII, surely we can do better than they did 60 years ago. Of course that will mean more coal mining, and all that entails.

Bush and Cheney can't do all that much to help the oil companies, really. The President and VP can't do much unless the Congress decides to act. Seen any bills on energy hitting the President's desk lately? And most of the oil companies were not the Bush's friends, but their competitors.

By the by, diesel fuel, whether bio or petro based, will gel in cold weather unless you put in additives (alcohol, I think?), and those only work down to a certain temperature. Which you will get down to in the Midwest. This I know because my wife (then girlfriend) had a Diesel VW Jetta in Northern Illinois.

Im soon going to sell my 95 GMC Jimmy, and buy one of thoughs little moped/scooter things. They get around 80 mi pr gallon, and are a simple 2 stroke engine that I can repair myself.
    If I need to travel out of town, I can easly find a ride. There are no hills and driving 45mph in the winter isnt so bad around these parts. These things are driven by alot of people around here, not just females and guys that are "funny"... if ya catch my drift.

I could start my own little biker gang of geeks. Then ride to Datona for bike week, and chalenge the Hells Angles to a debate! Or I might just buy a real bike.

Lead Moderator
    Well, one idea might be stop giving the ex-heads of the oil companies those retirement packages that would support a small town of "normal" people for life!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

And yes, it's a TOTAL cooincidence that with the aftertmath of Katrina (and the rpae at the gas pumps), EXXON posts it's larget quaterly profit in it's history...

I remember watching a press conference where that fat trple-chinned CEO was trying to justify it.

Just helps to prove a point.
    Use gasbuddy.com. When stations start to lose or gain market share due to price variations then not only will their competitors see that reflected in their profits but if for example, Getty were the lowest price overall acroos the nation then they would be rewarded with higher sales volume and good PR while the higher priced say Exxon for example would suffer poor PR (word of mouth) and declining sales.
    Who knows? Maybe one of the media outlets might pick up on this "grass roots?" movement and spread the information further.

Pennies can add up to alot of money guys and gals. My personal opinion is let's do what we can to let the gougers and BO know how we feel.

It takes just a few minutes a day to save money for yourself, your family and friends and to make our "pennies" add up to something that might matter.

If you've got the bucks, the Toyota hybrids are among the best out there. The Prius, Highlander, and now the Camry. In Japan, the Sienna is also available as a hybrid, but they haven't started offering it in the U.S., yet.

Or, get yourself an inexpensive diesel that is in reasonable shape, and convert it over to recycled vegetable oil. The conversion kits are not very expensive and the engines run well - your exhaust just smells like a fast food joint. Plus, you can sometimes arrange to get your used vegetable oil from restaurants for free. They need to get rid of it, and you can use it.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links