NRA phone solicitation gone bad

This is a discussion on NRA phone solicitation gone bad within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I recently joined the NRA. My father has been a member for many years and I wanted to contribute to gun owner's rights. Yesterday I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA phone solicitation gone bad

Thumbs down NRA phone solicitation gone bad

I recently joined the NRA. My father has been a member for many years and I wanted to contribute to gun owner's rights. Yesterday I received a call from a solicitor talking very excitedly about recent legislation aimed at gun owners. Ok, I'm listening. At the end of the oral narration she asked if she could put me down for $150 donation. Wow, that's a lot of money. After telling her I could not possibly afford $150 maybe later, she lowered it to $100. I told her I lost my job, had a daughter, spent my savings, losing my home and my 401K. Without pausing she said any amount would help can we count on your $50? No maybe later. How about $35? Click. I hung up on her. I believe in a lot of what the NRA does but my membership fee was my contribution until I can get back on my feet. This type of relentless telemarketing is rude and disrespectful. Is this the NRAs M.O.?
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

2. Remove Ads

Not at all. I have been a NRA member (off and on) for 40 years. I can't recall EVER getting one of these calls. Though they do send letters asking for donations. I support them and the GOA (Gun Owners of America) with donations from time to time.

NRA and GOA - both very worthwhile groups working hard to support 2A.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I joined recently as well, and the first thing I noticed was how they never miss a chance to solicit a donation. Understandable, I suppose, but it does make them look a little fiscally "grabby". It's kind of a turn off, and makes me wonder if my membership money would be better spent on the state sportsmens association.

edit to add:
    I received a very similar call from them last week, the guy told me the U.N. was going to try to take my guns and what did I think about that. I chuckled and said "good luck!" Same M.O., "can I count on your $150 donation?" Then down to $100, then $50, I kept explaining that things were tight and I'd like to just stand on my membership dues for the time being. He eventually gave up.

This has been my experience with them repeatedly and is partly why I chose to cancel my membership and let them know. I don't like to associate with sleazeballs and a supposedly good guy using sleazeball tactics is just as bad.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Let me start out by saying that I hate telemarketers. That said, please understand that the phone call you received was most likely not from the NRA but from a telemarketing firm hired by the NRA. That may seem like a small distinction, but if you know a bit about how these telemarketing firms work, maybe it will help you understand.

I employ 45-50 people in my restaurant business. Several years ago, one of these telemarketing firms opened up in a nearby town with promises of huge earnings potentials and I lost several employees to them. It wasn't long until most of those employees were back begging for their old jobs. In talking with them, they were paid a certain amount for every "completed" call and a certain amount for every "successful" call. We can all pretty much guess what a successful call is but to be classified as a "completed" call, the tele-marketer had to hear NO three times. Any less than that and they weren't paid for the time they were on the call. That will help explain a bit why they are so aggressive and why they keep coming after you with alternative deals or lower prices. BTW, did I mention that I hate telemarketers.

In my opinion, tele-marketing should be illegal. Or, at the least, there should be an opt-in list, not an opt-out list. But don't forget that the NRA needs money for their (and our) fight. And you can expect them to use every legal way to raise that money. I'm sure that if any form of fund-raising wasn't bringing in more than it cost, they wouldn't be using it. BTW, did I mention that I hate telemarketers.

If telemarketers bother you, don't talk with them. Just hang up. 99% of the time, that's what I do. But every once in a while, just to mess with them, I'll keep them on the phone long enough to say no twice before I hang up. If enough people did that, maybe they'd go get a real job and quit calling me on the phone that I pay for. In the mean time in regards to the NRA, the old saying "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind. BTW, did I mention that I hate telemarketers.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

