Gun store posters

This is a discussion on Gun store posters within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BTW -- you might want to check out the comments. I rather liked I see the Union of the Perpetually Offended had a chapter in ...

Thread: Gun store posters

VIP Member

Gun store posters

BTW -- you might want to check out the comments.

I rather liked

I see the Union of the Perpetually Offended had a chapter in Nashville.

Some people really need to get a life.
    and

You folks are so stupid. The gun shop owner could have never afforded the advertising and press coverage he received over this issue. Egg on your face? The yolks on you.

Gun store posters take flak - News |

Gun store posters take flak

By Geoffrey Cooper
    Rocky Mount Telegram

Tuesday, October 20, 2009
    NASHVILLE — For more than a week, a local gun shop owner has been under scrutiny regarding certain advertisements outside his front door.

Nashville Guns owner Dennis Nielsen has been met with the watchful eyes of a few county officials and town residents for the storefront posters of women holding guns. Facing two documented complaints, Nielsen maintains that he has done nothing wrong and runs a clean business.

Facing the Washington Street sidewalks are two posters inside of Nielsen’s gun shop windows. The first poster shows a model with blond-streaked hair in a black dress holding an AR-15 rifle, with the second picture of the same model holding a .357 magnum pistol. Inside his shop, similar posters are attached to the walls, showing the same model holding different weapons.

“It would be one thing if there were 100 resident complaints, but that isn’t the case,” Nielsen said. “But still, that’s enough for the county to have a gross overreaction. It’s uncalled for personally.”

This is not the first time Nielsen has disagreed with the county. He filed a lawsuit against the county in 2005 because copy costs the county was charging for public records did not comply with state law. The county settled the suit out of court.

Nielsen began a lease agreement with Nash County in August to rent the property until September 2010. He opened the gun shop on Washington Street in mid-September.

While the store features other male-oriented themes, Nielsen said the overall design concept, including the posters, was devised by his wife and two daughters. He said the posters were not meant to disrupt personal beliefs, but to attract customers.

“When you have to sell a Corvette, do you think they are going to use a 50-year-old guy?” Nielsen asked. “I want to be sure I’m not insensitive to family values, but I got a business to run. I’m open to criticism if residents have it.”

Since the complaints started, Nielsen said he has sought opinions from other merchants. When asked about the tastefulness of Nielsen’s posters, many downtown merchants said either they were oblivious to them or did not have an opinion.

Nielsen said he began to hear the first batch of poster complaints on Oct. 9 from a Nashville resident, who first visited town officials to discuss the posters’ content. But town officials verified Nielsen was in compliance with all zoning and sign ordinance laws and requirements for Nashville.

Later that day, Nielsen said the resident contacted Nash County Manager Bob Murphy to express her discomfort with the advertisement. Within a few minutes of the complaint, Nielsen said Murphy and Assistant County Manager Wayne Moore appeared at his shop, asking him to cooperate and remove the posters – but Nielson refused.

Murphy told Nielsen a resident was bothered by the idea of a woman brandishing a gun.

In a phone interview, Murphy said he reminded Nielsen during their conversation that he rents from the county and did not want his actions to become a nuisance to the public. He also said Nielsen’s decision will not affect his chances of a lease renewal.

Another Nashville resident said she feels Nielsen’s business does not belong downtown because it does not coincide with the town’s renovation efforts and would taint its overall image.

“I don’t believe it’s appropriate, and it’s not an image that downtown Nashville should be portraying,” said Dawn White, a Nashville resident.

In an Oct. 12 email sent to Commissioner Danny Tyson, White stated that “... the gun shop and the bar in the downtown area are black eyes for the quaintness of the downtown area,” and that it should not belong downtown, regardless if the posters are up or not.

“Sure, the right to bear arms is an individual choice,” White said. “But that’s not a choice I’m willing to agree with.”

Nash County Board of Commissioners Chairman Robbie Davis said he was contacted about the situation during the weekend of Murphy’s visit. Eventually, Davis said, no provisions could be found in Nielsen’s lease that could prevent him from placing that type of advertisement up – and that the county is dropping the matter altogether.

“It’s strictly a request, and that’s as far as we are going to take it,” Davis said.

After looking at the posters, Davis said he was not personally offended but could understand why some residents would be put off by it.

“Anytime (commissioners) get a complaint of any kind, we want to see if there is any truth to it,” Davis said. “But there’s nothing more we will do at this point in time.”
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    She was even fully clothed...long pants, no midriff showing...

“Sure, the right to bear arms is an individual choice,” White said. “But that’s not a choice I’m willing to agree with.”
    What the heck is this supposed to mean? You don't get to agree or disagree with other people's choices. You only get to make your own choice. And the right to bear arms isn't the choice, it's a fact. Exercising it is a choice.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

“I don’t believe it’s appropriate, and it’s not an image that downtown Nashville should be portraying,” said Dawn White, a Nashville resident.

In an Oct. 12 email sent to Commissioner Danny Tyson, White stated that “... the gun shop and the bar in the downtown area are black eyes for the quaintness of the downtown area,” and that it should not belong downtown, regardless if the posters are up or not.

Its not a choice, its a right that men have fought and died in order to protect, for a couple hundred years. What Utopian Image does this woman want for her down town area? Some people like to drink beer, and citizens legally buy firearms in stores, not out of a car trunk in an alley.

I'll go ahead and be the first one to through one of these up about the posters
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

-Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

I'll go ahead and be the first one to through one of these up about the posters

Thanks C9H13NO3!

I got wrapped around the axle trying to attach them to the OP.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

That's horrible she should be wearing a burka,or at least a moo moo to hide her figure (sarcasm)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I can tell you from looking at the pics that I really am offended.......

She is not near close to having the proper grip, nor stance to fire either of those weapons!!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Thanks for that C9H13N03, guess I shoulda not been lazy and clicked the link myself.

Yeah, I see nothing offensive about the pictures. If a photography shop was set up in the space instead, and had pictures of the same female, even wearing the same clothing, without a firearm, do you think anyone would complain?

I'm sure Nashville has some Civil War monuments somewhere within the city, maybe even downtown. I bet they might even have a statue of a soldier with a rifle, if so, does that need to be disarmed too?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    I can tell you from looking at the pics that I really am offended.......

She is not near close to having the proper grip, nor stance to fire either of those weapons!!
    nice
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ah, this story makes my head want to explode. Overt sexism and prejudice from a citizen, supported by elected officials. Does this qualify as a 'color of authority' violation? Good thing the citizen is not uncomfortable with minorities...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Good thing those so easily offended in that community haven't seen a copy of Dillon's Blue Press.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The complaintants are so concerned about the image presented by some posters. They should be more interested in the crime rates of their city. Nashville Crime Statistics (TN) - CityRating.com

This is the same stats where I live. Jackson Crime Statistics (MO) - CityRating.com
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Gotta love free publicity.

I've never heard of this place, but I think I'll go check it out and quite possibly buy something (anything) from him to help show my support. I'm sorry, but I just don't see anything wrong with those posters. It's not like she's wearing a bikini or topless in any of them. She's just an attractive woman in a rather modest (for a model anyway) dress holding firearms. I don't see anything wrong with them at all.

Edit - I assumed this was Nashville, TN, but after reading the article again I could see that it wasn't. Oh well, I'd still buy something from him to show my support if it was an option.
    Last edited by Katana; October 27th, 2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Links