Life lessons learned this week....

This is a discussion on Life lessons learned this week.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I learned a few lessons this week.. Sorry for the long read but I hope it's worth it. Lesson #1: A Surefire M3 with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life lessons learned this week....

Life lessons learned this week....

So I learned a few lessons this week.. Sorry for the long read but I hope it's worth it.

Lesson #1: A Surefire M3 with H/O lamp is painfully bright in a dimly lit/ dark house.

Lesson #2 It's very unsettling to have a red dot dancing around on your chest in your own house.

Lesson #3 My wife is much more sheepdog/mother bear than I EVER gave her credit for.

And now for the back story...

I work nights have been for going on 3 years now so we as a family tend to have a set routine for my work week. It consists of me getting up around 5 having dinner with the family helping out with homework etc. then heading out the door to work. The first part of my work night is generally paperwork catching up on the 100+ emails from the previous shift. During this time I stay in pretty much constant contact with the wife via text or direct connect. Usually telling her to sleep well somewhere around 10-11.

We recently moved into a new house and are still in the process of unpacking and getting used to the sounds that are "normal" again. On this particular night I had went to work chatted back and forth and told her to sleep well and I would "beep" her in the AM to see if she wanted coffee on my way home or not. A very TYPICAL night.

At about midnight I reached up and rubbed my eye which prompted my contact to fold itself into a 1/4 wedge itself up under my eyelid. Usually I keep a spare set of disposable contacts and some fluid in my locker at work or have prescription safety glasses to fall back on, but as luck would have it none of the usual options was available. I told my co-workers that I was going to run home swap out my contacts and would be back in about 15min. and off I go not a concern in the world.

I got to the house and parked in the driveway because the garage door on the new place is freaking LOUD. Unlocked the front door and headed upstairs. I was met about halfway up the steps my my guard cat and stopped to give him a quick scratch before proceeding up the stairs. As I topped the stairs and started to turn into the Master Bedroom my world became a searing white hot hell. I uttered a small diatribe consisting of some colorful language that basically said turn off that ^%$&^##@ light. Now my good eye is totally shot and I pry the eye with the folded contact open to see a red dot about the size of a dime dancing around my chest. More cussing with a demand to turn on a freaking lamp so I can see and put the &%^&$&*($#@!$#% gun down. Once the lamp comes on I see my wife huddled behind our bed with MY pistol and light and our 7yr son crouched behind her with the cell phone and 911 on the other end.

And this all leads us to the most important lesson learned this week.

Lesson#4 Never come home unexpected and unannounced in the middle of the night.

The wife and I have had a couple of lengthy discussions about this incident since it happened and I can't find anything about her response to even be irritated at. She did everything right. Called 911 when she heard the front door open. Armed herself and sought cover/concealment.

And for those that are wondering it took the police 23min exactly from the time she hit send on the 911 call for the police to show up. I talked to the dispatcher and explained the situation but she still wanted the officers to respond. Can't really blame her but seriously 23min on a active burglary with a weapon involved.

So there you have it life lessons learned in the Gunner household this week.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Your lucky you can still learn from it. Your wife seems on the ball. She needs to be taken out to dinner. For not shooting you, and proving she can protect the family when you are away from home.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Some lessons can be hard to learn. Since it seems she did everything right including not firing until she identified the "threat" target I would treat her to something special. I suggest giving her a day at a SPA or find the finest resturaunt you can afford and treat her to a fine dinner. She's earned it. You know your family is well protected while you are gone.

There's no lack of pampering in her world. I think I may have to spring and get her her own M3 though. I did ask her why she grabbed my pistol instead of hers and she said because I was on your side of the bed.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Your wife done did a good job. Guess you'll be callin the next time you pop in early.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sounds like she did everything right. She should be proud of herself. What's that saying about a pitbull in lipstick.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

You, sir need to be beaten! NEVER come home unannounced once YOU have taught your spouse to respond accordingly.

BTW, your wife gets whatever she wants for Christmas this year! She saved your life.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Her response was textbook perfect. An excellent illustration of why you need a good light--target identification is life-or-death important.

Time for her reward!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    OUTSTANDING on her part!

AAA+++ for the spouse and kid. You, sir, learned a lesson.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

And she makes sure of her target, too...lucky for you!
    Give that wife a pat on the back.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Good thing you didn't have a fight before you left for work...

Seriously, congrats to the wife, text book reaction to the situation... you can't teach it any better than that.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Have a secret, key word... that only the 2 of you know... that in 'dark' circumstances you can say and they know it's you.... or her.

Have a procedure, that let's her know it's you..... like calling a couple of minutes before you arrive home...

Take her out to dinner. !!! She did everything right... .. including identifying her target first.

Next, don't ever tick her off and never have tooooo much life insurance. LOL

With all the people shooting spouses lately it's a good thing you had a light on your gun and she identified her target
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner69 View Post
    And this all leads us to the most important lesson learned this week: Lesson#4 Never come home unexpected and unannounced in the middle of the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Your lucky you can still learn from it.
    Yup. You could easily have been killed, but for the apparent discipline of training your wife showed to know the target before firing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links