bowflex, anyone own or use one?

This is a discussion on bowflex, anyone own or use one? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi all, new user here posting a question. Any members here got a bowflex? If so are they worth the money?...

Hi all, new user here posting a question. Any members here got a bowflex? If so are they worth the money?

had one, also had a crossbow. they are both nice machines, but you can do anything you want to with some stretch bands and some dumbells. You'd be better off investing $130 in P90X, that will whip you in shape.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I have several pulling duty as a clothes hanger. Free weights cause you to use supportive muscles.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I really want to do the P90X, I need it!!! My bro had great results from his Bowflex but now he is doing the P90X and he loves it!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

P90X is a much better investment than any weight machine.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

P90 x wants 90 minutes every day...that is it's "secret" ;)

I have a Bowflex and it is a good machine but not a wonder machine. It is faster to switch between exercises etc but it is still a workout. I think people think the machine is going to take the "work" out of the workout and when it doesn't happen that way they lose interest. Just IMHO. It takes a lot less room and is easy to move around etc

VIP Member
    'Free weights'. Don't skimp - buy olympic standard bars & wheels (no walmart junk). Iron dumbbells are great too. A decent setup will likely be cheaper than any gimmick system. Start light, focus on proper form and the strength will come and the fat will melt.

Agreed. Compound free weight exercises are definitely the way to go. For a very basic yet very effective beginner program, pick up a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It continues to do wonders for me. I'm 30 pounds lighter and significantly stronger.

Brian

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Step-dad had one... wasn't too impressed.... I like machines and free weights, but it wasn't that great... he had the one that looked like this:

My wife used our Bowflex for years... our laundry was hung on it to dry.
    :-)

My opinion is that gimmicks may fire you up initially, but lose their luster soon after. You can often spot bowflex on craigslist for $.01 on the dollar. I suggest you start witha low cost method, then move up to more expensive equipment when you have proven to yourself that you can stick with a training regimen first.
    Plus, depending on your goal, cardio first, then strength. Put your shoes on and start walking!

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Quote Originally Posted by boomba View Post
    Hi all, new user here posting a question. Any members here got a bowflex? If so are they worth the money?
    I tried a bud's Bowflex, but bought a Crossbow. Used it for three years. I enjoyed it. Then I joined a gym and gave it away. I've not been to the gym in a while now. I miss the Crossbow and am getting fat.

I have a bowflex revolution, very vesatile, a lot of different workouts. I got it cheap from a guy in craigslist, he purchased it and never used it.
    I alternate between the bowflex and free weights.

I have an old Powerpro XTL with the leg attachment. I have mine maxed out with 410 lbs of rods. I have had it since 1999.

It is very durable and allows you to get a good workout. It is more like Nautilus equipment (they now own Bowflex) than using free weights even though your stabilizer muscles are used unlike with "machines".

It serves it's purpose but 300 lbs on it are nothing like 300 lbs of free weights. I can bench press 300 lbs on the Bowflex but nowhere near that in the gym with free weights.

I am finally admitting that I am no longer 25 years old and using something like the Bowflex is a good safe alternative for me. I have a set of Powerblock dumbbells too and between the 2 I can give myself a pretty tiring workout.

If you can find a used one on Craigslist I say go for it but don't pay for a new one. Spend your money on dumbbells if you are going to do that.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

The P90X workouts I have done were like 58min. except for yoga, it's like a hour and a half. Then it's like 10 min. of warm up and a few minutes of cool down, and it will show you real quick just how tough you really aren't....lol

Links