The stifled sneeze .....

The stifled sneeze .....

This is a discussion on The stifled sneeze ..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not humor but very marginally SD oriented.... at a pinch! Bear with me. Speaking with a guy I know from shooting out East, who is ...

Thread: The stifled sneeze .....

Assistant Administrator

The stifled sneeze .....

Not humor but very marginally SD oriented.... at a pinch! Bear with me.

Speaking with a guy I know from shooting out East, who is nearly as ancient as me - he told me of an incident last weekend when he stifled a sneeze. He ruptured retinal vessels in one eye - the bleed will have to be treated by some clever ''rinse out'' technique I believe, to replace the contaminated vitreous humor. Right now his shooting eye is totally fogged.

Why do I mention this? Simply to promote my opinion (based on my medical background) that this is potentially a bad thing to do. OK the guy has had some blood pressure issues but has some meds for that - but even so, chances are he has some arterial sclerosing and probably is more prone to this type of event.

I maintain however that even for younger folks stifling is still not desirable - due to the potentially massive spike it can produce in blood pressure. It could in theory even IMO precipitate a stroke in vulnerable people.

The small relevence to SD could be the need to not sneeze and give away our position if needing to stay relatively silent behind cover - witnessing an event perhaps. It is not necessarily silent, as the final stage of stifling can produce a marked ''grunt'' noise sometimes from the nose, even tho mouth kept closed.

So - solution?? For me it is sneezing into the crook of my elbow, providing I have a sleeved garment - thicker the better. If bare arm, then gather material from perhaps waist section of top garment. This will not be dead silent but - surprisingly quiet. It also at any time diminishes any spray - which can be either embarrassing or even spreading bugs!

Secondly, a full blown uncontained sneeze, which can be quite violent - can even cause vertebral or rib lesions, due to the effect on the thoracic cage. Our resident chiro may or may not agree on this - I believe it so having treated two patients I still remember from my osteopathic days - the unrestrained sneeze being coupled with sidebending/rotation.

To conclude then - let the energy of a sneeze be damped and regulated by sneezing into clothing - even a thick handherchief is fine too - this avoids that danger of stifling, or over exerting the rib cage when unrestrained.

I stress, I am only offering a suggestion based on opinion - but try it out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I encountered what I call the "Southern sneeze" when I moved to TN. I guess in New Jersey, we never had a problem making loud sneezes (and I don't mean sneezing ON people). The "Southern sneeze" is like an implosion - the person holds his nose and mouth shut and all you hear is a tiny "uff." I always thought it was weird to hold it in, and it's very common around here.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    That Betty is what I regard as very risky - in particular for older folks. The possibility of a blood pressure large peak is IMO very high.

For some of course it might work if the sneeze mechanism aborts but if not - the energy has to go somewhere.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Brings a whole new meaning to blowing out your brains.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Brings a whole new meaning to blowing out your brains.
    LOL!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have heard/read somewhere that sneezing generates a wind gust comparable to a Hurricane. I am not sure if that is true, but could imagine holding one in wouldn't be a good practice. I can't imagine holding one in, I mean it is a nice release. I feel so relaxed afterwards, you almost want to have a cigarette afterwards.

Administrator

Talking Interesting

I produce some mighty POWERFUL multiple sneezes.

My doggone Wife sometimes counts them Out Loud while I am in the process of sneezing. That drives me totally crazy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I encountered what I call the "Southern sneeze" when I moved to TN. I guess in New Jersey, we never had a problem making loud sneezes (and I don't mean sneezing ON people). The "Southern sneeze" is like an implosion - the person holds his nose and mouth shut and all you hear is a tiny "uff." I always thought it was weird to hold it in, and it's very common around here.
    I have done that for as long as I can remember and although I try to not do it, I always seem to. One of these days you will probably all read about an old phart in AZ sneezed himself to death. It will probably be this time of year....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I just let her rip! I can't hold it back like that, I don't want to either. When I see people doing this (my GF does this sometimes) I really can't understand how it can be done because I expel lot's of pressure when I sneeze and don't want an internal explosion.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I encountered what I call the "Southern sneeze" when I moved to TN...
    You are absolutely right. My grandmothers in Nashville and Memphis, and my great-aunt in Booneville, MS, all used to do that. My grandfather, on the other hand, would let it rip, and turn it into a rebel yell. Colorful.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    When I sneeze, it sounds like "heh-PLAAAAH!" and is sure is loud. I get a lot of weird looks, too. I tried to do the implosion-sneeze out of politeness once, and I almost blew my eardrums out.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Man...when I sneeze, the neighbor's windows rattle, and they always call to ask what blew up....

I wouldn't dare stiffle one.....the results could be really embarrasing...

Links