Begging for help - Page 2

Begging for help

This is a discussion on Begging for help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We have been EXCEPTIONALLY lucky to get some services for very cheap, due to knowing people in the right places. (photgrapher, DJ, cake maker, etc.) ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We have been EXCEPTIONALLY lucky to get some services for very cheap, due to knowing people in the right places. (photgrapher, DJ, cake maker, etc.) Have been able to get all of it at half or better off the going rate, but our budget is so small for everything we have to buy that it is just not enough. I was hoping to find somebody who knew somebody in the business, and could maybe sell something at wholesale, or a very reduced profit. It's hard in this economy, but you can only be told no.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Good luck...... stranger things have happened....... and there are a alot of resources on this forum!!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

if you know any GIs that are stationed in or know someone that is stationed in Korea those guys probably made the original and if not can duplicate most anything you can show them a catalog photo of. They will give the person in Korea the measurement locations required and they can make a pretty darned good replica from that.

Any of you AD guys that are in or know someone in the USFK jump in.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

She has looked at some sites that sell replicas, they are substantially less, by like 60%. When you call and Asian lady is on the Voice mail. My bride to be has been burned on another internet transaction with an asian based firm and does not wanna risk it with her one and only wedding gown.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Weddings are great but remember that you have the rest of your life to live afterward. Maybe you could find another dress you like for less money. $900+ is allot of money to spend on a dress that will only be worn for half a day.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    "My mom and dad are taking money out of the 401k to give me this budget to work with."

With the huge "HIT" that 401Ks took...I sure can't fault parents for budgeting weddings these days.

We are VERY thankful for what money they are giving us. We know what a big thing it is for them to give us money for a wedding and are extremely lucky. We also do not mind a budget...we both are very simple people with very simple tastes. She however, has found the 'dream dress' and I simply want to make it a reality for her AND stay within the budget...hence my original post of seeing if someone could help us with a deal. Even going simple, the barebones necessities you HAVE to have just aren't as cheap as they think they are or as cheap as when they helped her brother with a wedding several years ago.

It is expensive these days I hear. Some friends of ours recently married. Her parents gave her some money for a wedding, as well as his parents. They started shopping for wedding stuff and upon seeing the expense they made a somewhat radical decision. They got married at a friends house with no frills, and used the wedding money as a down payment on their first house. Their parents were thrilled with their decision. the bride said this: The wedding isn't what makes the marriage special it's the love. I'll remember our wedding for the rest of our lives, but I'd think about the money we spent on it everyday.

This isn't a suggestion for you, just sharing.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

If I may....... since this is a wedding thread...... my lovely wife and I!!
    I would of done it naked!
    but she insisted on clothes........
    Attached Images
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Administrator
    Suggestion:
    Ask folks that you know are camera buffs to bring their cameras to your wedding even if you are hiring a pro photographer.

No matter how great a professional photographer is...he/she can't be in more than one place at one time.

Often other folks, friends, & relatives just catch those really rare, more casual, and less formal photographic moments that turn out to be really priceless later on.

QKShooter is spot on...many weddings & other events that I've attended in recent years all had disposable cameras on the reception tables for folks to use and place in a basket on the way out. Interestingly enough some folks took the cameras home and developed the film themselves and forwarded the prints to the lucky couple which was in and of itself a nice unexpected present.

Keep looking and use a spreadsheet to keep track of the details and notes about who is doing what for how much and by when do the lucky couple have to make various decisions, payments etc. Most weddings have a million details to deal with. +1 on the local fashion college / school idea.

My brother paid about $300 for material when he was in college and wound up with an EXCELLENT custom fitted handmade 3 piece suit. His cost was the material + a good pair of shoes, belt & tie to go with the suit when his student seamstresses had him model it for their grade.

He was out of pocket for the material and about two days of time spread out over the various fittings and modeling.

Good luck and best wishes to you both.

Well she had a phone conversation, with her mother...she is very impressed with how much effort and research my bride to be has done to stay in budget and buy things on the cheap. Her family is going to buy the food for the reception, and not factor it in to the budget. Her aunt, who has no children, has offered to help her on the expenses of the dress, bringing our investment in it down greatly and possibly more in reach. Still am not against a better deal if there is one to be had...

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I don't know anyhing about the fashion world but sent a PM on money saving tips my wife and I used in 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Suggestion:
    Ask folks that you know are camera buffs to bring their cameras to your wedding even if you are hiring a pro photographer.

No matter how great a professional photographer is...he/she can't be in more than one place at one time.

Often other folks, friends, & relatives just catch those really rare, more casual, and less formal photographic moments that turn out to be really priceless later on.
    We had a photographer and bought a LOAD of disposable cameras for our wedding and got a lot of great shots from the guests. I bet we would have gotten a lot more if everybody had turned the camera in, many never made it back to us.

Looking back though many of the guest may not have known that they were supposed to take candid shots and give the camera back so make it very clear to your guests if you go that route.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Ebay is a big winner! Read the feedback for all of the sellers you are interested in. Look for a lot of positive scores. Focus on a dress that laces up the back, with a modesty panel, so that the exact measurements are not as critical. Like this:

Here's an e-mail address for a tailor in China: <weihuaxyz168@yahoo.com.cn> This address may or may not be in use now. They change their names and e-mail addresses frequently. This one made a gorgeous Sottero for 10% of new.

Most of the Chinese are indistinguishable from an original, and if you measure carefully, they'll fit beautifully! They may, however, have been shut out of Ebay due to Copyright matters.

Look at "ZAMY23" on Ebay too - about 35-40% of new original.......From Brooklyn NY

Also consider a Mon-Thurs wedding - venues need business on Mondays thru Thursdays, so they'll discount their fees, as will all of the vendors and suppliers. Fri-Sat-Sun are more expensive due to popularity.

Do not tell vendors or suppliers (cakes, floral, food, supplies, tables, venues, music, etc.) it is a wedding until after the fee quotes! Do not do not do not! Weddings get marked up a lot - Tell them it is a private party! It is a private party, so you are not lying. Just do not tell them it is a wedding!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links