Begging for help

This is a discussion on Begging for help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As I have posted here on previous occasions, I am getting married to the love of my life (tdwood) on June 5, 2010. She has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Begging for help

Exclamation Begging for help

As I have posted here on previous occasions, I am getting married to the love of my life (tdwood) on June 5, 2010. She has been gown shopping, and has found what she believes to be "the ONE". I am but a lowly civil servant, and she is a nursing student, so cash is at a premium. It is however, $950, the cheapest she has found it. We are working on an extremely tight budget, and try as she may she has not been able to find any other that are comparable at a more reasonable cost. I know our membership is as diverse in walks of life, as can be expected with more joining everyday. She is wanting a dress by Maggie Sottero. If there is anybody who works in this field or knows a guy who knows a guy, or anything Please PM me. I want to help my lady feel like a princess when she becomes my queen, I will be forever in debt. I am not looking for a handout ...just somebody to help her get a better deal. I am coming hat in hand.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I have a suggestion -- does she know any seamstresses or master tailors? My mentor was a master tailor. She was able to duplicate ANYTHING she saw in a magazine. There might be a design school near you, those students can be incredibly creative and talented.

Just a thought. But I hope she gets her authentic Maggie Sottero.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Administrator
    Go To Ebay - Search all of Ebay for "Maggie Sottero" - there are 202 hits for that search.

Some are LOTS less than $950.00

Like this one that is ending in 16 minutes NO RESERVE - your choice between 2 new gowns and the bidding right now is $89.00
    Maggie Sottero GOWNS! NO RESERVE!! New with tags! - eBay (item 110448113796 end time Oct-27-09 11:50:18 PDT)

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Bunny and QKS , You are part of the reasons why this is such a great board.

VIP Member
    Wish I could help...but I know ZIP about fashion. Plus me & the wife eloped to Vegas & got married!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

QKS,

OP's fiance here. I have searched ebay, but they don't have the specific model i'm looking for. Any other trustworthy sites that sell dresses?
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

how short are you from having all the funds for the dress you want?
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

It's only just begun my friend...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

J & TD........ just got married in July........... and if I may offer a friendly..... :)

Search the Internet in all available terms...... My wife had an idea of the style, and I know your kinda set on the name and style you have picked, but she went and searched for a "style" that made her happy, then she went and tried them on. Well she did find the dress she loved, could she have found a better one for more money? Maybe. Hers ended up at about $240.
    What I told her when she was looking was, find what you like, but I'm not marrying you for a dress. I'm marrying you for you. Both of us were as happy with the $240 dress and spent the extra money on family and friends attending.
    Good luck and best wishes!! The combination of dress, practicality, and affordability is out there....... you may have to look more, but you'll find exactly what fits you! :)
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdwood View Post
    QKS,

OP's fiance here. I have searched ebay, but they don't have the specific model i'm looking for. Any other trustworthy sites that sell dresses?
    Maggie Sottero Maggie Sottero Wedding Dresses and Wedding Gowns | www.preownedweddingdresses.com

Nice catch Kustom!
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Administrator
    Nice Find Pure Kustom.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    how short are you from having all the funds for the dress you want?
    My parents gave me a budget and that has to pay for all decorations, food, dress, photographer, videographer, reception hall, honeymoon (as I am a poor college student lol), hair, etc. My parents or his parents either one have a lot to contribute. My mom and dad are taking money out of the 401k to give me this budget to work with. They are also helping me with college expenses which is another reason they don't have a lot to give. I haven't figured up all of the expenses, as I know there are more to come. I am not sure how much I can spend on a dress because I don't know how much everything else will cost. I have tried on probably 30 dresses at various locations and this is one of the cheapest I have found. And it's the one I love the most.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

Wedding bills come in $500 increments.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

hummmm......... sounds like its time to gather intel on pricing! LOL We called or visited for almost EVERY thing we spent money on...... reception, dinner, rehersal, flowers, cake, chapel, music, decorations, anything we could think of..... we were within about $500 of our budget of $6k, over if I remember right! LOL but it was pretty close. You'll just have to plan, and then stick to your budget....... and you won't know until you have everything included.....rough a price in now since you know what you want, then revisit it later should you need to adjust it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links