Escape From New York - Larry Is FREE! Yea!

Escape From New York - Larry Is FREE! Yea!

This is a discussion on Escape From New York - Larry Is FREE! Yea! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was willing to donate 3 pounds of Butter. Septuagenarian Crustacean to Be Freed From NYC Restaurant by Rose Martelli (Subscribe to Rose Martelli's posts) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escape From New York - Larry Is FREE! Yea!

Administrator

Talking Escape From New York - Larry Is FREE! Yea!

I was willing to donate 3 pounds of Butter.

Septuagenarian Crustacean to Be Freed From NYC Restaurant
    by Rose Martelli (Subscribe to Rose Martelli's posts)
    Oct 27th 2009 6:00PM

Categories: Pets in the News, Fish, Adoption

A lobster in his 70s, seemingly destined to wind up as dinner, will be liberated from a New York City restaurant and allowed to live out the rest of his natural life back in the ocean.

PeoplePets.com reports that the campaign to save Larry the Lobster began about a week ago when Ryan Sutton, a reporter who covers restaurants for the Bloomberg news service, penned a column about the senior crustacean, who lives in his own tank at Oceana in Rockefeller Center.
    The name "Larry" was given to him by Sutton's editor.
    Larry's age was determined by his weight; he clocks in at 11 pounds.

In his column, Sutton claims that the thought of eating another living creature "probably born before World War II" led him to wonder why he's never considered the age or history of any other meat he's eaten: "There's something humbling about consuming flesh from an animal that's given its life, involuntarily, for me, the diner."

After Sutton's story was published, readers sent in e-mails suggesting that a "freedom fund" be set up for Larry.

One respondent even offered to buy Larry's entire tank for the purpose of releasing him.
    The restaurant also received a couple dozen phone calls and e-mails.

Oceana managing partner Paul McLaughlin agreed to voluntarily send Larry back to Maine's coastal waters.
    The attention Larry garnered may also put an end to the restaurant's recent decision to order bigger and bigger shellfish from its seafood purveyors.
    McLaughlin claimed that his clientele, made up mostly of lawyers and bankers, had begun requesting larger helpings of lobster.

"Obviously, you don't see that size lobster everyday, but large lobsters are delivered all over the city without fanfare," McLaughlin was quoted by Peoplepets.com. "Why this has raised an eyebrow, we're not entirely sure, but so be it."

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    "There's something humbling about consuming flesh from an animal that's given its life, involuntarily, for me, the diner."

It's good to see somebody say that. I'm a huge fan of animal proteins, but I TRY to retain a reverence and respect for the life they came came from.

It drives me nuts to see these shows where they're throwing/wasting meat and doing stupid non food things with it.

Yes, the animal rights groups go to far too, but a little respect for the critters can't be a bad thing.

Now...let's hope Larry can still figure out how to live in the ocean! (perhaps he'd be better off in the tank!)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

There's a lot of good eatin' in them claws baby! 3 lbs of drawn butter should cover it!

Who's got a bib?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    There's a lot of good eatin' in them claws baby! 3 lbs of drawn butter should cover it!

Who's got a bib?
    3 pounds?
    That's some serious butterin'!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    I think he'd be too tough.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Seriously, if he's that old he's probably forgotten how to live in the wild....

Sometimes I really hate these people who demand we free all animals, stop eating meat and just altogether do feel good things. At this point Larry will either be a pet, or some animals meal.

I say keep him as a pet.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

After 3 pounds the meat does get tough.

I think Larry should have gone from the tank to a nice boiling pot of water with some Ol Bay seasoning and butter.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

LOL..there's a small shark waiting on him right now!! LOL

Some of these people need to be left in the woods for a few days.
    Then may start to realize every creature on this planet is looking for something to eat and tools put man at the top of the food-chain.
    I'm sure it was an antelope that came up with the saying "only the strong survive"
    Were still hunter- gathers, even if we use Kroger and McD's to do it now.
    Free larry
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Seriously, if he's that old he's probably forgotten how to live in the wild....
    My first thought was along just this line.

Not that he'd forget but that he's been in captivity for so long as being fed food rather than on his own being required to hunt and scavenge as is normal for lobster in normal habitats, that he will struggle to survive if survive at all.
    Also Lobster are prey to to squid and octopus. They too are prey.
    Having gone so long without having to use skills such as locating shelter and knowing what are predators and who to avoid, the lobster again has a narrow real chance of survival.
    Never mind the myriad of other issues such as knowing where territory are as related to other lobster where they will no doubt just dump him in some random 'open sea' place.

People commonly apply human thoughts and 'feelings' to animals as without generally knowing nothing at all about the life and lifestyle of the animal as among it's own habitat. Further they often do not appreciate that without very specific and _minimal_ human exposure they quickly become dependent on their human handlers and as provided 'safe' habitat to the point of no longer being functional ason their own.
    We already went through this with Keiko the Orca aka 'Willy' of the film and later movement Free Willy as from the 90s.

The best thing they could have done for this animal was to end his misery and suffering as being caged outside of his natural habitat.
    Cook him and enjoy his meat adding back to the _natural_ cycle of life (!) which is exactly what an animal expects to occur as among it's 'natural' habitat. Ask any wildlife biologist as they will tell you same/similar.

These people do not know any better and are once again as is typical going by 'feel good' emotional action rather than thinking things through.
    Largely and generally animals tend not to live lives like humans where they grow old and play with their grandchildren to later apply for AARP and possibly die in their sleep dreaming of their childrens childrens childrens lives....As it goes in fantasy childrens story books.

One should respect the game they eat, even if they themself did not hunt or trap it.

- Janq does not care for nor eat lobster
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    +1 for Janq.

Does anyone remember the bald eagle in the 90s that was raised by humans at the cost of around a million bucks and was released by (then) President Clinton near NAS Pax River MD? It flew for about 2 minutes and was attacked and killed by a very large osprey on camera. BOOM! Nature at it's finest and bye bye million dollars.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Wow, 11 pounds! I would have deep fried that lobster and it would have been as tender as a chix lobster! In fact last night I purchase 4 lobsters from my local retailer, Stew Leonards. My wife and I enjoyed them. At $3.99 lb one cannot beat that!

lol! ^^ [atctimmy]

The 'Circle of Life' as told by Disney and seriously believed by _adult_ childrens storybook readers
    YouTube - Lion King - Circle of Life

The real factual circle of life as told by National Geographic
    "A spiny lobster mom sends out some 700,000 larvae! Alas, only three percent will survive. "
    YouTube - Lobster Babies

To some degree and in varying areas, people are dumber than animals.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

3 pounds.

Meet the Buttertons.
    theButtertons.gif

I agree, lets home he can still remember how to survive in the open ocean... Be kinda messed up to die shortly after being released.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Oh, c'mon... it's a bug. Do you think a roach could forget how to eat?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links