Merry Tossmas is almost upon us.

This is a discussion on Merry Tossmas is almost upon us. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; CitizenLink: Merry Tossmas It's an oldie but a goodie, But means even more nowadays. And yes I intend to offend....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merry Tossmas is almost upon us.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

Merry Tossmas is almost upon us.

CitizenLink: Merry Tossmas

It's an oldie but a goodie, But means even more nowadays.

And yes I intend to offend.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I too will be offensive by wishing people Merry Christmas, and refusing to shop at businesses that have “holiday” sales.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Love it! Merry CHRISTmas!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

People who get offended by "Merry Christmas" take themselves too seriously, IMO. If you're not a Christian, that's fine - accept the greeting in the spirit it was intended. Don't get offended by how that intention was expressed.

Or is that just too hard for people?

The only time I use "Happy Holidays" is when signing Christmas cards that already say "Merry Christmas" in them (no sense in being redundant).

And as for catalog season, yes, it's upon us. Back when I was working, I used to take all the catalogs to work and leave them in the break room for people. We would all get together and place orders, to save on shipping costs. Then after the season was over, several of the parents in the office would take them home so they could do crafty things with the pictures.

I think it's silly to get offended about any reference to a commercial holiday, which is all it's ever really been.

It's especially silly, if you consider that the solstice has been celebrated by humans ever since they realized the seasons change. The December 25th date, established 45 BCE in the Julian calendar as the winter solstice, was not even associated by christians with the nativity until 354 CE. The Roman festival Saturnalia, for example, was celebrated beginning around 217 CE, from December 17-23. Brumalia was an even more ancient Greek solstice festival honoring Dionysus.

So, don't get offended if someone says merry xmas, merry christmas, happy holidays, happy hanukkah, habari gani (kwanzaa), or any other seasonal greeting. The greeting offered is more about what particular event the greeter is celebrating, rather than the greet-ee, who can offer their own greeting in response. Why not just accept any offered greeting with good cheer?

Let's just hope for a successful commercial season for all the businesses which depend so much on it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

This is true, since the Lord Jesus Christ was born in the early spring, (approximately April 4th) when the sheperds truly DID "watch their flocks by night".

Merry CHRISTmas will remain the greeting that crosses my lips, because the celebration is STILL about Christ the Lord. Anyone that has a problem with that, will simply be required to get over themselves.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

allow me to drag out my soapbox for a moment:

all Christmas seems to be about anymore is gimme gimme gimme. I am personally sick of it; its not repeat NOT about material things. its about different things to different people (to me its about being together with family). I'm not heavily religious, but first and foremost Christmas is about the birth of Jesus.

ok, I'll put the soapbox away now
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    allow me to drag out my soapbox for a moment:

all Christmas seems to be about anymore is gimme gimme gimme. I am personally sick of it; its not repeat NOT about material things. its about different things to different people (to me its about being together with family). I'm not heavily religious, but first and foremost Christmas is about the birth of Jesus.

ok, I'll put the soapbox away now
    That's fine for you to have strong convictions about the season. Just keep in mind, as you drag out the soapbox, that your personal beliefs only apply to you, and everyone else has an equal right to the way they choose or choose not to observe it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

agreed, I didn't mean to imply everyone else was wrong; just sharing my point of view.

the gimme gimme thing mainly comes from the inlaws
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

[sigh] I hate all this stuff about "the war on christmas." Anyone has the right to say Merry Christmas. And I have the right to say "Happy Solstice" or "Happy early new year" or any other *#$&$$& thing I want to say.

Sheesh. [rest of my rant deleted because I don't want another private note from an admin!!!!!!!]

Blecch.

Rodc13 has it right.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

People who get offended by "Merry Christmas" take themselves too seriously, IMO.
    That's because we have allowed this country to fall into the hands of the terminal "whiny". If one person out of a million is "OH-fended", well we have to stop.
    I say "Hell no."
    It's basically a Christian country, founded by brilliant Christian white guys, who valued freedom, and welcomed all.
    Merry Christmas.

And Happy Solstice -- and Happy Kwanzaa -- and Happy Hannukah -- and anything else you want to say. And if anyone gets offended because I say something other than Merry Christmas, they can kiss my big lily-white you-know-what.

We should be inclusive, people, not exclusive. Because our founding fathers valued freedom, we ARE a melting pot. "Merry Christmas" should be fine. So should Happy Solstice, Kwanzaa, and Hannukah.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The reason we give presents and traditionally take days off is Christmas. Not Happy Holidays or Kwanzaa or even Hannukah, but Christmas. It is the Christians' Holiday (even if they did steal the time of year it falls from Pagans). Now you can say anything you want as a greeting during that time of year, but you also have to expect the Christians will get ticked off, rightfully so. The 1st Amendment guarantees the freedom of speech, not freedom from consequences of what you say.

pax
    We should be inclusive, people, not exclusive. Because our founding fathers valued freedom, we ARE a melting pot. "Merry Christmas" should be fine. So should Happy Solstice, Kwanzaa, and Hannukah.
    Yeah, that's true enough. "Merry Christmas" should be fine. But companies -- retail sales and media alike -- are deliberately erasing it and actively shunning it. Many stores outright forbid their employees to wish customers "Merry Christmas," although other specific holiday greetings are not similarly forbidden.

Like it or not, 90% of Americans celebrate Christmas -- not some generic "all-inclusive holiday season with Christmas mysteriously vanished." The vast majority of Americans celebrate the traditional Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year cycle. It's okay to wish someone Happy Thanksgiving, and stores still have Thanksgiving sales. Ditto New Years. Ditto Independence Day, ditto Mother's Day, ditto Valentine's Day. But Christmas is deliberately being erased. It's obviously becoming not fine to say "Merry Christmas" and not okay to have a Christmas sale. Something is rotten there.

If 90% of Americans did not celebrate Christmas, there would be no holiday catalogs. It's Christmas that drives those sales, and the political agenda in trying to erase the word while maintaining the sales is awesomely obvious to everyone, and distasteful to nearly everyone who isn't part of that political agenda.

So be careful in your "inclusive" speech to include the majority as well as the minorities you're worried about. Don't go trying to erase and deny what 90% of us participate in, and then claim that the erasure is somehow "inclusive." It's not. It's an agenda to erase a large segment of American history and values.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links