Is your vehicle a survival tool ? any mods to help?

This is a discussion on Is your vehicle a survival tool ? any mods to help? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Most of out time away from the safety of our home is spent in or nearby our vehicle. In a shtf scenario how would you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your vehicle a survival tool ? any mods to help?

Most of out time away from the safety of our home is spent in or nearby our vehicle.
    In a shtf scenario how would you grade yours as a tool used to protect you or get you back home.
    Mine:
    4x4
    CB
    90 gal fuel cell
    aux lighting
    3000 watt inverter
    reinforced bumpers (front and back)
    There will be a winch in the near future (they are high)
    Box full of tools
    small b.o.b.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sure...my truck is a survival tool. I could live in it for a few days if I had to, and get most places I'd need to. 6500lbs and 4x4. Sometimes I wish I had bought a toolbox with the extra gas tank underneath.

kpw
    You guys forgot the armor plate.
    My 4 Runner has survived 120k miles without breaking down. Just broken in really. That's the car I'd take if I had to get somewhere, no matter what.
    My urban survival vehicle is the Town & Country. It's got heated seats to keep my butt warm!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Something I realized more recently is that I'm much more comfortable using my old beat up 4runner as a bug out vehicle than a big truck. I used to drive a big jacked up Dodge (Suspension lift, 38" tires, custom heavy duty pumpkin, etc...). The problem is though, that if you have to hit any real trails or offroad all together, those big long trucks are NOT ideal. They tend to get stuck in the center of the frame going over small hills and divots. They don't fit width wise through any jeep trails. They're just too big.

My little 4 runner will fit just about anywhere.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yep. A 4X4 Suburban, boxes of emergency gear, some weapons and ammo, all hidden away. Always ready to roll. Also has bun warmers. :)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Something I realized more recently is that I'm much more comfortable using my old beat up 4runner as a bug out vehicle than a big truck. I used to drive a big jacked up Dodge (Suspension lift, 38" tires, custom heavy duty pumpkin, etc...). The problem is though, that if you have to hit any real trails or offroad all together, those big long trucks are NOT ideal. They tend to get stuck in the center of the frame going over small hills and divots. They don't fit width wise through any jeep trails. They're just too big.

My little 4 runner will fit just about anywhere.
    Yep.......light weight does have it's advantages, but when it comes down to being stuck, it can't pull it's own weight. Rice doesn't do well in cold climates.

In the hands of my daughter I consider it a weapon.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Most of out time away from the safety of our home is spent in or nearby our vehicle.
    In a shtf scenario how would you grade yours as a tool used to protect you or get you back home.
    Mine:
    4x4
    CB
    90 gal fuel cell
    aux lighting
    3000 watt inverter
    reinforced bumpers (front and back)
    There will be a winch in the near future (they are high)
    Box full of tools
    small b.o.b.
    Isn't that a 6X6?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    In the hands of my daughter I consider it a weapon.

Dodge Ram four wheel drive and loaded with tools. I've had five Dodge trucks and none have failed me yet. Just by where I live they have gotten me through some rough stuff already.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I just got a 2008 Toyota 4Runner for that specific purpose.

I went with the Toyota because the their reputation for durability and longevity. They also build a pretty good 4wd unit. My son-in-law used to race for Toyota in the Sahara Desert on those cross country desert races for 4 years. He raced in a 4Runner.

Mine has 3 skid plates. One under the engine, fuel tank and tranny so that should help if going off road.

I haven't had a chance to modify it yet, but I do have a 1000 watt power inverter. I'd like to get a larger one eventually. I have storage totes for my bug out gear and also have (4) five gal. jerry cans I can lash up top so I can double my fuel capacity.

I have several water purification devices including the MSR Miox and Sawyer 4 liter Purifier to purify fresh water in large quantities. I have capacity to purify 1 million gallons so I don't take up space by lugging around a lot of clean water in jugs or barrels.

I do have (3) thirty three gallon water drums I keep filled at home and use water stabilizer (5 year storage without rotation) to keep at home for home emergencies. Because of weight, I would probably empty one and just lash the empty barrel on top of truck and fill when I get to a bivouac site or to barter away if needed.

Eventually, I do want to modify the 4Runner a little but I don't plan on going overboard with that. I do want to get a decent off road adventure trailer for it which will help extend the range, options and load capacity. The decent ones I'm looking at are in the $5,000-$8,000 range, so I'll probably have to teach another EMT class to get the money for one of those!

Sorry I haven't taken any personal pictures of it yet, but this is a dealer photo of mine they had on their website before I bought it.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've got the heavy chevy:

And a Jeep Wrangler:

The chevy is pretty capable offroad, and the jeep is just about unstoppable through any terrain. I've got extra fuel for both, tools are always kept on board, full size spare tire, a few days worth of MRE's, full first aid kits, fire extinguishers, and survival kits.

If TSHTF, I would take the jeep. A lot less electronics to worry about, no Onstar GPS tracking me, more capable, easier to repair/find parts for. I'd be comfortable with either though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Jeeps all the way. Mine is the one on the left

If need be, it will take me anywhere and can haul a fair amount of cargo as well.

The last pic was while trying to pull my backhoe out while doing some ditch work!

When you got the back hoe out...you then had to use it to dig out your truck.lol
    nice ride
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    I like the full size pickups, but I can never bring myself to plunk down the cash to buy one; I just cant justify the need vs. expense.
    Me, I like my Cherokee. It hauls me and whatever I what wherever. I've kept mine for several years, and it still looks and drives like new.

For survival, nothing is more important that armoring up the undercarriage and a good set of tires. Keep the tank at least 1/2 full and everything else maintained.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links