As annoying as they can be this is a lousy reason to "cancel" your membership. Very poor timing on your part to do so---regardless of the annoyance simply tell them that you cannot afford it right now. When they ask for $150 I tell them it's $20 or nothing---the $20 then becomes wonderful. We go into a Gun Dealer and pi$$ away more than that as we ogle the eye candy. If you cannot afford it, that's understandable---but don't quit the NRA---we need them out there fighting for us, specially with the morons in the governments---state and federal. "Doc"
    NRA Endowment Life
    NYSRPA Life
    NYSMLA
    NMLRA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Let me start out by saying that I hate telemarketers. That said, please understand that the phone call you received was most likely not from the NRA but from a telemarketing firm hired by the NRA. That may seem like a small distinction, but if you know a bit about how these telemarketing firms work, maybe it will help you understand.
    Hoss
    Good post! Telemarketing is a high pressure racket and it truly does start with their employees directives. The only thing I would disagree with is that it truly doesn't matter if it's the NRA or a telemarket firm hired by the NRA; once the NRA gives said firm the authority to act as a representative for it, the NRA is responsible for the actions made on its behalf. I get tons of letters from them requesting more money, but luckily I haven't received any phone calls. I would recommend that anyone who gets a call like this, ask for specific information from the caller about who actually employs them then write the NRA and complain about the telemarketing tactics.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yes, we definitely need them fighting for us. Since I believe in their mission, I am cordial, but If I can't afford a donation, I just keep answering "no, not at this time."

The telemarketers I really love are the one whose mission I do not believe in. Then it's open season for messing with the caller.

For example, the California Republican Party (who by the way hasn't put a real conservative on the ticket since Reagan) likes to call every so often--how nice of them to take time out of their day to give me a chance to tell them exactly what this conservative wants in an elected official. And no you can't have any of my money till you regain my trust.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I jsut ask if I can have their home number so I can call them back when it is convinent for me. When they repond that they are not allowed to accept calls at home I tell them neither am I. If you donate when solicited over the phone you incourage that behavior. If you then take the time to contact the agency that the call was made on behalf of and tell them that you do not approve, they will get the message sooner or later.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Whenever I receive a telemarketing call, I simply say:
    "I'm sorry but we do not accept solicitations over the phone" and hang up.

Don't wait for them to respond, just hang up.

Also, most telemarketing calls are initiated by computer, so when I answer phone and say "hello", if I don't here a voice response within 1 to 2 seconds I hang up. (I think computer waits to hear two "hellos" before alerting telemarketer).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    We can all pretty much guess what a successful call is but to be classified as a "completed" call, the tele-marketer had to hear NO three times. Any less than that and they weren't paid for the time they were on the call.
    [QUOTE=quantum36;1359111]Whenever I receive a telemarketing call, I simply say:
    "I'm sorry but we do not accept solicitations over the phone" and hang up.

Don't wait for them to respond, just hang up.

QUOTE]

I had a boss one time that would play a game, if he wasn't busy, at the time.

He'd see how long he could keep them on the phone before they hung-up -- never say "no" just ask questions.

BTW -- what ever happened to the "don't call list"?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

BTW -- what ever happened to the "don't call list"?
    It's still there, but any business that has a recent history of doing business with you is exempt from the list. So, for instance, if you were to not renew your NRA membership, after a certain amount of time, they would have to abide by the 'do not call' list for your state.

edit to add:
    I received a very similar call from them last week, the guy told me the U.N. was going to try to take my guns and what did I think about that. I chuckled and said "good luck!" Same M.O., "can I count on your $150 donation?" Then down to $100, then $50, I kept explaining that things were tight and I'd like to just stand on my membership dues for the time being. He eventually gave up.[/QUOTE]

That was the same call I got. But she was not about to give up on me.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Almost exactly the same pushy caller I received last month.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I work in sales and I occasionally have to do some business to business telemarketing. I have products that can significantly help my customers become more profitable if they take the time to work with me.

Therefore, I give sales people a break and will listen for a few moments. They are just people trying to make a living just like the rest of us. Some folks paint houses, others try to sell ladders.

That being said, I too have been completely turned off by the NRA's constant "THE SKY IS FALLING!! Give us money to protect you!!" solicitations. If they were honest with people instead of grabbing at every rediculous piece of hype (i.e. the U.N. story brought up already) then people would take them more serious.

It's just like the story my dad (all of our dads) used to tell me as a kid about the little boy who cried wolf....
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links