Dont always listen to the GPS

This is a discussion on Dont always listen to the GPS within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here are the latest episodes of drivers who relied on their GPS for navigating with disastrous results: >Grand Canyon NV. A group of 16 adults ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont always listen to the GPS

Dont always listen to the GPS

Here are the latest episodes of drivers who relied on their GPS for navigating with disastrous results:

>Grand Canyon NV. A group of 16 adults and 10 children in several cars were dutifully following their satellite navigation system when they screeched to a halt as the road ended. They got out and found they were close to the edge of the canyon, lost in the wilderness. It had gotten dark and they decided to make camp until the next day, when they were able to call on their cellphone for help to find their way back to the highway.

>King's Lynn, England. A driver of a Streamline taxi minibus was obediently following the route instructions that were being issued by his satellite navigation system. The route he followed caused him to drive the bus right into the River Nar.

>Seattle, WA. While driving his charter bus, Brad Adams, 52, was so busy looking at his GPS navigation system that he crashed the bus into a pedestrian bridge in Seattle's Washington Park Arboretum. The bus is 11 feet, 8 inches high, the bridge, 9 feet. The passengers, 24 high school softball players, were taken to a nearby hospital.

>Skegness, England. A truck driver was transporting 32 tons of freight from Turkey through several European countries with Coral Road in Gibraltar, at the southern tip of Spain as his destination. By following his satellite navigation system he wound up at a dead end in Skegness, England, missing his destination by 1,600 miles. It just so happens that both places have a "Coral Road."

2. Remove Ads

One of the interstates bisects our downtown and it is fun to watch people pay more attention to their gps units instead of the BIG green signs our tax dollars paid for. Inevitably some out of state drivers will miss the obvious exits and proceed to the next one to turn around. Seen it happen several times. Lemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    One of the interstates bisects our downtown and it is fun to watch people pay more attention to their gps units instead of the BIG green signs our tax dollars paid for. Inevitably some out of state drivers will miss the obvious exits and proceed to the next one to turn around. Seen it happen several times. Lemmings.
    ROFL....
    That was a good game btw!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Anybody stupid enough to follow a GPS and drive into a river or head into another country shouldn't be trusted to raise small children even if they came with instructions
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have a great excuse if my GPS takes me into dangerous territory. I changed the voice setting to female, this way if I get lost, I can blame her.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I have a great excuse if my GPS takes me into dangerous territory. I changed the voice setting to female, this way if I get lost, I can blame her.
    HA!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    >Skegness, England. A truck driver was transporting 32 tons of freight from Turkey through several European countries with Coral Road in Gibraltar, at the southern tip of Spain as his destination. By following his satellite navigation system he wound up at a dead end in Skegness, England, missing his destination by 1,600 miles. It just so happens that both places have a "Coral Road."
    If I hadn't personally witnessed how stupid some people can be, I would be certain this was made up. As it is, I'm still hard pressed to accept it as true - but knowing people, I can believe it. In order to do this, the driver would have had to cross the English Channel!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I gave a buddy my address when I was living in southern Fort Worth...he inputted it, but was too lazy to put in the city. He drove to Denton, north of Dallas. About an hour out of the way on a good day.

A GPS is like a map and compass...it's a useful tool, if you know how to use it...
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Yep, about 2 weeks ago I had a similar incident following gps directions. I ended up in a residential area in my 18 wheeler, about 10 miles away from my actual destination. Needless to say, I had a fun time getting my rig out of there.

Since then, I'll use it for city to city navigation, but I always call the customers for their directions once I'm in their town. Same thing I had to do before GPS anyway.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Yep, about 2 weeks ago I had a similar incident following gps directions. I ended up in a residential area in my 18 wheeler, about 10 miles away from my actual destination. Needless to say, I had a fun time getting my rig out of there.

Since then, I'll use it for city to city navigation, but I always call the customers for their directions once I'm in their town. Same thing I had to do before GPS anyway.

Been there, done that, with the boss in the sleeper. He decided to come see how we did things. I got his permission before backing the trailer into the ditch and nearly into the woods to get the tractor around. It was that or plow down the road ending sign to get turned. Who puts a new interstate in the middle of the country anyway? hehehe

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    In our county this year, a visitor from overseas followed his GPS into a flooded valley. His car was washed from the road, but he was rescued. His comment quoted in the paper, "I thought there was something wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    A GPS is like a map and compass...it's a useful tool, if you know how to use it...
    I'll stick with a map & compass. I prefer to do my thinking for myself.

Seems that a lot of people have names for their GPS--Gloria, Gertrude, etc and some that would violate forum rules. My friend named his Hope (for Hope it gets you there).

VIP Member
    While my GPS has never led me into situations as cited it has taken me through some parts of towns I would rather have gone through, as C9H13NO3 has said a very useful tool but does not replace common sense.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Mine has tried to kill me a few times. It doesn't seem to understand that one-way roads exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links