Darn those Assault Aluminum Baseball Bats!

This is a discussion on Darn those Assault Aluminum Baseball Bats! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com The Associated Press: Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darn those Assault Aluminum Baseball Bats!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Darn those Assault Aluminum Baseball Bats!

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

The Associated Press: Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit

Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit

By MATT GOURAS (AP) – 1 day ago

HELENA, Mont. — A jury on Wednesday found that the maker of Louisville Slugger baseball bats failed to adequately warn about the dangers the product can pose, awarding a family $850,000 for the 2003 death of their son in a baseball game.

The family of Brandon Patch argued that aluminum baseball bats are dangerous because they cause the baseball to travel at a greater speed. They contended that their 18-year-old son did not have enough time to react to the ball being struck before it hit him in the head while he was pitching in an American Legion baseball game in Helena in 2003.

The Lewis and Clark County District Court jury awarded a total of $850,000 in damages against Louisville, Ky.,-based Hillerich & Bradsby for failure to place warnings on the product.

The teen's mother, Debbie Patch, was stunned by the verdict. The family rejoiced and cried as the verdict was read.

"We never expected it," she said. "We just hoped we could get the truth out for more people to see."

Patch said she hopes the decision will make more people aware of the dangers associated with aluminum bats and that more youth leagues will switch to using wooden bats.

"We just want to save someone else's life," Patch said.

Attorneys for Hillerich & Bradsby declined to comment. They had argued that accidents are bound to happen in baseball games and there's nothing inherently unsafe about aluminum baseball bats.

A spokesman for the legendary bat-maker said Wednesday the company did nothing wrong and the verdict "appears to be an indictment of the entire sport of baseball."

"We made a bat in accordance with the rules," Rick Redman said. "That bat was approved for play by baseball's organizing and governing organizations."

Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association's Don't Take My Bat Away Program, a sporting goods trade group, said that while Patch's death is tragic, the exact same thing could have happened with a wooden bat.

Curt Drake, one of the family's attorneys, said the jury arrived at the total by awarding $792,000 to Brandon Patch for his lost earnings and pain and suffering, an amount that goes to his estate. The family was awarded $58,000 for their pain and suffering and damages.

Judge Kathy Seeley is still considering punitive damages in the case.

In the verdict Wednesday, the jury also decided the product was not defective. Drake said that decision was not significant, since the jury found it posed a threat without an adequate warning label.

The attorney said the family's victory will not likely change the way aluminum bats are used, but that it could help give momentum to efforts calling for a switch to wood bats in youth baseball.

Metal bats came into vogue in amateur sports in the 1970s, but professional baseball still uses wood bats. Some amateur teams have decided to switch in recent years, in part due to Patch's death.

"We should go back to the way baseball is supposed to be played, the way professional baseball is played," said Debbie Patch.

Brandon Patch was pitching for the Miles City Mavericks when the ball ricocheted off his head, eventually falling behind first base after traveling as high as 50 feet in the air.

Patch went into convulsions on the field in front of a horrified crowd and died within hours from his injury.

His family's lawsuit was one of several in recent years involving aluminum bats made by Hillerich & Bradsby.

Last year, the family of a New Jersey boy who suffered brain damage after he was struck by a line drive off an aluminum Louisville Slugger bat sued the company and others, saying they should have known it was dangerous. Steven Domalewski was 12 when he was struck by the ball in 2006. His family's suit is pending in New Jersey Superior Court.

In 2002, the parents of teenage pitcher Jeremy Brett of Enid, Okla., won a jury verdict against Hillerich & Bradsby and were awarded damages. The couple filed suit after Brett was hit in the head with a ball hit off an aluminum bat made by the company, suffering severe head injuries.
    On the Net:
    Don't you love it when companies are sued for having a product that does what it is supposed to do?

???

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    They get sued because a kid couldn't duck. Pretty soon if you play a sport in school and get hurt you can sue the school.This new generation of kids are

When most of us were kids we played with all kinds of dealy weapons...........anybody remember. Klick Klacks........

Unbelievable.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Klick Klacks... absolutely lethal...

Howzabout yard darts? There's some improvised SHTF artillery... you don't see those anymore...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Klick Klacks... absolutely lethal...

Howzabout yard darts? There's some improvised SHTF artillery... you don't see those anymore...
    I remember those!!!

I read this in yesterday's newspaper. Yeah....unbelievable. America's legal system....still makes me wonder.

If he woulda had a helmet on he would be alive today,I guess to stop lawsuits from head injurys they need to make all players wear big clumsy batting helmets on the field ,even if it will affect how they play
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I thought we used aluminum bats BECAUSE they hit harder. Just sayin. Absolutely ridiculous. No accidents anymore, somebody has to pay.

VIP Member
    Another case of BS lawsuits. While his death was tragic to the family, it was not the bat manufacturers fault. Maybe they should sue the manufacturer of the baseball as well, they make a ball that is extremely hard, and should know that if it hits someone in the head there is a chance of major injury or death.

Pretty simple...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Somebody should throw the BS flag on the field.

As a parent I understand there is no greater loss than one of a child but come on people. It the words of Alan Shore "Most lawsuit verdicts are based on emotion and not logic".

How does this lawsuit change anything? How does this money change anything? I can understand a lawsuit when it will effect change in the company/person who did something wrong.

Tell me that the company used pot metal instead of aluminum (because it allowed them to make greater profits) and the bat broke and half of it flew off and killed the pitcher. Then that's something to sue about. Lawyer should be disbarred for taking this case. Product worked as it was designed.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    its funny they blame the bat... why not make a softer ball? Why not just ban baseball all together... wait don't tell them I said that......

sheeple to the rescue

There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Why not just ban baseball all together
    Then what would A-rod,Jeter and the rest of these over paid guys do for a living?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Then what would A-rod,Jeter and the rest of these over paid guys do for a living?
    Ballet?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

My two two would be four four

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links