Now the FLAG is offensive?

This is a discussion on Now the FLAG is offensive? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Giant American flag is offensive I don't even have the words to express my feelings on this. These Jerks are offended by the FLAG?!?!?! Then ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now the FLAG is offensive?

Now the FLAG is offensive?

Giant American flag is offensive

I don't even have the words to express my feelings on this. These Jerks are offended by the FLAG?!?!?!

Then you have this idiocy:

One members was quoted to say "It's like putting a Jesus cross in my face."
    I saw the report on TV - the gym owner said this idiot told him to "keep his religion to himself"

Since WHEN has the US FLAG had ANYTHING to do with RELIGION?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by rstickle; October 30th, 2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Language work arounds are not permitted.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Another member feels the exact opposite and said "This is America. If you don't like to see the flag you can move somewhere else."
    Yep! To quote south park...If you don't like America, you can giiiiiit out!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Wow, just... Wow.

As the saying goes: "Love it or leave it." If they're offended by the American flag, they can feel free to relocate themselves to somewhere where they won't see it. I'd like to suggest, oh I don't know, Sierra Leone perhaps?

I'll chip in a buck for their plane fare even.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Those type of comments anger me like (almost) nothing else! I agree with the like it or leave it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Why would someone consider our flag offensive, I don't get it.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I bet it's relatively easy to emmigrate to Mexico.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Yep! To quote south park...If you don't like America, you can giiiiiit out!
    Yeah pretty much.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

That makes no sense. That's like me going to Germany and complaining about how everyone talks German. It's true... you can't fix stupid.

VIP Member

What the hey -- Did you click on the other side bar stories?

Let it Rip Apartment flag ban

Let it Rip: Apartment flag ban
    FOX25 Morning News
    Updated: Wednesday, 14 Oct 2009, 9:21 AM EDT
    Published : Wednesday, 14 Oct 2009, 9:21 AM EDT

Morning
    News Team
    FOX25, myfoxboston - People living in an Oregon apartment complex are up in arms after their landlord asked them to keep the American flag off their cars.

Renters were told if there is a flag anywhere on their car -- even on a sticker -- it must be removed or they could face eviction.

Managers say they made the move because the image is offensive to some people.
    American Flag Ban at Oregon Apartment Complex Reversed After Outcry

American Flag Ban at Oregon Apartment Complex Reversed After Outcry
    Updated: Friday, 16 Oct 2009, 5:46 AM EDT
    Published : Thursday, 15 Oct 2009, 10:16 PM EDT

An Oregon apartment complex reversed its ban prohibiting residents from flying American flags from dwellings and parked vehicles after the property manager decided she didn't have the legal standing to do so, KATU in Portland reported Wednesday.

The American Civil Liberties Union said that Barb Holcomb's ban at Oaks Apartments did not violate any laws, but Holcomb said her legal cousel led her to believe otherwise so she reversed the decision.

"If people want to fly any flag of any nationality, it's their right," she told KATU. "When a tenant rents the unit, the inside of the unit belongs to the tenant. All automobiles and things attached to the automobiles are the personal property of the tenant."

Holcomb told KATU that the flag flap was caused by how two sections of the rental agreement that all tenants sign were interpreted.

Residents' outrage started when Jim Clausen, whose son is in the military and on his way back to Iraq, was told he couldn't fly an American flag from the back of his motorcycle.

If he didn't take the flag down, he was told he'd face eviction, the station reported on Monday.

"It floored me," Clausen told the station. "I can't believe she was saying what she was saying. It [the flag] stands for the people that can no longer stand who died in wars. That's why I fly the flag."

Holcomb admitted she was wrong to ban the flags after the public outcry received national media attention.

"What we were trying to do was to keep the peace," she told the station, declining to say if a particular incident sparked the ban. "Obviously, we were wrong. If the peace needs to be kept, it belongs to the police department."

Holcomb received numerous calls from the media focusing on the American flag ban, although the policy itself did not specifically single out the U.S. flag and allow the flags of other nations.

