Welp, we're moving...AGAIN. This time to Midland/Odessa TX

This is a discussion on Welp, we're moving...AGAIN. This time to Midland/Odessa TX within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The wifey got her dream job. She's going to be a Field Engineer with Schlumberger. Looks like we're moving to Texas! How long are the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welp, we're moving...AGAIN. This time to Midland/Odessa TX

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

Welp, we're moving...AGAIN. This time to Midland/Odessa TX

The wifey got her dream job. She's going to be a Field Engineer with Schlumberger. Looks like we're moving to Texas! How long are the waits now for a permit? I plan on applying IMMEDIATELY when we get there. She reports in to work on Pearl Harbor Day. She'll be making enough to support the both of us (more than we both make now!) so I don't need to find a job right away (more time for shooting).

Are there any good gun clubs around there? Anything I should know about Texas specifically?

Thanks everyone.

- P
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Last I heard, there was a 3-6 month wait period. DPS is pretty backed up right now. As far as laws goes Texas is the promised land. Welcome.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Midland is a great town. I lived there back in the late 90's. Odessa is a much rougher town. I would definitely recommend Midland. The biggest problem with Midland is that you are nowhere near anyplace else. Once you pass through Sweetwater, it is just West Texas desert for hours...then suddenly...out of nowhere... a skyline! With large office buildings popping up out of nowhere.

You can buy a lot of house for not much money in Midland. Good school system. Great food. In case you can't tell, I really liked Midland. LOL! Something to keep in mind. It gets COLD in the winter. Really cold. The wind will go right through you. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions (keeping in mind it has been a while since I lived there).
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    She'll be making enough to support the both of us (more than we both make now!) so I don't need to find a job right away (more time for shooting).- P
    Dude, that's awesome! Happy for you both, hope you love the new town.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Schlumberger
    Good company! My nephew worked for them for about six years as a field engineer on offshore units. Spent a lot of time in the Carib, as well as Africa.

Good luck in Midland/Odessa. Been there many times. Quite the scenic spot.

Tell the wife congrats on being a Smurfette!

No state income tax either!

Yeah but no legal open carry either except for me :).

You might see if you can get a Florida permit quicker than that. I believe that they're valid in Texas. Verify that first...

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    You might see if you can get a Florida permit quicker than that. I believe that they're valid in Texas. Verify that first...
    TX does recognize non-resident FL permits, but I'm not sure what they do if you're a TX resident, rather than a visitor with a non-resident permit. Call 1-877-452-9060
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    You have to be a resident for 6 months before you can get a Tx resident CHL. You can get a PA non-resident permit in about 2 weeks for $26. There was a thread running on here not to long ago.

I got one because the renewal times were running 3-6 months not to long ago and I wanted to be covered in case my TX CHL expired, while waiting on my renewal.

I'm not so sure you can't get a non-resident TX permit while you're waiting for the residency requirement. Check out the Texas DPS site on CHL's. You can also download the latest handgun laws from this link.

TX DPS Concealed Handgun Licenses
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Congrats on the move...

In Texas you can:

1. Carry in your car without a CHL. The handgun must be concealed. Even with a CHL your handgun must be concealed in a vehicle.
    2. Drink while you are carrying, just not be intoxicated while carrying. Not a good idea anyway.
    3. Can not carry in bars, but you can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.
    4. Use deadly force to protect your property.

Our "Castle Doctrine":
    1. Covers you anywhere you have a legal right to be.
    2. There is no duty to retreat.
    3. Gives civil immunity, once shooting is determined to be justifiable.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Congratz on the move. I would love to live in Texas. Hopefully once I finish my EMT class I will be able to move down.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Welcome to TX!

I can't really comment on Odessa/Midland since it's across the state, but I do know there are several refineries there since my company worked in one last year.

No OC in Texas. That's the biggest issue I have with our laws. Well, and the cost and wait for CHL's. I'm not sure about West Texas, but here in Southeast Texas we have a really low cost of living and even lower firearm prices compared to other states.

And tell the wife congrats on the awesome job!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    No advice here on TX law, but congratulations! Quite a change from Colorado, but I'm sure you'll love it!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Welcome to the Republic of Texas sir! As you will see when you get here, things are different here.

Midland is a nice area, if you like dirt. Since it is in the desert you will get cold at night, so snuggle up and have a cup of coffee by a fire pit in the back yard.

You'll love our laws for firearms. There is the OC argument, I don't personally care one way or another. The wait time can be annoying, go for the PA non-res permit as someone stated and you should be OK.

As TX-JB said, you have no requirement to retreat and you can defend yourself, your family, property and even come to the aid of another with little to no issue.

The state is big and you will never get bored here, too much land to see for boredom.

Find you a good neighborhood, good church, and a good place to eat regularly and in no time it will be like you have always been here.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Congrats on the move...

In Texas you can:

1. Carry in your car without a CHL. The handgun must be concealed. Even with a CHL your handgun must be concealed in a vehicle.
    2. Drink while you are carrying, just not be intoxicated while carrying. Not a good idea anyway.
    3. Can not carry in bars, but you can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.
    4. Use deadly force to protect your property.

Our "Castle Doctrine":
    1. Covers you anywhere you have a legal right to be.
    2. There is no duty to retreat.
    3. Gives civil immunity, once shooting is determined to be justifiable.
    You are close but incorrect on a few of these.

#2 Any alcohol in your system means no legal concealed carry unless that was changed last legislative session but i did not see on that on the legislative updates that were issued to me.

#3 You can carry in establishments that there total income derived from alcohol sales are less than 51% of there total sales. If a restaurants alcohol sells compose over 51% of there total sales then you can not carry. There also have to be 51% signs posted in questionable places.

You also cant carry in a schools, polling places, most federal buildings, courthouses, and a few other places.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links