Deployed again?

Deployed again?

This is a discussion on Deployed again? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a good friend who is being deployed again later this month. 1. I am not the most creative person when it comes to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deployed again?

Deployed again?

I have a good friend who is being deployed again later this month.

1. I am not the most creative person when it comes to making crafty sentences. All I can think to say is things like "Thank you for your service & be careful". Any ideas?
    2. Any ideas for a going away present? (Reality is probably a 6pack would be as appreciated as anything). However I was thinking something that he could take with him and use.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

1. Watch your back.
    2. Leatherman.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

1. Keep your head on a swivel and get home in one WHOLE piece!

2. Baby wipes!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

iTunes gift card (if he has an iPod or the like)

Otherwise, whatever you give him, he has to pack (or maybe mail, if he knows his address already)...otherwise, something to send him after he gets there.

Just my two cents

(14 months deployed already...)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Also, tell them you want to stay in touch via email.

A few positive words from home couldn't hurt.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Not sure what to say to a person when they deploy, thanks and take care would be about all I could muster.

Make sure he has your Email address so he can send you his mailing address, care packages keep a little bit of home coming to them the whole deployment.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

1) Watch your back.
    2) Agree with the Leatherman.
    3) Please keep arranging those meetings with Allah.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Watch your back, take care, we are proud of you, something like that. I really don't expect my good friends and family to say much, I know have an idea how they feel. My close friends just tell me to take care and that they will help look after my family if they need anything.

A good knife, or leatherman, a surefire, take him out for a good meal, go have a 6 pack with him and bs. Or get his mailing address, and just send him care packages and stuff, although apparently the mail to Afghan is a little slow depending on where you are stationed.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

All of the ideas above are good. I found an item of mine to very useful when sleeping on or in just about anywhere and that is a dogbones-neckbones pillow. I recently sent one to my nephew in Kandahar and he really appreciated it .It takes very little room to hook to the ruck and is very handy to catch a few zeees. Available at Amazon for ten bucks.

rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

A good mutli tool like a SOG EOD, or the like or a Good working knife is always important. Saying something like stay safe or good luck and come back safe is good. I told my friend over the Net, thank you for being in Iraq, so I didnt have and fighting for me and my family. He greatly appreciated it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks guys good ideas!
    1. The leatherman is a good idea however for one he is a flight engineer (I am sure he has access to tools. Second he has a real nice switchblade.
    2. I realized reading all these that it might sound a little condescending if I was to offer up tips being that he is career Army and I am a civilian.
    3. "Please keep arranging those meetings with Allah...." (Got to love it!)

I think letting him know that he will be missed and offering up to help the family if needed will be about as good as I can do. Well that and a six pack!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    Thanks guys good ideas!
    1. The leatherman is a good idea however for one he is a flight engineer (I am sure he has access to tools. Second he has a real nice switchblade.
    2. I realized reading all these that it might sound a little condescending if I was to offer up tips being that he is career Army and I am a civilian.
    3. "Please keep arranging those meetings with Allah...." (Got to love it!)

I think letting him know that he will be missed and offering up to help the family if needed will be about as good as I can do. Well that and a six pack!
    I don't care what profession someone is in, but a switchblade is not a substitute for a good multi-tool like a Leatherman. I would think that's doubly so if he's an engineer. Then again, if he's an engineer and doesn't already have one...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

remind him that all of us here at DC thank him for what he is doing..... And that goes for anyone reading this who is/was/will be in the military
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Thank you for setting me straight packinnova, I will ask if he has one.

For going away, a good LED flashlight is hard to beat and is something I use regularly.

Once he is there, there is an item I can not get here and love it when the wife sends it...

Dried fruit; apricots, blueberries, pineapple, assortment bags etc. The PX is fairly well stocked with common items but dried fruit is something I can't find. Easy to carry, non perishable and a good snack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links