"I made a policy. I was wrong," she said.

Sharron White, a long-time resident, was originally told by management to take down the flag she'd flown on her car for eight years because "someone might get offended."

"I just said to her, 'They'll just have to get over it,'" White said before the ban was lifted.

The ban had also applied to flag stickers on cars, as well as sports flags.

Click here to read more on this story from KATU.com.
    Pennsylvania Firefighter Suspended for U.S. Flag on Locker

Firefighter Suspended for U.S. Flag on Locker
    Updated: Sunday, 18 Oct 2009, 9:46 AM EDT
    Published : Saturday, 17 Oct 2009, 11:16 AM EDT

A Pennslyvania firefighter was suspended without pay for refusing to remove an American flag sticker from his locker, Myfoxphilly.com reported.

James Krapf of Chester, Pa., violated a department policy that states personal items can only be posted inside employee lockers when he stuck the flag on the outside. According to Myfoxphilly.com, the firefighters' union warned 11 others to remove personal items or face similar suspensions, all without pay.

The initial ban came after an incident in which some firefighters complained about a cartoon posted in the firehouse that they found racially offensive.

Krapf was suspended Thursday, and so far is the only firefighter to be hit with the penalty.

"I shouldn't have to remove the flag of the country I believe in. I love my country," Krapf told Myfoxphilly.com. "I love my job. I love helping people. I've been doing this 11 years in the City of Chester, so this is something I love to do."

Krapf said he wants to meet with the fire commissioner and the mayor to discuss the issue. The fire commissioner told local media outlets that banning all materials from locker doors was the simplest way to avoid bickering among the staff.

Click here to read more on this story from Myfoxphilly.com.
    Firefighter Suspended Over American Flag Sticker On Locker

Firefighter Suspended Over Flag Sticker
    Policy Arose When Another Firefighter Hung Cartoon
    CHESTER, Pa. - A Chester City firefighter is taking heat after he refused to take the American flag off of his locker.

The firefighter is trying to go back to work Friday night after being suspended without pay Thursday for refusing to take the flag sticker off his locker, Fox 29's Sharon Crowley reported.

James Krapf took a photo of his locker with the sticker on it at the Chester Fire Dept.'s station, and he said he doesn't understand why his supervisor wants him to take it off.

Krapf said he's patriotic and many American flags hang around the firehouse.

He said he was told displaying the sticker on the outside of the locker is a violation of department policy. Personal items can be posted inside the lockers.

The firefighters' union said 11 other firefighters were warned they should remove personal items from the outside of lockers or face similar suspensions, all without pay.

The order came after an incident over the summer, when some firefighters complained about a cartoon posted at the firehouse. They found it racially-offensive.

"Our guys took it hard on 9/11 because that could be anyone of us on any given day, and they take that seriously" said union leader Stacy Landrum.

Krapf was suspended Thursday, and so far he's the only one who has been suspended.

"I shouldn't have to remove the flag of the country I believe in. I love my country," Krapf said. "I love my job. I love helping people. I've been doing this 11 years in the City of Chester, so this is something I love to do."

Fox 29 News tried to get answers directly from the fire commissioner Friday. He told a local newspaper banning all materials from locker doors was the simplest way to avoid bickering among the staff.

When Crowley asked to talk with him, she got the run around, being repeatedly told he would be out to talk with her. Then, she was told he changed his mind and had no comment.

"Commissioner, hi. Can you tell us why you won't talk to us because we've been out here all day?" Crowley asked.

"Yes, m'am, and I appreciate that," the commissioner said, as he rose from his desk during a cell phone call. "Thank you very much. We have no comment, and I think it's very rude that you barge into my office in the middle of a conversation."

Krapf said he hoped to meet with the fire commissioner and the mayor to resolve the issue, though he still wants to be able to display an American flag.
    Firefighter American Flag Protest On Monday

Protesters Support Man In Flag Flap
    Battalion Chief Refuses To Scrape Off Flag Sticker
    MyFox Philly Report

CHESTER, Pa. - About a dozen protesters are camped out in Chester, Pa., at a firehouse where a man refused to remove an American flag decal from his locker.

The rally was being held in support of Firefighter James Krapf in front of the firehouse on East Fourteenth Street.

Krapf is still not back at work after he refused to take an American flag sticker off the front of his locker.

Krapf disobeyed an order from Fire Commissioner James Johnson to clear all decorations from outside of his locker.

The battalion chief was then asked to scrape the sticker off, but he, too, has refused.

The policy was enacted in response to a cartoon on another firefighter's locker that some found offensive.

Krapf took a photo of his locker with the sticker on it at the Chester Fire Dept.'s station, and he said he doesn't understand why his supervisor wants him to take it off.

Krapf said he's patriotic and many American flags hang around the firehouse.

He said he was told displaying the sticker on the outside of the locker is a violation of department policy. Personal items can be posted inside the lockers.

The firefighters' union said 11 other firefighters were warned they should remove personal items from the outside of lockers or face similar suspensions, all without pay.

The order came after an incident over the summer, when some firefighters complained about a cartoon posted at the firehouse. They found it racially offensive.

"Our guys took it hard on 9/11 because that could be anyone of us on any given day, and they take that seriously" said union leader Stacy Landrum.

Krapf was suspended on Thursday, and so far he's the only one who has been suspended.

"I shouldn't have to remove the flag of the country I believe in. I love my country," Krapf said. "I love my job. I love helping people. I've been doing this 11 years in the City of Chester, so this is something I love to do."

Fox 29 News tried to get answers directly from the Fire Commissioner Johnson on Friday. He told a local newspaper banning all materials from locker doors was the simplest way to avoid bickering among the staff.

When Fox 29 reporter Sharon Crowley asked to talk with him, she got the run around, being repeatedly told he would be out to talk with her. Then, she was told he changed his mind and had no comment.

"Commissioner, hi. Can you tell us why you won't talk to us because we've been out here all day?" Crowley asked.

"Yes, m'am, and I appreciate that," Fire Commissioner Johnson said, as he rose from his desk during a cell phone call. "Thank you very much. We have no comment, and I think it's very rude that you barge into my office in the middle of a conversation."

Krapf said he hoped to meet with the fire commissioner and the mayor to resolve the issue, though he still wants to be able to display an American flag.

Student and UNH disagree over flag outside window

Student, UNH disagree over flag outside window
    Updated: Friday, 16 Oct 2009, 11:05 AM EDT
    Published : Thursday, 15 Oct 2009, 10:29 AM EDT

Sharman
    Sacchetti
    DURHAM, N.H. - A University of New Hampshire student has gotten into a tussle with the school over his decision to hang an American flag outside his dorm window.

Scott Chesney, director of residence life, says students cannot hang anything on the outside of their residence halls for safety and appearance reasons.

Conner MacIver, a 19-year-old freshman from West Ossipee, hung the 3.5-by-5-foot flag outside his third-story room window at the start of the semester. He took it down recently, after a couple of weeks.

MacIver said was declaring his support of the country and for his father, who served 20 years in the U.S. Army.

The flag now hangs in his room.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Gotta go buy me some more Flags.
    Yep "LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT"
    Glocks

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

To anybody that is offended by the U.S.A. Flag.

"Old Glory was here long before you, and it will still be here after you leave!!!"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Somebody scraped off my NOBAMA sticker on my car during the election.

I have an american flag at my desk and everyone knows NOT TO TOUCH IT!

I have the stars and stripes as a ringtone

Those articals piss me off!

Am I patriotic yet?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post

To anybody that is offended by the U.S.A. Flag.

"Old Glory was here long before you, and it will still be here after you leave!!!"
    You just gave me my new wallpaper Thank you sir
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Don't let the door hit you in the Butt on the way out!
    Last edited by rstickle; October 31st, 2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Language work around

I like the last sentence in the article...

He also said if the complaining members decide to leave the gym he will just have to live with that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links